+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, USB Turntable in General; Anyone got one of these? Considering getting one and would like to hear of any users experience re ease of ...
    Thank Post

USB Turntable

Anyone got one of these?

Considering getting one and would like to hear of any users experience re ease of use etc.

Info on make/model would be helpful

Thank Post
    Not quite a USB turntable but a mate of mine has one of these DJ Store | DJ Equipment | Numark Total Control USB Controller :: 158.00 Which he rates - a pity his mixing ain't up to much!

Thank Post
    Bought my dad one last Christmas. Just a basic model out of Costco but it seems alright.

PC Pro did a pair of articles since covering getting the music from the Vinyl to your computer and encoding it with Audacity. Worth a look.

My knowledge of AV kit is pretty limited but I understand you don't even need a USB turntable - any decent soundcard should be able to use line in from a normal turntable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja-lewis View Post
    any decent soundcard should be able to use line in from a normal turntable.
    Only if it has line outs. The vast majority dont so you will need a pre amp. But still worth the effort using a real TT imo. The only USB TTs ive seen are from really cheap brands such as ION, which are the Lada of the music world.

Thank Post
    I just used the cassette tape deck I had on my set up - recorded the strange vinyl to decent tapes, then plugged the tape deck into the sound card and recorded using Audacity - not too much hassle as you only do it all once.

Thank Post
    @Spuff

I'd really have to try hard to think of a worse way to do this! On top of a crackly old record, no RIAA bias correction, and you add the hiss from a cassette tape? Wow, hifi it ain't!

Proper options:-

1) Connect turntable to HiFi amp with a phono input, and connect the PC to the "Tape Out" terminals.

2) Buy a phono pre-amp. CPC or Maplins for not much cash.

3) Buy the USB thing, although calling them the "Lada of turntables" could wind up with a law suit, from Lada.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 1st July 2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: splng

Thank Post
    ^ lmao

Thank Post
    i seem to remember doing this a few years ago i got an old technics turntable (a proper one not one of these new fangled ones you can "scratch" with) and a 3.5mm jack to red and white phono's cable and just plugged the phono's into the turntable and the jack into the "mic in" on my soundcard, record with audacity and serve...voila!

pretty sure that worked alright

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    @Spuff

I'd really have to try hard to think of a worse way to do this! On top of a crackly old record, no RIAA bias correction, and you add the hiss from a cassette tape? Wow, hifi it ain't!
    CAn't define the truth of that - but then I'm only converting to mp3 to listen in the car.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the usb turntables tend to be quite gimmicky and low quality.

A decent deck and a half decent sound card/preamp would be much better

Thank Post
    To be honest, I'm not that much impressed by any of the PC DJ setups due to synch issues and whatnot. I would recommend a pair of Pioneer CDJ's with a couple of burned CD's.

It's really easy to hook up a real mixer (and you can get them pretty cheap) into a PC line-in, and the CDJ's into the mixer.

Most clubs are also kitted with the same CDJ's (Pioneer CDJ 800 are the most common), although some clubs kit cheaper (and worse quality -- CD's skip e.t.c.) stuff.

As for Vinyl Turntables (Which I don't think they want, sounds like they want to play/mix mp3s?) Nothing beats Technics SL's. NOTHING. If they're out of your budget, get anything that is *DIRECT DRIVE* because belt drives are horrendus for mixing with, and generally sloppy at keeping their pitch (you will know this if you try mixing with them).

Don't forget the other essentials for Vinyl turntables: The Stylus and Slipmatts!

I've messed around with a few other decks and they all have their different quirks. If you plan to do *scratching* you're pretty much gonna need something that has the Torque of an SL or better, plus a very sleek mixer to boot (generally with a replaceable crossfader and adjustable crossfade curve). In terms of CDJ Scratching, the Pioneer CDJ's have incredible vinyl emulation that I've just NOT seen in ANY PC package (it doesn't sound quite right when you speed it up / slow it down during scratching, IF it can keep up at all).

As for those people suggesting to plug in a turntable STRAIGHT into a PC: Don't do it!

All Vinyl is actually recorded with the bass EQ'd low this is because with bass heavy tracks if the bass was recorded straight into a record the grooves would become so large that the needle would jump from groove to groove messing up the song.

Therefore a Turntable will always output the bass several dB lower than normal. When you route it through a mixer or a hi-fi's Phono, they make up for this bass loss by bringing up the bass by the same amount of dB. If you record a vinyl turntable straight into a PC it will sound VERY bass-lacking. Put it through a mixer first.

Overall though, if all you want to do is mix CD Audio or Mp3's, a couple of Pioneer CDJ's WILL be the most reliable piece of kit money can buy today.

In my spare time I produce dance music and I mix myself, my setup consists of 2x Technics SL Mk2's, 2x Pioneer CDJ 800's and a Vestax mixer: Pretty much an industry standard DJ Setup.

But then, you haven't really specified your purpose for the turntables, but at least you now know what the best of the best is
    Last edited by Friez; 2nd July 2008 at 09:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Well id say any scratch DJ would disagree with you there, 1210s are only industry standard in the UK and only because they have proven themselves, not because they are still the best.
    If you look at the US you will find alot of Vestax and Stanton 150s. I have the 150s and you really have to use them to believe how good they are

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seconded, the 150s are awesome. and as for nothing beating technics, I'd say look at the numark ttx1's - they're awesome. and from numark? unbelievable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Seconded, the 150s are awesome. and as for nothing beating technics, I'd say look at the numark ttx1's - they're awesome. and from numark? unbelievable
    I've used Numark TTX1's and they randomly sped up / slowed down the records when I used them (like as if I had moved the pitch slider waaaay up and back down again). This happened to me in the middle of a mix and threw me into a major clang, never used them again.

I did say that anything with the torque of Technics or better can be used for scratch DJing, I didn't say they're the be all and end all. But as far as reliability goes I have yet to find a pair of turntables that are more solid than Technics. That said, I've not tried Vestax 150's so will reserve judgement on them!
    Last edited by Friez; 2nd July 2008 at 11:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Father-In-Law has an ION USB Turntable and uses Magix Audio Cleaning Lab to get rid of the hiss and clicks. Works a treat.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information