+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Broadband over electrical network (BOEN) in General; Originally Posted by j17sparky New builds should have proper routes for network cables planned fropm the beginning. <fx>Steve runs screaming ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    New builds should have proper routes for network cables planned fropm the beginning.
    <fx>Steve runs screaming from the building</fx>

You might think that would be the case but I work in a college with buildings little more than 10 years old which have no such facility! Even the building going up outside my window at the moment is not going to have what we'd hoped for (it's got big service risers - we saw this much of the plans - what we didn't know was that the riser has no floors; this means we can't put cabinets on each floor but will have to run everything back to the ground floor ...)

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    And that's if the technology is equal to cat x and fibre. For all we know in 10 years time the standard might be fibre to the clients. BOEN could hit a technological barrier which means it can only go up to 1gb for arguements sake... Anyway, point is its a technology which should be used to help us with old schools, not relied upon for new builds.
    I'd agree that it shouldn't be the basis for a new build; I still think it's likely to have value for all the odd things which (even with good planning!) get forgotten. The fact that you can just plug in 2 boxes and moments later you have a network where you didn't have one before is almost magical :-)

At the moment, it doesn't look as if you can get more than about 100Mbit on this technology but the twisted pair copper which now delivers "up to" 24Mbit ADSL was struggling to deliver 1200bit just 20 years ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    It does not work through gang plugs either.
    I bought a pair for my home use - house is over 100 years old, wiring not quite that old. Plugged in - it just worked, much to my amazement. Both ends are plugged into gangs, one upstairs and one downstairs, not on the same ring but must be on the same phase I guess.

Whatever I am very happy with it, means I can connect to my main PC or server from the comfort of my arm chair and laptop which was more than I could do when I tried a wifi set up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I bought a pair for my home use - house is over 100 years old, wiring not quite that old. Plugged in - it just worked, much to my amazement. Both ends are plugged into gangs, one upstairs and one downstairs, not on the same ring but must be on the same phase I guess.

Whatever I am very happy with it, means I can connect to my main PC or server from the comfort of my arm chair and laptop which was more than I could do when I tried a wifi set up.
    Were they surge protected gangs by any chance ninja? Surge protectors seriously reduce throughput, and if you had one each end then I wouldn't be surprised if it died totally.

Thank Post

Single segement networks?

I'm fairly sure that these devices operate as single shared network segment, so will be OK for low bandwidth situations, but rather a lot like a step back to the dark ages of hubs and ethernet 10base-x where all devices connected to a single backbone (I guess I've been doing this too long as I rememeber putting in 10 base-5 and 10 base-2 (thick and thin ethernet) networks ;0) )

You're NEVER going to get anything like the same throughput as a well configured switched enviroment. I've a couple of 54Mb home network devices at home, and even then am surprised how often the collision light is lit...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12