+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
General Chat Thread, UNISON vote for strike in General; On a serious note, i don't want to see that scan...
    Thank Post
    On a serious note, i don't want to see that scan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I know what could help this country if we weren't too soft, and I know there's a lot of you guys on here and I don't mean any offense to you (as you are all the hard working guys).

Cut the Scottish off. Out of 5 million residents in Scotland, 680,000 are working! that means more than 4 million are out of work. So how, being part of the UK have they managed to get free dental care, free uni fee's etc and we are left to foot the bill?

It costs the UK 64% more to keep the Scottish than what they can contribute? So why are we so soft.

Put the wall back up is what I say, let them fend for themselves!

Regarding worker:non worker ratios... Try living round my way (Oldham & Rochdale) with a large Asian community... cos thre are far MORE of them sitting on their arses srewing us for everything comared to those that work!

Oldham actually ha a section on their council tax bills for "Unpaid Council Tax" which honest working people have to cough up for!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Regarding worker:.....
    Bit of a troll there. Blaming any country/race/sex/ethnic groupings seem fairly simplistic to me....

Back on topic I think

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    I think that's getting off topic again.

Thank Post
    I take it that those who "disagree" with industrial action will refuse to accept any pay rise resulting from such action and return the money to the government? This, of course, would particularly apply to those who are members of the relevant unions and appear happy to accept the benefits their fellow members gain for them but then scab as soon as they are called to fulfil their part!!!

If you feel so strongly that the students will suffer significant damage to their education by missing a couple of days from school I suggest you speak to their parents who take them away on holiday during the school term or Heads who allow their schools to be used as Polling Centres during elections!!!! Perhaps you could volunteer to lose some of your holidays to make up for such a significant loss!!!

Note: Senior Officers in Local Authorities haven't shown any regard for restraint!! Last figures I had show wage increases of between 5.7% and 7%.

7% of 50,000+ is much more significant that 50p per hour extra which is what many LA workers would gain even if the Unions win outright!!!!

Remember:

1. The claim is for 6% or 50p per hour whichever is the higher.
    2. Public sector wages have been depressed for several years to "avoid fuelling inflation".
    3. Private sector wage rises are averaging at 4%!!!
    4. Inflation is running at 4%. Basic foods, heating etc are rising at an even higher rate.
    5. The government want to restrict us to 2% for the next 3 years!!!

Local and national politicians haven't shown any regard for restraint, indeed they still have their noses firmly stuck in the trough!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    but where does the increased money come from..?

Tax.
    In times of need most companies get over a recession by letting staff go. Lets assume the Government is a big company. They could instantly save 16 billion by letting go a large proportion of the malingerers who are on incapacity benefit!!! Sack um all I saY.

Some solutions are simple really.

Alex

Thank Post
    Apologies for going OT but i needed to get a point across...

As for the strike...

@SteveT - I dont disagree with it - i support it - my only concern is my family.. witha wedding fast approaching i dont think i can afford to strike...

Thank Post
    Suggesting that people should give any pay rise to the government is just silly. If i voted not to strike (i won't as i'm not in a union) and it went ahead anyway that's just out of my control. I think we need to get past this current inflation blip that is caused by external pressures before we push for inflation related pay rises.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th June 2008 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    I take it that those who "disagree" with industrial action will refuse to accept any pay rise resulting from such action and return the money to the government? This, of course, would particularly apply to those who are members of the relevant unions and appear happy to accept the benefits their fellow members gain for them but then scab as soon as they are called to fulfil their part!!!
    As I said, I think we should be getting paid a reasonable wage. I've also explained that we need to show restraint. Strikes leading to above inflation pay rises *will not help anyone*. They simply prolong the problems. And as for the benefits of being in a union then scabbing - I pay to be in a union. I pay for the legal protection, I pay for them to help us. But I don't like striking, it is overly damaging.

If you feel so strongly that the students will suffer significant damage to their education by missing a couple of days from school I suggest you speak to their parents who take them away on holiday during the school term or Heads who allow their schools to be used as Polling Centres during elections!!!! Perhaps you could volunteer to lose some of your holidays to make up for such a significant loss!!!
    Sorry but your argument is pathetic. You are talking about things that are completely irrelevant to us. I don't deal with those aspects of a child's life. That should be dealt with by the head. The law is already on the school's side here - no in term time off except for medical purposes or authorised absences. If it is unauthorised, the parents should be prosecuted.

Note: Senior Officers in Local Authorities haven't shown any regard for restraint!! Last figures I had show wage increases of between 5.7% and 7%.
    Evidence please. Anyone can quote random figures.

Remember:

2. Public sector wages have been depressed for several years to "avoid fuelling inflation".
    4. Inflation is running at 4%. Basic foods, heating etc are rising at an even higher rate.

Local and national politicians haven't shown any regard for restraint, indeed they still have their noses firmly stuck in the trough!!!!
    I think ministers turning down their pay rise this year indicates showing some restraint... But yes, others could do better too.

We have to stop thinking purely about ourselves and think how these pay rises affect the economy. At the moment, it won't help, as inflation will simply rise again.

Thank Post
    Well starting with how do you suggest people practically do this, ending with the fact that a pay rise is on the cards it's just UNISON are disputing how much it should be this is stupid suggestion! I also dislike the term scab. Surely it's every members right to make up his or her own minds whether they wish to participate in industrial action it's not like your paid by the hour miners, your job will still be there when you come in the day after the strike they aren't taking your job they just doing their own.

7% of 50,000+ is much more significant that 50p per hour extra which is what many LA workers would gain even if the Unions win outright!!!!
    Again I feel I must call for sources for your figures

I'm not convinced you can do a direct comparison of private vs. public as private wage increases are much less likely to fuel a large increase in inflation. Whilst I understand a union exists to look after the interests of it's members I think they need to take into account the current economic climate . Otherwise things will be worse for everyone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    As I said, I think we should be getting paid a reasonable wage. I've also explained that we need to show restraint. Strikes leading to above inflation pay rises *will not help anyone*. They simply prolong the problems. And as for the benefits of being in a union then scabbing - I pay to be in a union. I pay for the legal protection, I pay for them to help us. But I don't like striking, it is overly damaging.

No. All Unions are organisations which use the power of the collective to empower workers. The members of a Union pay to employ officers who have expertise in complex areas. The strength of a Union is entirely reliant on the membership acting together. When called to take collective action resulting from a democratic vote I would expect all members to comply. That's the thing about democracy ....... you cannot pick and choose whether to accept the majority wish!!! While striking should be a last resort, history clearly shows that it is sometimes necessary.

Sorry but your argument is pathetic. You are talking about things that are completely irrelevant to us. I don't deal with those aspects of a child's life. That should be dealt with by the head. The law is already on the school's side here - no in term time off except for medical purposes or authorised absences. If it is unauthorised, the parents should be prosecuted.

You have stated that striking is wrong because it damages a students education. I am stating that a missed few days in school is neither here nor there. I tried to do so semi-tongue in cheek by pointing out that they do miss days for other avoidable reasons that no-one seems to think significant.

Evidence please. Anyone can quote random figures.

See Chief executives' and chief officers' salaries and numbers survey 2006 - feedback circular

I think ministers turning down their pay rise this year indicates showing some restraint... But yes, others could do better too.

We have to stop thinking purely about ourselves and think how these pay rises affect the economy. At the moment, it won't help, as inflation will simply rise again.
    The relationship between local government wages and inflation is contentious at best. There are economists that would argue that only wages involved in the production of goods could possibly drive inflation indeed there are those who deny any connection between wages and inflation.

See

Safe Haven | Inflation and Wages -- Another Dangerous Economic Fallacy

or

Why wages are not an inflationary danger

One economic theory would contend that inflation is actually a tool used by governments and capital holders to increase their own wealth!!!

12. Thanks to SteveT from:

sparkeh (24th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Surely an increase in public sector wages that are paid for by an increase in taxation can be a cause of inflation.

Inflation is measured in lots of ways CPI is only one but it seems to be the one that unison base their arguments on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Well starting with how do you suggest people practically do this, ending with the fact that a pay rise is on the cards it's just UNISON are disputing how much it should be this is stupid suggestion! I also dislike the term scab. Surely it's every members right to make up his or her own minds whether they wish to participate in industrial action it's not like your paid by the hour miners, your job will still be there when you come in the day after the strike they aren't taking your job they just doing their own.

See my reply to localzuk re the meaning of democracy.

Again I feel I must call for sources for your figures

See my reply to localzuk

I'm not convinced you can do a direct comparison of private vs. public as private wage increases are much less likely to fuel a large increase in inflation.

See my reply to localzuk
    Next??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The relationship between local government wages and inflation is contentious at best. There are economists that would argue that only wages involved in the production of goods could possibly drive inflation indeed there are those who deny any connection between wages and inflation.

See

Safe Haven | Inflation and Wages -- Another Dangerous Economic Fallacy

or

Why wages are not an inflationary danger

One economic theory would contend that inflation is actually a tool used by governments and capital holders to increase their own wealth!!!
    Thanks for the sources, I was going to make this point myself but didn't have time to dig out the refs.

Thank Post
    Ok but their opinion goes against most current ecconomic thought.

The point still exists that the current inflation issue is probably temporary so rushing to make pay awards is still probably not a good idea.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th June 2008 at 02:38 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread