Poll: Will you be striking?

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Strike in General; One word, Compromise. "We aren't taking the 3 year deal but we'll take 2.4% this year, see you next year ...
    Thank Post
    One word, Compromise. "We aren't taking the 3 year deal but we'll take 2.4% this year, see you next year so you have time to find the money." We also get to see if their falling inflation story pans out

Thank Post

I think the point is that the public sector has had below inflation pay rises for the last 5+ years. Those were the 'good times' when money was floating about but still they never got to have their 'share' unlike the private sector. Now when the chips are down they are asked to sacrifice their salary even more for the good of the economy. There is no upside for public sector workers here, why should they accept an effective pay cut each year? If you put workers in a position where they earn less and less each year, cannot buy a house, cannot run a car, cannot raise a family, cannot go on holiday, then who will take these jobs?

The way things are going if I was leaving school just now, I would be extremely tempted go to Uni as much as I can, rack up student debts that I would never pay back (thereby gaining an excellent education for free), get as many credit cards as I could and have fun in my 20s then file for bankruptcy. If I can never own a house / car etc then why not. Then I would move abroad and get a decent job / salary with my Masters degree / PhD in a different cheaper country and start a new life. Beats 20+ years of working 9-5 for a pittance, with no job security, staying in a rundown rented flat and living off baked beans in the vain hope I can save some money.

(Then again I may have been reading The Idler too much)
    The Idler

They should have told the government to get stuffed years ago, and bargained for a pay rise at least always matching inflation with possible reviews to see if they merit an increase on top. That is the only fair deal.

The unions are in a weaker position now. If unemployment rises, the government can with some justification say that you are lucky to have a job at all, and that there is no money to fund pay rises due to the economic crisis.
    Last edited by somabc; 17th July 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Unfortunatly there never has been a golder era for public sector workers, tax payers always see other areas that they would rather see their money spent on.

I can't see the government backing down as they don't have any spare money and any available cash will soon go to feeding the increasing load on the benefits system, the one that hopefully we won't have to rely on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    One word, Compromise. "We aren't taking the 3 year deal but we'll take 2.4% this year, see you next year so you have time to find the money." We also get to see if their falling inflation story pans out
    Good idea..... BUT

If you look back to last years local government pay award, the unions said precisely what you have suggested, they told the employers they would accept a below inflation deal in 2007 but they would be asking for a more equitable deal in 2008.

The employers have clearly ignored what the unions told them last year.

That's why the strike was called.

Thank Post
    ..... and don't believe the lies about being unable to afford it!!!! They were able to afford nice pay rises for themselves and have 11 billion pounds sitting in the bank ....... 3 billion unallocated!!!! These reserves have been built up over the last few years because of savings local government workers have made through working more efficiently and accepting below inflation wage rises for the past 5 years.

An interesting article at www.investmentmarkets.co.uk not the most left wing or worker friendly publication!!!!

Some of the more pertinent points are as follows (this was published last September so is only slightly out of date.):

"The figures released today by the Office for National Statistics reflectd a 3.5% increase in the average wage on the year, despite very weak public sector wage rises over the same period and analysts predictions that wages would not rise as steeply as a result of a tightening credit environment and ongoing market volatility."

"Meanwhile, it was the private sector that contributed to the bulk of the wage growth over the period, with the lack of public sector wage increases of hot political relevance at the moment. "

ie. The overall average increase in wages was held down by very small increases in the public sector. I cannot find the link at the moment but I'm sure the average wage increase in the private sector (which includes bonuses and perks we have no access to!!) was 4% last year!
    Last edited by SteveT; 18th July 2008 at 09:37 AM.

Thank Post
    While I agree that eventually we should get a payrise spending the last couple of years building up an emergency or contingency fund through cost and efficiency savings and then just handing it back out would be madness. I think it’s very sensible that local councils and government have a few billion put aside for e.g an unexpected flood or unpredicted natural disaster, frittering it away on a payrise would be madness as it’s not just one year they would have to find it again the next year and the next. Maybe it could be a one off bonus but again that would be silly i'd be very dissapointed if local government gave away that money

Allot of that unallocated money will eventually be going on improving flood defences all over the country and needs to be there to help hard hit areas, Hull anyone? people still living in caravans there. That little flood cost billions fortunatly there was money saved up, Foot and mouth is another example that cleared out the governments 20 billion emergency fund.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 18th July 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Thank Post
    ... so let me see, local government workers have to pay for this while the private sector and national government workers carry on as before?? Doesn't seem very equitable to me!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    ... so let me see, local government workers have to pay for this while the private sector and national government workers carry on as before?? Doesn't seem very equitable to me!!!
    Welcome to capitalism...

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234