+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unions in General; I was wondering what union if any people belong to. At the moment I don't belong to any union which ...

Thank Post

Unions

I was wondering what union if any people belong to. At the moment I don't belong to any union which is really dangerous as I work in a special school.

Most the LSAs where I work belong to unison, but I am reluctant to join unison because they are going strike. I feel uncomfortable about people who work in a special school going on strike. I think that the parents of disabled children have enough problems without having their school shut. Although Unison are not prepared to except many special schools from the strike.

So after my ramblings. Do you belong to a union. If so which one and do they strike?

Thank Post
    Unison, and given the results of the poll not being overly conclusive, I won't be striking.

Thank Post
    I won't be striking as discussed in the other strike thread UNISON vote for strike

Thank Post
    When is the strike?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    16th and 17th July

Thank Post
    Unison here, and supporting the strike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    one thing i did want to ask, what union are the people in private schools in?
    i'm in unison at the moment, but if there is a more appropriate union for private school staff to be in, i'd rather join that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,661 Posts
    This thread covers the opinions of the members of these boards, pretty comprehensively

Unions - do we need them and who is in one?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Unison, and given the results of the poll not being overly conclusive, I won't be striking.
    The result of the poll is that the majority of those who bothered to vote, voted not to accept the offer on the table and to strike. Just what is inconclusive about that? That's how a democratic vote works. Abide by the majority.

Thank Post
    Are we predominantly IT professionals, or school professionals? I would guess most of us have more IT qualifications than teaching ones, so would a professional body such as the BCS be more appropriate? They certainly seem less shouty than a union. My only concern is with the legal cover - would BCS' legeal cover be appropriate for a school-based job?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BCS is a professional body in the same way that the GTC is for teachers. For Teachers it is compulsory and if you have a search for threads by me you will see that there has been a call for a compulsory register of IT professionals too.

However, they are not unions. If you are involved in teaching or 'instruction' then NASUWT will accept you (but only cover the teaching parts), ATL will cover you completely, ASCL will cover you if you are senior leadership and for the rest you have PAT, Unison and GMB ... which is actually the majority of people.

12. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

dhicks (7th July 2008), mark (6th July 2008)

Thank Post

Unions

I am in Unison - I cant believe some of you are not considering striking - (I understand about the special school situation). However I have been reading threads about the appalling wages schools technicans are on and cant see why you would want that level of pay to continue. We (Northampton Uni) went on strike last year to secure the cost of living pay rise, we won and we are getting a pay rise in two parts. Go on strike for goodness sake you they will continue to walk all over you if you dont.

Thank Post
    People have a right to make a choice and some have decided not to strike.

This strike isn't about levels of pay it's about this years cost of living increase, if it was about a general increase in technician pay level then i might think differently, however these posts are always poorly paid and the level is set by the schools not the LEA people know what these posts pay when they apply so can't really complain about the low salary.

Thank Post
    "I am in Unison - I cant believe some of you are not considering striking -"
    Some of us don’t believe striking is the best way forward this time. Not with Job evaluations due which are meant to sort out money problems and be back dated.

It seems wrong to me to strike now when money is being looked at in a little while. Surly we should wait and see how JE plays out then strike if it fails to sort the problems out.

I see it like.

Government-We are going look at your pay and backdate it if you get a rise.
    Union- lets strike over bad pay.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Personally I haven't joined UNISON because of this very problem;
    As far as I am concerned, if an organisation I belong to democratically decides to strike, then I should strike - otherwise why would I belong?
    But I don't agree in this case, and I can't afford to go without money for a day.
    This isn't the first time either, which is why I'm not in a union

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast