+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unison Strike in General; ..... and let us hope that those who fail to strike never have to rely on the other members support!!! ...

Thank Post
    ..... and let us hope that those who fail to strike never have to rely on the other members support!!! They do not deserve it and should have the moral backbone to resign. As for "not able to afford it", the union does have a hardship fund if this is really true, but I suspect in many cases (not all) this is just another excuse to let others do all the work but happy to take the benefits.

The numbers voting is immaterial. Everyone had the chance to vote and were encouraged to do so!!! Most people didn't vote Labour in the last General Election. Does that mean I can ignore all laws passed by them, refuse to pay taxes etc??? No, it's called democracy!!!

Rant over (for the time being!!)

2. 4 Thanks to SteveT:

broc (30th June 2008), KarlGoddard (30th June 2008), marco84 (30th June 2008), webman (30th June 2008)

Thank Post
    and let us hope that those who fail to strike never have to rely on the other members support!!!
    Such a poor attitude being in a union isn't all about making sure you get a payrise every year.

but happy to take the benefits
    You are aware that technically an offer can be withdrawn so i might not get the 2.4% that i'm happy to take, not to mention if any rise isn't backpaid.

Why should i resign?
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 30th June 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    @SteveT - sorry mate - but my family is more important - they come first - period.

Thank Post
    I wasn't given the option to vote. I'll also be losing over 120 which I can't afford to do.

Even if we get the full 4.5% increase, what's that? a tenner a month at most. It would take a year to become cost effective, at the most optimistic estimates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Such a poor attitude being in a union isn't all about making sure you get a payrise every year.
    Of course it isn't, but it is galling to know that all those pontificating against striking would benefit from successful action. I bet there aren't any non-strikers willing to hand back any extra money because it was a result of action they didn't vote for or believe in.

Thank Post
    @ fafster: yep you would need more like 6% to make up the lost salary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    4. The economy is shot to hell, demanding a larger pay rise now is inappropriate and not helpful to the overall easing of inflation.
    Not demanding one is not helpful to people on my/our wages. You are obviously happy with your pay packet, this action is to help people who are not happy.

Inflation is leaving everyone with less and less money each month, and if you already had no deposable income....
    A good way to ease inflation would be for someone to shoot crash Gordon and let this country get back on its feet
    Last edited by j17sparky; 30th June 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Id rather we had near to equal pay to Teaching Staff / IT Pro's outwith Education..

Thank Post
    @ sparkeh: You are aware that technically an offer can be withdrawn so i might not get the 2.4% that i'm happy to take, not to mention if any rise isn't backpaid. Industrial action works both ways.

@ j17sparky: i appreciate what you're saying i just don't think that we should all rush to strike just because of a short term jump in inflation. The massive drop in house prices will no doubt change all of that.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 30th June 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ sparkeh: You are aware that technically an offer can be withdrawn so i might not get the 2.4% that i'm happy to take, not to mention if any rise isn't backpaid. Industrial action works both ways.
    Yes I realise that, but that isn't realistically going to happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    @SteveT - sorry mate - but my family is more important - they come first - period.
    And that's exactly why you *SHOULDN'T* put up with a paycut.

A pay cut for one day or a pay cut for a lifetime? Which is worse?

This is the whole reason the strike exists, because people are being driven into such poverty they actually will be utterly SCREWED if anything unexpected happened.

Sure, you might be able to live on what you do right now, and you might be able to next year too. But if the trend keeps going the way it is, how long will it be before your pay gets cut so much you actually can't afford to stay in your current job any more?

The very fact that you're stating "I can't afford ONE/TWO days off work" is VERY concerning indeed, and would indicate that you really don't earn enough. So you're just going to put up with it?

I'm thinking long term really, it's unacceptable for us to be driven into poverty like this while everyone else is getting rise after rise. One day we won't even be able to afford to come in at all, let alone sacrifice a day of work.
    Last edited by Friez; 30th June 2008 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes I realise that, but that isn't realistically going to happen.
    Well the backpay issue might. Anyway my point was to highight why people can be annoyed when you look at the strike from their point of view.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 30th June 2008 at 01:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I support democracy (when it is done properly!), so long as a reasonable number of people actually vote. 26% of the membership replying to the ballot is pathetic, and simply does not represent enough of the membership to make a judgement based on.
    I think some local elections get a lower turnout than that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    And that's exactly why you *SHOULDN'T* put up with a paycut.

A pay cut for one day or a pay cut for a lifetime? Which is worse?

This is the whole reason the strike exists, because people are being driven into such poverty they actually will be utterly SCREWED if anything unexpected happened.

Sure, you might be able to live on what you do right now, and you might be able to next year too. But if the trend keeps going the way it is, how long will it be before your pay gets cut so much you actually can't afford to stay in your current job any more?

The very fact that you're stating "I can't afford ONE/TWO days off work" is VERY concerning indeed, and would indicate that you really don't earn enough. So you're just going to put up with it?

I'm thinking long term really, it's unacceptable for us to be driven into poverty like this while everyone else is getting rise after rise. One day we won't even be able to afford to come in at all, let alone sacrifice a day of work.
    I couldn't have put it better myself!

Thank Post
    I am a single parent father and have struggled the same as many others who work in the support sector. I have voted to go on strike as my parents fought for the rights during the strikes of the miners from the 70's onwards and many other individuals who went without for months suffering. The reason we are in such a dilemma now is because people are too scared to stand up for their rights. I am in the process of having my position re-evaluated under the single person status and like many others in areas, have the strong possibility of losing pay. I am due to have a meeting with my local mp Andy Burnham as my local authority refuse to answer any questions. I cannot afford to strike, but likewise as the current economy continues as it is, I won't be able to afford to stay anyway.
    Sorry for my rant

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast