+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, What union to join?? in General; UNISON here. Joined due to getting suspended. :P On strike on the 28th....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: What union to join??

UNISON here. Joined due to getting suspended. :P

On strike on the 28th.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm in Unison. I got asked if I wanted to strike but I said no. What they're striking over doesn't affect me as I'm not in the local government pension scheme so it wouldn't be right for me to do so. Plus I don't want to lose a days pay

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm a Unison Steward. Don't want to strike but have to.

You can't say you won't because it doesn't affect you - that's the whole point of the game - you show them as a group - not as an individual. [thinks of Life of Brian ]

The point is, as I see it, that it's not that pension conditions should be eroded, but that it's unfair that support staff should be treated differently to teachers - who's pensions are protected. [same as doctors etc.]

Of course the fact that we accept worse pension deal means leveridge on them.

My head asked me for numbers striking so that she could decide wether or not to close the school! There's only 15 of us but damn important as you can see!! :P

Our LSAs are Unison BTW, and the caretakers and the Canteen staff. A few LSAs rebelled and joined the GMB a while back. I don't mind - more groups to present to the SMT.

Thank Post

That reminds me, need to look into Unison.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    The point is, as I see it, that it's not that pension conditions should be eroded, but that it's unfair that support staff should be treated differently to teachers - who's pensions are protected. [same as doctors etc.]
    Especially as we are more popular. It says so in the SUN

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark

Of course the fact that we accept worse pension deal means leveridge on them.
    And police, fire etc etc. Only ones being changed are ours. Then there is the whole issue of how can they change a deal all ready made. Ok, maybe acceptable to offer it to new comers, but to those all ready signed up....... AND when it is all done and dusted most will be paying more into a scheme they will get less out of, pricing many out of the pension scheme meaning less paying in!!! Ohhh now I'm gonna froth all night!!

Thank Post

Not in a union but I would say that this pensions issue is just the thin edge of a 'nasty'wedge. Many schools have on site ICT support staff, but I get the distinct impression that LEAs want to outsource this to firms like Syntegra or Capita, thus removing ICT Support Staff altogether! Zero salaries=zero pension contributions=happy LEA=happy rate payers!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Many schools have on site ICT support staff, but I get the distinct impression that LEAs want to outsource this to firms like Syntegra or Capita, thus removing ICT Support Staff altogether!
    Not so sure about that, the school education reform bill was designed to give schools more power and LEA's less.
    More likely schools will get a public/private partnership and Microsoft will pwn you.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4794646.stm

Thank Post

I am in UNISON also as is the majortity of support staff although they is a couple in GMB and one in ATL.

If strike action is required (which in the past has been called off at the last minute) then I will strike. The ICT Technician here is not in a union so somebody will still be in to look after the network. I think if the majortity of support staff were to strike the Head will call the school off and just ask teaching staff to attend.

We are very very very close to an OFSTED inspection also - so will be interesting if we get the call this week!!!

Thank Post

Well thankyou for all the replies, after people mentioning possible issues with children it has made up my mind, and I think i will go with Unison as that seems to the more popular with ICT staff.

Once again thankyou

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I am not in a union, but think it will be worth while, how do i go about joining Unison? I work for an independant school, does this exclude me in any way? or does that make me special??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I am not in a union, but think it will be worth while, how do i go about joining Unison? I work for an independant school, does this exclude me in any way? or does that make me special??
    might do as unison is oublic sector worker

so details here http://www.unison.org.uk/join/index.asp there is tel number on it you can ring to confirm..

if not then join gmb....

russell

Thank Post

Think this is something I should look into as well - and will prob go with UNISON

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I'd ask if you have a Unison or other union rep in school and join through them if you have. Pretty much what I did.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Many schools have on site ICT support staff, but I get the distinct impression that LEAs want to outsource this to firms like Syntegra or Capita, thus removing ICT Support Staff altogether!
    Not so sure about that, the school education reform bill was designed to give schools more power and LEA's less.
    More likely schools will get a public/private partnership and Microsoft will pwn you.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4794646.stm
    You ought to read the thread on BSF if you think that!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12