+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sophos, what do we REALLY think. in General; As I said in a previous thread I don't think Sophos is getting a fair crack of the whip, and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sophos, what do we REALLY think.

As I said in a previous thread I don't think Sophos is getting a fair crack of the whip, and those of us who have used it for years with no problems are keeping quiet about our experience with it.
    So come on, if you have used it with little or no problems please let us know, and if you do have problems let us know about them, you never know, it may be your fault!

Thank Post

Re: Sophos, what do we REALLY think.

Sophos for me does a job and for the most part, does it right.

The Enterprise console is a little frustrating sometimes when i can't see a PC even tho you know its there, rebooting the offending PC usually helps. Older machines tend to be the ones which dont play fair with Sophos, and a RIS sorts out the trouble makers (ive never had a Sophos install fail on a RISed machine... draw your own conclusions from that)

The only whinge i have is sometimes the routernt process gets stuck in a terminal loop on clients and kills the performance (only seen it happen about 3 times over a year period across 250ish different machines) and i get the odd memory leak issue on the server (appears every few months at worst) nothing a service restart wont fix.

All in all, for the price, you cant beat it.

I am in a different situation to the rest of you, because i am now in the private sector, i have a choice to change away from sophos, and to be honest, i dont want to.

Hope that helps.

Thank Post

Personally i've never had any big problems with it. Get the odd little thing, like it not wanting to install on certain machines, but after a quick rebuild it goes on no trouble and on certain machines it will update very very frequently, not that i mind that to be honest, it's just doing it's job. I think the only reason it's annoying is that you get staff in saying "i don't want it to keep running" "why does it have to do that so often" and i can hardly say "it's incase some is dumb enough to bring a virus onto the network in the middle of an ofsted inspection". Just find it odd that it doesn't update as much on others.

That a-side installation in straight forward, the setup is easy the interface is ok and it generally does the job you want it to do, which is protect you from virus's. What more can you ask?

Thank Post

Love it here. Apart from the dodgy console at the moment (which we have it on authority is being upgrade next month) everything else is fab. We adore their Tech Support as one of the best around we have to deal with. This was typified recently when a piece of software was installed on the server and we think it corrupted the MSDE setup. Sophos looked into and even contacted the company of the other piece of software to try and work it out with them. Ended up dialling in to our servers and running all kinds of tests and loggings over about 2 days ending up with them transferring the whole installation to another server for us and monitoring it all to check it was up to speed. I think we have only ever found one person on the support line that hasn't been able to almost straight away track down the problem or work through it us, and that one person apologised profusley as he had only started that week.
    Other love is the license to allow teachers to use Sophos at home and even setting up another remote library for us to allow them to connect to for updates, all within the current license so no extra charge.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've been using it since 2001 and to be honest other than a few installs that for some reason are especially resource hungry I've never suffered from any other problems, updates well and you can always specify times and frequency for the updates to be installed/checked for I prefer it from say Norton which can be a pain at times. Good piece of software all round.

Wes

Thank Post

Over the years we've used Dr Solomons, McAfee, Trend and Sophos. To be honest, they all more or less did what they were supposed to, but none of them have been problem free. Can't really remember McAfee, but Trend was a pain when it came to ghosting (had to recreate a GUID or got duplicate PCs in the console). Nowadays, I just want all software that comes in Windows Installer format and can be used with Group Policy Software Installation.

The new Sophos console is a bit better in some respects, but all I seem to do is spend all day typing in long usernames and passwords. Why oh why can't it remember them, or at least use the security context of the user I'm logged on as???

Thank Post

I dropped it 3 years ago. I hated it at the time, we weren't provided with the console under our lea agreement. Manual updates, stupid process of removing the whole thing and reinstalling it with that big ugly grey box. It missed viruses and when it did find one it didn't do anything about it. No central managment, no rescheduling of missed scans and some other mysterious issues that they were unble to help with.

Been happy with symantec since, although the nod32 managment interface has come along way since I last trialed it, I might look at that next renewal and compare prices.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So it's your LEAs fault for not giving you the full product (I would have words with them about that!), not Sophos. What your LEA did was to purcase a licence for individual installs and not for networks. That reeks of incompetance by whoever signed the licence agreement.

Thank Post

So DOS_Box, is SAV really the best enterprise AV product out there? Is there no way at all it can be improved?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm not saying that, it just seems to be the object of so many peoples ire that
    it may be judged unfairly by anyone wanting to investigate an AV solution for a school. Many of us here have had no problems with it, and it's time we just judged it fairly.

Thank Post

Enterprise manager hadn't been out for very long (mid 2003 it seems) when we changed the license, it was savadmin or nothing. The lack of an automatic update facility in the sophos client for so many years was a major pain in the ass. Sophos did not do well on viruses I *knew* were there, and it would not remove the ones it did find. There was no sensible central managment or grouping options. Symantec had them so I moved.

Sophos may well have all of the features I wanted now, but its just too late.

Thank Post

I loved the new management interface that was great but the problems with the clients meant I had to remove it as you were basically disabling most of the scanning options to get somewher near acceptable performance.
    I am currently back using the older version.

Thank Post

If so many people use it, can it really be that bad? Ok maybe it could be a little more user friendly, but the same can be said for a lot of things. Don't understand what the issue really is. If you don't like it use something else, if you do like carry on using it and if you've never used it and your looking for an AV suite then test it and see what you think of it.

To be honest i've had just as many issues with other AV systems like Trend and Norton. It's just a case of horses for courses. Which systems problems do you want to put up with assuming you have any. I've had a good run with Sophos and it works well. If they didn't work well they wouldn't be on the market and so popular, well i should hope not lol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How old are your oldest client PC though?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    The new Sophos console is a bit better in some respects, but all I seem to do is spend all day typing in long usernames and passwords. Why oh why can't it remember them, or at least use the security context of the user I'm logged on as???
    If you are on the V5 then phone up Tech Support. Once stations are all set up you shouldn't need to keep typing in passwords. After the initial discovery and installation then I don't think we've had to retype a password once, except for new batches of stations.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast