+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Network manager job and RM advice in General; Been looking for other jobs and found one advertised near me at an educational institute (via an agency so won't ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Network manager job and RM advice

Been looking for other jobs and found one advertised near me at an educational institute (via an agency so won't divulge who til I apply).
    The description said part of the job was to liaise with the ICT partner RM.
    I emailed the agency just asking if it was vanilla or CC3 and how RM tied in with the school/college/whatever.
    Been told its a Windows network, may move to CC3 but not definite. The RM partnership is in it's infancy and part of the role is to maximise the best use of RM resources to the schools benefit. It's a private partnership, not BSF.

What do people think?
    Personally I'm interested in the job but if it means moving away from a vanilla network to CC3 and having RM slowly taking over in terms of equipment and stuff I'm not that keen.
    Just wondering whether to apply, and I'm not trying to knock RM in any way I'm just saying I prefer a vanilla network and the freedom to purchase from the supplier of my choice.
    Does anybody else work in this situation, with a private partnership with RM. If so, how well does it work, what sort of say do you get in IT choices made?

Thanks for any info anyone can give

Thank Post
    In my previous job, we had one network of vanilla kit that belonged to us, and another totally seperate CC3 network provided through PFI and the LA that was fully managed. Part of my job was to liase with RM regarding issues with the CC3 PFI network; perhaps it's something similar?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Been looking for other jobs and found one advertised near me at an educational institute (via an agency so won't divulge who til I apply).
    The description said part of the job was to liaise with the ICT partner RM.
    I emailed the agency just asking if it was vanilla or CC3 and how RM tied in with the school/college/whatever.
    Been told its a Windows network, may move to CC3 but not definite. The RM partnership is in it's infancy and part of the role is to maximise the best use of RM resources to the schools benefit. It's a private partnership, not BSF.

What do people think?
    Personally I'm interested in the job but if it means moving away from a vanilla network to CC3 and having RM slowly taking over in terms of equipment and stuff I'm not that keen.
    Just wondering whether to apply, and I'm not trying to knock RM in any way I'm just saying I prefer a vanilla network and the freedom to purchase from the supplier of my choice.
    Does anybody else work in this situation, with a private partnership with RM. If so, how well does it work, what sort of say do you get in IT choices made?

Thanks for any info anyone can give
    #

Sounds like RM Partnership or Pioneer scheme which if so means you can choose who ever you like as your supplier only requirement is that you ask them to tender for ict projects (no obligation to choose them) and that you allow account manager to meet with SLT and yourself few times a year.

If want give me a pm and will discuss the scheme more with you..

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    We wont go into CC3 v Vanilla as thats been debated before - but as the Network Manager it's your job to decide where to order from in order to provide best value for the school. This may be RM, this may be PC World. Either way, it's your decision.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was just reading through the job spec I was sent and a lot of it mentions the SLA with RM, keeping in with it regards repairs, and ordering and problems. Emailed to ask to see the SLA and was told as the RM link is new, there isn't an official SLA yet.
    Not sure if it means the network manager would get a say in what should be in there (not sure what level of input RM would accept).
    Just weighing up whether to apply or not really

Thank Post
    You may as well apply, it's a healthy process to go through from time to time and you can ask all this sort of stuff when you interview (remember, two-way process).

Thank Post
    Personally during interview, ascertain if they're keen on going with RM or not - and then kiss arse as appropiate.

When you get the job, *THEN* you can look at completely snubbing RM

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread