+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New Computer Chair Needed in General; ...
    Thank Post

New Computer Chair Needed

So, I'm off work again because of a recurrence of my back injury that I sustained trying to pick up a printer when I was not too well. Dunno what caused it to flare up again, but basically, I woke up on Sunday morning and was just washing and getting ready and had a sudden attack of pain in my lower back, for no apparent reason, which rendered me totally immobile. I was bedridden all day and could not move at all, not even sit up on the sofa or chair. I called the emergency doctor who advised me to take some regular ibuprofen and she said the pain might have been caused due to a muscle spasm. I'm still in severe pain today and still unable to sit up on a chair or sofa (using the laptop in bed to write this message!) but can now walk short distances, albeit painfully, but can now at least get to the loo!

Anyway, to help alleviate the problems I am suffering I figured I'd get myself a new computer chair for home seeing as my £1 freebie from Viking Direct is getting on a bit and starting to hurt when I sit on it. (Before the injury!) Loads of people have pointed me to ergonomic chairs that costs nearly £1000s. However, this is well over my budget, I'm talking < £50 which is all I can afford for the moment. Regardless, I'm looking for something good quality and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,694 Posts
    I had back problems about 4 years ago which ended up in 2 operations and 6 months off work for a prolapsed disk.

At home, we bought one of these from Staples: Staples.co.uk Your business partner for Office Supplies, furniture and technology.

I persuaded the school to get me one too as my chair was rubbish and this one worked for me. (It's handy sharing an office with the H&S Manager, she told me the school had make sure my working environment was suitable or somesuch!)

I'm afraid that when my back was at its worst, I couldn't sit at the computer (In fact I wasn't allowed to sit for 2 weeks after the operation, I had to stand, kneel or lie down)

The only way I could use a computer was to kneel. A garden kneeling pad on the floor protected my knees. My back is much beter now, but I still kneel at computers in school rather than use a rubbish (or infant-sized!) chair.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    (It's handy sharing an office with the H&S Manager, she told me the school had make sure my working environment was suitable or somesuch!)
    health and safety at work act has all sorts of stuff but there are two sides to it - the employer has a duty to make sure that stuff like furniture is appropriate but the employee has a duty to make sure they use things properly - for example, many people have all sorts of "stuff" cluttering up the space under their desk so that they can't sit properly.

It's also true for pupils/students - they should be told about how to adjust chairs, monitors etc for safe working.

Thank Post
    or when you fully recover..hit the gym and strengthen up those back muscles

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    I'm sorry to hear about your back problem - have you had an MRI scan to find out exactly what is wrong?
    I also have had severe back problems over the years, and I bought a decent ergonomic chair for home from staples. I think you should reconsider your price limit - I know decent chairs are expensive but this is your health we are talking about. My partner persuaded me that it was false economy to buy a cheap chair as it wouldnt last and could aggravate the problem.

Thank Post
    In our office we all have some quite nice chairs from Staples. They were on offer when we got them, think they were at £20 (I got one for home aswell :P) but i think they're about £50 now. I think they're called "Entry Managers Chair" something like that- But they have lower-back support
    I just had a quick look on the Staples website and I cant see the ones we have... Maybe they've stopped making them!
    Last edited by richard.thomas; 25th June 2008 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inbir316 View Post
    Yeah, I have had physiotherapy to help the issue and my back hadn't hurt in almost a year, sudden attack of pain from nowhere! I was doing a lot of swimming lately but had to stop because I have been suffering a severe cough due to an allergic reaction which the doctor is still investigating. The emergency doctor said it may have been the cough that triggered the muscle spasm. Either way, I have had it bad the last month or so. I have a doctor's appointment today that was initially a follow up to the cough, however, I'll obviously be looking for help with my new issue!

I think you should reconsider your price limit - I know decent chairs are expensive but this is your health we are talking about. My partner persuaded me that it was false economy to buy a cheap chair as it wouldnt last and could aggravate the problem
    What price range do you think I should be looking at?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inbir316 View Post

I thinkyou need to hit the gym Inbir..........fatty

Thank Post
    Well, the Doctor wrote me off for 2 weeks and I'm just sat at home resting. He told me to keep off the Ibuprofen and take Paracetamol (or Paracetamol with Codine) instead. The pain in my lower back has subsided a little however, I'm now getting pain in my upper back!

Anyway... I still need a new chair seeing as my wife is finding the old one a pain as well. So, any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Well, the Doctor wrote me off for 2 weeks and I'm just sat at home resting. He told me to keep off the Ibuprofen and take Paracetamol (or Paracetamol with Codine) instead. The pain in my lower back has subsided a little however, I'm now getting pain in my upper back!

Anyway... I still need a new chair seeing as my wife is finding the old one a pain as well. So, any suggestions?
    My suggestion's in post 2 - I have the same chair at home and work. If your back is very bad... kneel!

Thank Post
    My advice would be to go to a store when you are feeling upto it and test out the range that they have.

That way you can choose the one that you feel most comfortable in.

It is nigh-on impossible to choose a seat over the web or have one recommended as each persons choice would be different.

It's not much help i know but that would be my advice. And i wouldn't worry too much about the price (but within reason though i think) as as someone said it's your health and you should purchase the one you feel most comfortable in not the one that fits the budget. If the one you like best stretches then wait a little longer if possible and try not to use the one that you don't like.

I used to work in Staples and so had to sell these things and nearly everyone who came in chose chairs that you wouldn't think they would like (based on appearances).

Hope you feel better soon though. All the best.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread