+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, What to PAT test in General; Originally Posted by Jobos So items that arenít mains voltage would include the ZIP drive, small switches, access points and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    So items that arenít mains voltage would include the ZIP drive, small switches, access points and laptops (the power adaptor and leads should be tested)
    Thinking back they failed a laptop because the battery clip was broken and the battery was being held in place by gaffer tape. I confess that it was me who made the Ďrepairí as I didnít think that it be subject to any tests

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    You are required to check both the lead and the device if the two can be seperated.
    Required by whom? It's not a legal requirement - see Legal requirements for Portable Appliance Testing and PAT Testing

3. Thanks to timzim from:

dbrown (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Edit: When I was trained, I was required to. Sorry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Required by whom? It's not a legal requirement - see Legal requirements for Portable Appliance Testing and PAT Testing
    Although its not a law to pat test as far i understand it is a legal requirment to protect employees form being zapped! Part of that legistation is testing it and Every insurnace company that i have ever dealt with has made it a requiment to get everyting PAT tested for this reason.

Thank Post
    I think they are taking the P. They should charge per whole device tested ie 1 laptop, 1 PC. Not 4 times for every laptop.

That reminds of the day the PAT tester started unplugging all our servers to test them. That was a fun day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Nothing at all *needs* to be tested unless you have a policy which says that you will do it - it's just if you have tested it and someone dies then at least you can show you were trying to keep things safe.

Anything which is categorised as Class II or double insulated (it will have the double square logo on it) doesn't need testing at all
    I humbly suggest that you need to get hold of a copy of the IEE CoP on PAT. You are simply wrong.

There is a requirement in law to ensure a safe system of work, and a requirement in law to maintain electrical systems. How do you "ensure" or "maintain" something if you don't know what condition it is in?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I think they are taking the P. They should charge per whole device tested ie 1 laptop, 1 PC. Not 4 times for every laptop.
    I've generally tested a PC and mains lead as 1 device, but only when I've been in control of what goes in and out and what ends up where. On sites where anyone could move anything anywhere whenever they wanted then I'd test everything individually so it can be 'mixed and matched'.

In the case of the testers that are the subject of this thread, they are either incompetent, cowboys or rip off merchants, or all 3. You can't fail a laptop as it isn't mains powered. If they are doing them FOC then great, leave them to it.

I PAT tested several sites once after another company had done it and the owner wondered why I was more expensive. Out of 200 odd items in the several sites the old company had tested about 20. They just did kettles and vacuum cleaners as 'computers don't need testing', and they failed a few items that had nothing wrong with them.

Thank Post
    so should a USB powered gadget be pat tested when the computer already has been? or are my employers just taking the p***.
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Thank Post
    No, but it does still need to be "proven to be safe". That may be as simple as a quick look.

A separate power supply for a USB hub or whatever should be tested/inspected as required by your RA.

11. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

shelby (11th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shelby View Post
    so should a USB powered gadget be pat tested when the computer already has been? or are my employers just taking the p***.
    Not if it doesn't have its own mains power supply, no. (If you can plug it in to the mains, it should have a test is a good rule.)
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:36 PM.

13. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

shelby (11th December 2008)

Thank Post
    The Tech (Physics) in our school that does the PAT testing, does some as "visual inspections", if it looks okay, it is okay.

He has a list of stuff that doesn't need to be done until they've been in 3 years, IE PCs and monitors, which lets him not have to do all the computers. He doesn't do the laptops (it's that visual thing again), but he will do the Mickey/Kettle lead attached (but not the power adapter, unless it's been "fixed"). There is a lot of the 4way extensions that have been done, but when I last bought a few (they always go missing), he said they didn't need to be checked yet (not sure when he'll do them).

The amount of stuff he does throughout the rest of the school: sciences, technology, TVs, etc, though. We make students get stuff tested if they bring in electrical stuff, before we let them plug in.

...The git did fail a whole roomful of computers as I'd removed the back fingerplate to put in a security cable...'course this was 3 years after I'd done it...

Thank Post
    What happens with BSF - if you have people internally who currently do the PAT testing will they be allowed to continue to test as part of the MSU or is that more expense

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    The Tech (Physics) in our school that does the PAT testing, does some as "visual inspections", if it looks okay, it is okay.
    A visual should be part of the normal PAT in any case.

He has a list of stuff that doesn't need to be done until they've been in 3 years, IE PCs and monitors, which lets him not have to do all the computers. He doesn't do the laptops (it's that visual thing again), but he will do the Mickey/Kettle lead attached (but not the power adapter, unless it's been "fixed"). There is a lot of the 4way extensions that have been done, but when I last bought a few (they always go missing), he said they didn't need to be checked yet (not sure when he'll do them).
    Ok, I don't know what the legalities are, but my training was:
    - fixed-ish items can get a 2 or 3 year test, but most stuff gets a year (the whole point of a PAT is to find potentially dangerous wear and tear ('portable'))
    - a visual is a part of a full PAT, not an excuse for lack of one

The power adapter on a laptop is a mains appliance, so it should have a full test just like any other. If the lead from it can be detached, that gets a separate IEC test.

I'm not sure how much this guy scares me, but I think it's a lot.

...The git did fail a whole roomful of computers as I'd removed the back fingerplate to put in a security cable...'course this was 3 years after I'd done it...
    And quite right too, if the plate is anywhere near the mains inlet. It counts as a modification. Nice to know he's done something properly.

(You can start up your flamethrowers now.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    - a visual is a part of a full PAT, not an excuse for lack of one
    Yes but... There is provision in the IEE CoP for a formal inspection in those parts of your cycle when you don't do a full test. Thus you could PAT every 4 years, and do a formal inspection in the other 3.
    if the plate is anywhere near the mains inlet.
    The PSU in a PC is completely enclosed, even within the outer box. That is the sort of FAIL I'd expect from someone who had learned from a book, and had little real world experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Yes but... There is provision in the IEE CoP for a formal inspection in those parts of your cycle when you don't do a full test. Thus you could PAT every 4 years, and do a formal inspection in the other 3.
    That's fine if a proper PAT is being done, but it really doesn't sound like he is doing.

The PSU in a PC is completely enclosed, even within the outer box. That is the sort of FAIL I'd expect from someone who had learned from a book, and had little real world experience.
    I'm familiar with a PSU, thanks. If you remove it's access plate, you invalide its PAT.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12