+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How to calculate Pro rata in General; I've got a job interview next monday at another school. The wage they're advertising is 17000 to 22000 pro rata, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question How to calculate Pro rata

I've got a job interview next monday at another school.

The wage they're advertising is 17000 to 22000 pro rata, term time only.

How do i work out how much i'll be getting? Obviously dont wanna be earning less then im on now, though the job sounds good.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Find out how many days a year you'll actually be working, then do the following sum.

(Per Anum Wage / 261) x Number of days working.

(261 because you don't factor in weekends normally)

That'll give you the Gross wage for the position. (i.e before tax and NI payments etc)

To work out your monthly wage, devide this figure by 12 as you still normally get paid in 12 equal monthly payments, even though there'll be some months where you'll have 2 weeks off, and some like August you probably won't work at all!

Mike.

Actually thinking about this, I'm not 100% sure I'm right now, but that's how I've always worked out Pro-Rata saleries!
    Last edited by maniac; 23rd June 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Thank Post
    The way the bursar showed me is:

(No. of hours per week/37 (i.e full time hours) x (No. of weeks worked/52) x full time salary= pro rata salary (divide by 12 for monthly gross income)

Bear in mind when you work out your number of weeks it's not just the weeks you work as you get paid holiday weeks, so typically term time only would be 39 weeks + 1 week inset days + 4 weeks paid hol + 2 weeks bank hols=46 weeks paid time.

Eg.

(32/37)x(46/52)*22000=16831 PA

Bang the result into http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk for after tax figures.
    Last edited by jcollings; 23rd June 2008 at 07:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    The way the bursar showed me is:
    (No. of hours per week/37 (i.e full time hours) x (No. of weeks worked/52) x full time salary= pro rata salary (divide by 12 for monthly gross income)
    Bear in mind when you work out your number of weeks it's not just the weeks you work as you get paid holiday weeks, so typically term time only would be 39 weeks + 1 week inset days + 4 weeks paid hol + 2 weeks bank hols=46 weeks paid time.
    Eg.
    (32/37)x(46/52)*22000=16831 PA
    Bang the result into The Salary Calculator for after tax figures.
    That's how I understand it, but I shouldn't count on the '1 week of inset days' nor the holiday weeks either. Generally speaking 46 will be correct but it may not be that many.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    That's how I understand it, but I shouldn't count on the '1 week of inset days' nor the holiday weeks either. Generally speaking 46 will be correct but it may not be that many.
    It may differ for some. Paid holidays are a legal requirement though so you must get some. They may be pro-rated in line with how many weeks you work I guess.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information