+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Sophos, what do we REALLY think. in General; Up till recently we had some celeron 533's which were getting on. Other than that about 3 years old now. ...
    Thank Post

Re: Sophos, what do we REALLY think.

Up till recently we had some celeron 533's which were getting on. Other than that about 3 years old now. They all ran XP though. I've always been pretty pleased with it, any issues i have had have usually been partly my own fault anyway and always easy to resolve. I've never had to use the support at all. Just works well for me.

Thank Post

Had no problems with the old version, and the new one with the enterprise console went smoothly, we just keep the usage under control by capping the update download to 16kbps.

Doesn't seem to effect performance at all, even on our older stations, and it does seem to keep the viruses at bay.

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I like the v5 console. Its much better than the old one. However, I've had far too much random breakage on clients. Clients not updating, clients not being detected or clients being offline when they aren't.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I like the v5 console. Its much better than the old one. However, I've had far too much random breakage on clients. Clients not updating, clients not being detected or clients being offline when they aren't.
    Geoff, that sums up a lot of my problems with it. Its the extremly poor RMS setup on it, the console is nice, and the reports are useful, but its become a big resource hog, and has more memory leaks than my seive at home that I use for straining pasta

Sophos support starts great, but after day 4 of trying to fix one problem, numerous Webex sessions with them etc.... they start getting fed up and passing your round from pillar to post etc and you get no where fast.

They still have 1 call open from October from me for a major memory leak on the Server tools, it managed to use near enough 1GB of memory on a server managing 300 workstations! The initial responce was does it meet our system requirements and have you thought of purchasing an upgrade to Server 2003?

Now I decide when to upgrade my servers not them, they list Server 2000 as a supported OS, so why should they practically force me into purchasing an upgrade? That is what I have done in the end to stop me wasting many many hours each week restarting servers and reinstalling clients, as when the server ground to a hault, the clients also started locking up as the auto update would go on and on and on and on and on and on and on (you get my drift) so would refuse to log off or restart, so pulling the plug was the only option.

Again, Sophos pointed to the server, which was within there specs, but still they could not solve the problems we were having. So they have driven me round the twist completly, before V5 I liked and recommended Sophos, but due to the large number of issues I have had with it I cannot recommend it to anybody, unless its completly free then its a good option.

Things like with XPs SP2 firewall, having to open 3 ports and add a program exception to ensure that Sophoses RMS will communicate with the server is annoying, and on XP home, its very annoying. This last update that required a restart, some machines have now been restarted more than 10 times and still they report back they need a restart!!!! The database contained over 15,000 errors / alerts, and 0 of them were virus alerts, and they still cannot solve the issue as to why we get so many errors, they keep saying its machine X, so its gets re-RISed, re-installed etc and it looks good, but then another at random will go silly, but they cannot tell us whats doing it, or why.

I think they basically released it 12 months too early for the world, it needed far more testing before releasing. We were on the phone just over 24hrs after relasing it due to bugs, problems etc with it, now fine we were early adopters, but the support staff said they had no access to the right documents until 1 week after launch! and a manager confirmed that they had not got the correct infastructure in place at there end for it to be supported yet, so my view is they got off on the wrong foot, and it carried on that way for us.

I am keen to see the new V6 versions, I am interested to see if they have improved the RMS to ensure it works correctly, but somehow I doubt it will have improved much as its supposed to be more Enterprise Console updates and client re-development and to provide a wider range of support for the different OSes, and provide full intergration of the Sophos Client Firewall, Spyware and other utilities that the Sophos group are selling. So I would think RMS from what I was told the other month by them is not going to get much of an update, which I think if they fix that, it may be a better program and not break with "error - an unknow error has occured"

Anyway, thats my £1 worth of thoughts, I hope Sophos listen to customers and do the decent thing and sort the problems out and listen. I know that there costs have gone up again this year, and I have confirmed today that I can actually get Symantec and Trend for practically the same money as Sophos on a 3 year 300 machine deal, so for us its wide open for choice

I have got Trend on a 30 day trial, now they say I may need to open 1 port, but the machines are talking perfectly happy without that, so thats what I like, clever, inteligent software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts

Sophos 5 in my opinion overall is much better than Sophos 3.x. My only criticisms are that the Enterprise Console definitely has a memory leak - I'm also using 2000 Server SP4. Initially I thought it might be WSUS as I run everything on one server. If I had the money I would definitely have separate servers.

The client itself (2000/XP) is much more resource hungry, however it has a new GUI and is very clear and easy to navigate. I like the fact the shield simply flashes and no window pops up to indicate "Sophos is updating". Definitely frustrating in the past when presenting PowerPoint on a whiteboard.

I've also heard rumours old 9x clients are problematic with Sophos 4.x however this may of changed since it was launched sometime ago.

We're now running Sophos 5.2 on XP which visibly seems no different from previous Sophos 5 updates. Will Sophos 6 build further? Is anyone testing it if it's in beta?

Thank Post

v3 did indeed suck and I often found that it didn't remove the viruses it found without a lot of prompting (often making the problem worse by denying access to files).

v5 is a lot better but it does have issues with some machines and I have noticed a couple of dodgy memory leaks.

On the whole I do like it though and it serves a purpose

Thank Post

I agree that it was released far too early. I had a nightmare getting the thing installed on the server and ended up having to move it to another one which didn't have the previous version of Sophos on.

The console is frustrating as hell. Loads of errors unrelated to viruses, computers not showing as on when they've been on for hours and the annoying warnings that a machine hasn't been seen for 24 hours so PANIC.

Oh and the fact that it wouldn't automatically remove and reinstall the new version so I ended up having to manually remove about 50 machines.

Saying that though the updating seems to work okay, the scanning works nicely in the background and the grouping is a great addition.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

I must admit, the error logging, especially over locked or corrupt files is far to extensive. I only want to see virus alerts, not every little problem Sophos encounters.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,824 Posts

As I have said before, I use Sophos both manually on an NT4 system and the new one on a Win 2000 system. The former does involve manually updating every Monday but it takes me about 10 minutes (NT4 won't run new version despite what website says!!)
    V5 is great - I run it on both XP and 98 machines and cannot really say I have had problems. The 98 machines run slowly when it is updating but that isnt really a problem - I tell people to wait for the little shield to stop flashing before they do anything major.
    The fact that we can all use Sophos on home computers as long as we work for Dorset County is the best thing of all, even if some of the teachers don't seem to get it!
    In the past, I have found that the Norton removal tools for Sasser and Blaster were better than Sophos, but I have had no issues since. And I agree that the support is very good.
    It would be nice to see a 'symptoms' area on the website as at the moment you seem to have to know the name of the virus in order to find out what it does!
    We used to have McAfee and caught all sorts of viruses.
    I havent used any other products but would happily endorse Sophos

Thank Post

Used Sophos (like most schools) for years until last renewal came round a year or so ago, when they wanted to triple the price. Took that as an opportunity to trial various others and went with Panda in the end, who price matched Sophos. The acid test for me was when I uninstalled Sophos from half a dozen test machines, installed Panda and straight away it found nasties that shouldn't have been there (40 such on one machine alone). I was always reasonably confident of Sophos detection until that. Panda also includes antispyware in it's product too, which is a bonus. It's not perfect - I can't always get scheduled scans to run properly through the management console for example - but for me, it's an improvement over Sophos...

Thank Post

HSBC Bank use Sophos (from my days there), and I have to say that v5 (which we use here) is an improvement over previous versions.

As for Panda, I tried the home version of that and it ground my machine (Athlon 2800) to a halt and wouldn't boot! That was very messy. As a result, I've stayed away from Panda ever since!

I would like to see an auto-cleanup with the viruses - it's very good at telling me that there's a virus on the machine through the console, but not whether it's actually been dealt with. Is this a common thing, or is something missing from our settings to auto-quarantine a virus? I tend to have to physically go to the machine to sort it out.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I would like to see an auto-cleanup with the viruses - it's very good at telling me that there's a virus on the machine through the console, but not whether it's actually been dealt with. Is this a common thing, or is something missing from our settings to auto-quarantine a virus? I tend to have to physically go to the machine to sort it out.
    The policies you set in the console allow you to control this

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

For those who have a slow console, you basically need to clear out the MSDE database, there is a full article on the Sophos KB on how to do this, cannot put my hands on the link at the second, but will post when I find it, but basically you clear it out, it shifts all the errros and then makes the machines update again, but it works and then mine runs super fast for another month, and then about 30 days later, and 40,000 errors in the DB its dead again.

Edit - here is the linky - http://www.sophos.com/support/knowle...icle/2993.html

Also Woo! My 400th post!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E1uSiV3
    Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    The policies you set in the console allow you to control this
    Agreed. Sophos does not delete viruses by defualt because it is a CORPORATE AV solution. Simply deleting virus infected files may have the effect of making valuble files disappear before some kind of recovery can be done. I set mine to disinfect and delete if this is not possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmm
    I have mixed feelings about sophos, when we used version 3 I was a big fan. Some of you hated SAVAdmin but I quite liked it, I found it to be fast and *faily* light to run. The only thing was it was a pain to deploy changes to settings or truely keep an eye on the system.
    Sadly I am someone who has had a HELLISH time with version 5, our sophos 5 machines break usually after the monthly engine update. Its random which ones do, its random what the console sees and they dont update. The usual fix is remove 5 and redeploy but that is really unworkable on a large network (450-500 clients).
    Right now 5.20 *seems* to have gone well with only one machine stuck on damn N/A mode in the console.
    Just a little of my $0.02

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12