+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, PS3 or Bluray Player in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Most definately the PS3. If you are going to use it primarily for Movies then I would advise getting the bluetooth remote which will set you back £15-20 but worth it as it saves the hassle of messing around with the controller.

And MGS4 will definately change your mind about using it for games!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inbir316 View Post
    agree, quality piece of technology! ive accidently left mine on over night and didnt make an inch of noise. you could always get a small pc with a graphic card that has HD capabilities and hook that up? my suggestion if you dont wish to fork out about £300 for a console you will hardly use and a blu-ray player which will cost about £150+ (not sure on price)
    Be careful leaving it on though. I think they ran some tests and found that it drew more power when turned on than a fridge.

With energy prices the way they are right now...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotmk View Post
    the 80Gb version I think is goin to be same as 40gb, I could be wrong, as in, still only has 2 usb, no memory card slots , no backwards compatibleness.

Just buy an Laptop 2.5" sata 200gb hard drive and replace it with the 40gb one, I did, so mines now a 200Gb PS3.

The current hard drive is a seagate momentus 40gb, I picked up seagate momentus 200g on play for under £100
    How easy are they to replace?

And will I be setting fire to my warrenty? (I'm guessing yes on the latter)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMason View Post
    Be careful leaving it on though. I think they ran some tests and found that it drew more power when turned on than a fridge.

With energy prices the way they are right now...
    yeah dont worry about that i made that mistake once cuz i was downloading a few demos and forgot about it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMason View Post
    How easy are they to replace?

And will I be setting fire to my warrenty? (I'm guessing yes on the latter)
    Sorry for late reply, been busy!!! very Busy!!!!

Stick in a USB memory stick select backup and it will copy safe all you saved games, etc. Open side of PS3, slide open case, pull out drive, put in new drive, turn on PS3, it will detect new drive and format it, then restore backups from USB drive, and done.

You will of course have to installo the games themselves again. but small price to pay for more space, they recently got a 500GB Samsung, and that works too. though only 5400rpm, so I would stick to 200GB as its 7200rpm for the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotmk View Post
    Stick in a USB memory stick select backup and it will copy safe all you saved games, etc. Open side of PS3, slide open case, pull out drive, put in new drive, turn on PS3, it will detect new drive and format it, then restore backups from USB drive, and done.
    Mmm, I'm too interested in this. However I have a number of Singstar songs downloaded. I think they can be downloaded again without repaying, but - if I plugged in a USB ext hard drive, would the PS3 back these up with the game saves?

Also, back on topic, I had a XBox 360 + HD-DVD which I've just replaced with a PS3. As a DVD/BD player the PS3 is the best I've ever had, certainly much better than the 360! I do have a standalone DVD player but It's never been turned on since I got the PS3!

Thank Post
    I wouldn't bother with blu-ray if I were you, soon the studios will catch on that you can provide HD movies over the internet (hey in fact you can already, just not legally). I have a PS3 but with blu-ray movies at £20+ it never really seems worth it. The PS3 is a good blu-ray player though, if the price of the standalone player is similar then I would get a PS3, which will allow you to play games and download content when Sony gets its act together.

Thank Post
    You will also need a copy of the PS3 firmware when you change the HDD. This can be on a usb drive, and can be downloaded from the ps3 site. I don't believe this used to be needed but I was reading up recently as I wanted to change mine too (luckily I got a 60GB before they stopped making them - backwards compatibility is a must for my old MGS games )

The is one huge advantage the PS3 has over the 360, optical drive noise. If it's multiformat I get it on PS3 now because I got fed up listening to the drive while playing mass effect on 360

Thank Post
    If singstore works like the PSN store, the items you have already purchased are marked and you can download them again no problem. I dont have singstar so I cant confirm.

Games from the store arent backed-up and need to be downloaded again. Of the 65GB of stuff I have on mine, a recent XMB-backup was 25GB, so depending on how much you have on the HD a USB stick might not be enough.

The US already has a 'video' store on PSN where you can download HD or SD movies, also timed rentals. However this cant be accessed in the UK, not sure when it's available to Europe.

Sony bring out a 160GB PS3 before "holiday season". Upgrade wise the Western Digital 320GB 2.5" for about £50 is great value for money and it wont need upgrading for a while!

Keep your PS3 fan exits well ventilated and its quieter than my TV or laptop, even the fish pump is louder!

P.s. If you get one game, get MGS4! (added bonus of 'Metal Gear Online' too)
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 22nd September 2008 at 01:00 AM.

Thank Post
    The US already has a 'video' store on PSN where you can download HD or SD movies, also timed rentals. However this cant be accessed in the UK, not sure when it's available to Europe
    Xbox 360 store has had this for a while now, though the both the HD and regular format movies for rental only, you can't actually "buy" them.

The is one huge advantage the PS3 has over the 360, optical drive noise. If it's multiformat I get it on PS3 now because I got fed up listening to the drive while playing mass effect on 360
    I have an additional external fan system on my 360 which ups the noise by quite a bit more, but I've gotten so used to it now that I don't notice.
    Maybe it's from working 3 feet away from 5 servers all day long?

As for DVD playback, I tend to use my 360 but get a bit concerned after a few hours having already suffered 1 RROD
    (thanks to playing endless hours of Assassin's Creed )

I've thought about getting the HD-drive for the 360 or a PS3 for blu-ray, not made up my mind yet but leaning towards to the PS3, especially as I already have a PSP to go with it

Thank Post
    It took awhile to shake out, but the DRM nastiness associated with the Sony Video Store is becoming an issue now that those tiny PS3 hard drives are beginning to fill-up. Turns out that if you delete purchased video to free-up space then you'll have to place a call to Sony customer service to authorize a one-time only re-download from your PSN download list. Not too horrible, after all, you can just swap out the hard drive yourself and then migrate all your video, right? Probably not -- as spelled out by the terms and conditions of Sony's Backup Utility:

If you perform any of the following operations after backing up, copyright-protected video files in the backup data may not restore correctly.

* Format the hard disk
    * Restore the PS3™ system
    * Move copyright-protected video
    * Download copyright-protected video
    * Play copyright-protected video that has a time restriction for the first time

In other words, your PS3 (and up to 3 PSPs) owns the purchased video, you do not.
    PS3 Video Store provides more reason to avoid DRM - Engadget

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12