+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Too technical in General; We've had to reinstall an XP box yesterday. Today the user said that the internet wasn't working and she couldn't ...

Thank Post

Too technical

We've had to reinstall an XP box yesterday. Today the user said that the internet wasn't working and she couldn't get onto any of her web sites. I pointed out to her that is was working and that she had been on google today (I can tell this by checking our Bloxx firewall). Anyway I sussed that her bookmarks weren't setup, so I said "Open your browser, find the site you want, and add it to your bookmarks". "But I don't have a browser" says the user. "So, how do you get onto the internet?", says the ever patient me. "I use Internet Explorer" says user. "That's your web browser" says I. "But there are no bookmarks"....

So I wander over to the other side of the school and I showsher how to add a bookmark. She correctly pointed out that IE doesn't SAY "Bookmarks"; it says "Favorites". I'd forgotten about this - I'm an Opera/Firefox/Konqueror/Netscape/Lynx user and all these have "Bookmarks" - OK so I guess I should use the "official" M$ terminology.

The user then rants that she doesn't know much about computers, just enough to do her job and she wished that I wouldn't use techncial terms like "bookmark" and "browser". And they wonder why I keep a bottle in my bottom drawer...

Thank Post

Re: Too technical

To be fair, a large part of the problem is that there is lead from goverment to get al schools wired up and using IT in lessons and so lot times people just chuck technology in particular situation and hope something happens magically.

Computers are tools; not magic wands. Staff should be properly trained before using IT. There may come a time that CLAIT or ECDL becomes as a mandatory a qualification as GCSEs or first degree.

Thank Post

I dunno, browser is a very technical term, like internet, or windows.....

I have plenty of patience for staff like this, bless them, when they start ranting, I get a little shorter, but when they just say "i know nothing, help me please", I could give them a whole day. Better than staff just complaining when they know how it works etc, but just moan...

Chris

Thank Post

I do wonder if what we can consider as technical term or just common language. I must admit that sometimes i use to IT terms to a users without realising it.

With regards to the word browser, ive had occations where i have to say double click the big e to get ie open.

Thank Post

Oh don't get me going on technophobes! Teachers demand a laptop since they can't work without them, then they complain that they don't understand when I say please ensure your Outlook preview pane is turned off! And when I ask if they have checked that their anti virus definitions are up to date, they just say, probably not cos I don't go on the internet!! Oh, PLEEEEESE!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    I dunno, browser is a very technical term, like internet, or windows.....

I have plenty of patience for staff like this, bless them, when they start ranting, I get a little shorter, but when they just say "i know nothing, help me please", I could give them a whole day. Better than staff just complaining when they know how it works etc, but just moan...

Chris
    I agree! It so much easier to have patience with someone or at least makes an effort even if it is to acknowledge how little they know.

Thank Post

LOL. Sometimes the hardest thing about answering questions from staff is figuring out what level of understanding to pitch your answer at. Had a wake up call this week though when the bbc changed their morning news programme from bbc1 to bbc2. The upshot of this being that if you have digital tv and wanted to see your regional headlines you had to switch back to the analogue channel. The presenter actually said 'If you're having trouble changing channels you can call our special helpline...'
    There are actually people out there who can't change their tv channel?!?!?!
    I'm not sure i'd have the patience to man that phoneline. Well, not without answering along the lines of 'Well done sir you figured out how to use a telephone, welcome to the 21 century. Now what seems to be the trouble your wireless picture box?'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts

I once had a teacher repeatedly say that she's didn't need to have various software installed or her anti virus updated etc... one her laptop becuase she never used the school network she just plugged it into the internet, yes via the network point in her class room.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

^^ - yes, I have had that before at my last place, a few staff were like that!

Edit- I meant Plexers post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is not just staff who need the occasional nudging in the right direction ....

I have had a student come to me with a letter from parents demanding to know why we have had the student's website removed and that they were looking to take legal action as it was part of the students A Level coursework.

Turns out that the school's content filtering had kicked in ... and the student complained to their ISP instead of speaking to us ... the ISP had a look at the site and decided it breached the ToS and removed it ...

It was about genitalia piercings ... and had lots of pictures and descriptions on there.

When this was pointed out the the parents they were not in the slightest bit apologetic ... and then demanded that we host it in the school's server instead. We politely declined ... they threatened to take it to Governors ... we smiled and said "go on" ... at that point the student realised how stupid she had been ... changed her project to tattooing and we were happy to help her get things running again ... she was thankful, but the parents treated us like scum.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread