+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dear Admins in General; When one creates a forum called 'Message the Admins' one would expect an Admin to view ones post....
    Thank Post

Dear Admins

When one creates a forum called 'Message the Admins' one would expect an Admin to view ones post.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry if you feel that not responded very quickly to your post. I can say that has been viewed but has been very busy recently. I will endeavour to reply to this post by end of tonight but sometimes takes a day or so for us to respond to non-urgent queries as remember we have life outside of edugeek (not much of one but little bit of one) .

Regards

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never mind a life ... I'll never get one of those. Some of us also have a day job ... and it runs into being and evening job ... and then an early morning job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Sorry if you feel that not responded very quickly to your post. I can say that has been viewed but has been very busy recently. I will endeavour to reply to this post by end of tonight but sometimes takes a day or so for us to respond to non-urgent queries as remember we have life outside of edugeek (not much of one but little bit of one) .

Regards

Russell
    You sure respond quick when someone uses the word sh1t... and put penalty points on a member... pathetic

5. Thanks to Grommit from:

Oops_my_bad (19th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Depends on which one of the admins the post was for, there are a number of site admins and other moderators that can deal with other day to day housekeeping so what's your problem?

If there is a no swearing policy then everyone is expected to abide by it.

Ben

Thank Post
    You just can't get the staff these days

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    You sure respond quick when someone uses the word sh1t... and put penalty points on a member... pathetic
    Wow, bitter much? I know that the rules were changed rather suddenly and I personally think that there should have been and still should be a site wide warning of the new tougher stance on that kind of thing but it is their site.

By the looks of it there is slowly more and more pressure being put on the site by various parties to become more professional because the site is getting larger and its role in the IT community is changing. If it wants to have a respected voice when it comes to speaking for techs as a group then unfortunately things on the forum must be reigned in a bit. This to improve the image of the forum and add credibility of the kind that is respected by the generally strait laced by the book types that that sign cheques and write policies.

Just my current take on the situation but I think that its fairly accurate. Any admins are welcome to prove me wrong.

Oh and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Wow, bitter much? I know that the rules were changed rather suddenly and I personally think that there should have been and still should be a site wide warning of the new tougher stance on that kind of thing but it is their site.

By the looks of it there is slowly more and more pressure being put on the site by various parties to become more professional because the site is getting larger and its role in the IT community is changing. If it wants to have a respected voice when it comes to speaking for techs as a group then unfortunately things on the forum must be reigned in a bit. This to improve the image of the forum and add credibility of the kind that is respected by the generally strait laced by the book types that that sign cheques and write policies.

Just my current take on the situation but I think that its fairly accurate. Any admins are welcome to prove me wrong.

Oh and sorry for hijacking the thread.
    I don't think the rules were exactly 'changed' - it is just that professional behaviour was expected and generally obtained - and then there was a rash of obscenity and unsuitable postings which had to be dealt with. I don't consider myself strait-laced at all, I just find rudeness and swearing unnecessary and the last refuge of the adjectively challenged!
    I also feel that it dilutes the strength of an argument and makes the poster look immature and childish.
    We can all put in the bad words ourselves!!
    And yes, there is a difference between speaking to an admin and speaking to a mod - the latter can (and do) edit for language etc and there are more of us - hence the speed of response.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I don't think the rules were exactly 'changed' - it is just that professional behaviour was expected and generally obtained - and then there was a rash of obscenity and unsuitable postings which had to be dealt with. I don't consider myself strait-laced at all, I just find rudeness and swearing unnecessary and the last refuge of the adjectively challenged!
    I also feel that it dilutes the strength of an argument and makes the poster look immature and childish.
    And yes, there is a difference between speaking to an admin and speaking to a mod - the latter can (and do) edit for language etc and there are more of us - hence the speed of response.
    I accept that the rules may not have changed but the enforcement and level of lenience definatly have. I don't disagree with most of the calls made but there has been a perceptible shift that I think would have been better accepted if it had bee preceded by a warning about the new measures and a short sentence outlining why.

I agree with all of your other points and do try to stay within the rules myself. I was not calling anyone on this site strait laced but was referring more to the LEA/BECTA/Government groups that the top level of the forums leadership may end up interacting with.

Are the admins not able to edit the posts as well? Your post above raises the question.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 16th July 2008 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Of course all admins and mods can both edit posts and threads etc... but there are things that only the admins can do and mods can't but as there are more mods then things like post edits etc... are done quicker.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Of course all admins and mods can both edit posts and threads etc... but there are things that only the admins can do and mods can't but as there are more mods then things like post edits etc... are done quicker.

Ben
    I expected so but was inspired to curiosity and decided that I would ask as It was even almost on topic

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing as well swearers dont realise is that a fair few people cant even browse the thread they swear in (as I think you have had problems with this witch in the past) if they use word based website filtering that is becoming more commonplace.
    We did not use the infraction system heavily at the start until everything settled in. We did not have the option before other then banning which did happen if users were bad enough.
    Like the others said, mods + admins get notified when a post is reported (for whatever reason) and any of us can respond and deal with the swearing/spam posts so they are dealt with quickly. Only admins get notified when a post arrives in the "Message the admins" section and one of us reposponde as soon as possible. This response can be delayed when we have admin discussions in regards to the post and what action to take. One thing to note is you only posted the message yesterday at 12:56pm so you have left us with only 24 hours to reply to your message before saying we are not replying.

As for the swearing most people dont mind using %^£$ to express themselves and only when needed. People that do not accept this policy dont need to bother posting. Its not like edugeek is a requirement, if you disagree badly its up to you. There are plenty of sites that allow this behaviour, post there instead.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 16th July 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Explaining witch more

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post

Are the admins not able to edit the posts as well? Your post above raises the question.
    Sorry, I didn't explain that very well, did I? I meant that all Mods and Admins can edit and delete but only admins can do the more complex tasks as Plexer said.

ZeroHour - I think your sentence about me needs a comma somewhere!
    Or maybe you do all have problems with witch???
    Last edited by witch; 16th July 2008 at 04:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Bla bla bla... this is a 14 year old prude parrot speak mate..

So if I call you a "festering pile of hypermenorrhea" that would impress you yet calling you a "little Sh1t" makes me look dumb, inarticulate and of limited vocabulary
    Last edited by Grommit; 16th July 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not impressed by either, your insult should at least make sense not just be a random pile of words. How exactly do you get a pile of hypothermia?

I think that we could do with yet another smiley

Last edited by SYNACK; 16th July 2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling error

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast