+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
General Chat Thread, Diaries in General; Why do staff in schools still get given paper diaries? We give out laptops to all teachers, and exchange email ...
  1. #1

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822

    Diaries

    Why do staff in schools still get given paper diaries? We give out laptops to all teachers, and exchange email accounts to all staff - so they all have access to a computerised diary. Why do we insist on buying bits of paper all the time?

  2. #2

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Because it's too much for them, bless their little cotton socks.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,748
    Thank Post
    79
    Thanked 288 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    70
    Becuase its much easier just to let teachers do as they wish and provide then with a million ways of doing things rather than stifling their creativity with the right way!.

  4. #4

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    The average meeting comes about like this at the moment:

    Person 1 proposes meeting to person 2. Person 2 checks paper diary and sets a time. Person 2 and Person 1 go off to Person 3, Person 3 checks diary and finds time doesn't suit, so all 3 have to find a new suitable time. Repeat for each extra person.

    So a meeting can take several hours to be agreed.

    By email it would be as simple as this:

    Person 1 looks in the calendars of person 2, 3 etc... and chooses a time, then creates the meeting in their calendar, adding each person.

    Each person then confirms and voila, done. Can take as little as 2 minutes.

  5. #5
    pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,128
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 118 Times in 99 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The average meeting comes about like this at the moment:

    Person 1 proposes meeting to person 2. Person 2 checks paper diary and sets a time. Person 2 and Person 1 go off to Person 3, Person 3 checks diary and finds time doesn't suit, so all 3 have to find a new suitable time. Repeat for each extra person.

    So a meeting can take several hours to be agreed.

    By email it would be as simple as this:

    Person 1 looks in the calendars of person 2, 3 etc... and chooses a time, then creates the meeting in their calendar, adding each person.

    Each person then confirms and voila, done. Can take as little as 2 minutes.
    Ahh yes but your assuming Person 1,2 & 3 have common sense and a logical mind, these are teachers you know

  6. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    I have just been told that when exchange was introduced here, no training was given! That's just ridiculous. I think an INSET session may well be in order here.

  7. #7

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    370
    Thanked 374 Times in 332 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    This is the first year we won't be providing diaries to staff as we wish to push the use of electronic calendars through our FirstClass system.

    If staff prefer to still use a diary they have to purchase either themself or through department capitation.

    I use a PDA with my calendar as well as the headteacher and a couple of other senior members of staff and we find it so much easier.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    181
    Thanked 211 Times in 171 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    I find the good old paper based whole school diary very handy when I want to write "Exchange Server is down" to be noted in morning briefing

  9. #9
    Pete10141748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,356
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    I suspect it's something to with the astounding lack of computer literate people employed in schools.

  10. #10
    daz666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eureka
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    well call me old fashiond but i like the good old paper diary as when im out on school tech visits and the internet is down or the computers are slow you dont have to wait for a paper diary to bootup login and find the site is down. plus we dont have pdas etc.......

  11. #11

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by daz666 View Post
    well call me old fashiond but i like the good old paper diary as when im out on school tech visits and the internet is down or the computers are slow you dont have to wait for a paper diary to bootup login and find the site is down. plus we dont have pdas etc.......
    Get a PDA then. You can get Palm Tungsten E2 for 100 (or less if you shop around). Or a HP iPaq 220 for 120 (and you can claim 20 back from HP I think at the moment).

  12. #12
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Get a PDA then. You can get Palm Tungsten E2 for 100 (or less if you shop around). Or a HP iPaq 220 for 120 (and you can claim 20 back from HP I think at the moment).
    Give me the money than with that attitude.

    Paper diaries are awesome, sitting here next to me, never have the downfall of a slow machine waiting for appointments, I can take if anywhere, and if my laptop fails, I have all the information I need.

    You know, NOT EVERYTHING in a school has to be done electronic, or in some way bolted within the ICT deployment in school.

  13. #13
    daz666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eureka
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Hmm 2.00 versus 100-120 pounds i know the one im going for......

  14. #14

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Give me the money than with that attitude.

    Paper diaries are awesome, sitting here next to me, never have the downfall of a slow machine waiting for appointments, I can take if anywhere, and if my laptop fails, I have all the information I need.

    You know, NOT EVERYTHING in a school has to be done electronic, or in some way bolted within the ICT deployment in school.
    Quote Originally Posted by daz666 View Post
    Hmm 2.00 versus 100-120 pounds i know the one im going for......
    So both of you can't read then?

    A few posts above, I described the process of arranging meetings with a paper diary, and then one with the electronic system. The time saved by using an electronic system would far outweigh the initial investment cost.

    Do you see IBM using paper diaries? How about the county council? RM?

    Yes, not everything needs to be done with ICT, but the point of ICT is to make people's lives easier and make tasks that previously took an age to do now take a couple of seconds. I doubt you say 'I prefer to write my letters out by hand, because computers could be down' or 'I'll pay for everything with cash, as the computer systems running card payments may be down'...

    Diaries are a very obvious area of life which should be electronic.
    Last edited by localzuk; 16th July 2008 at 03:31 PM.

  15. #15

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Give me the money than with that attitude.
    Mine cost 0 (free mobile upgrade).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •