+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, UNISON vote for strike in General; Hightower...google "Wonko's World"...my friend there has a similar opinion.. I gave up getting angry..we'll be screwed every which way..all we ...
    Thank Post
    Hightower...google "Wonko's World"...my friend there has a similar opinion..

I gave up getting angry..we'll be screwed every which way..all we can do is try to ride it out. I've given up any hope of the housing ladder unless it really REALLY tanks...and I just keep reminding myself if it all goes FUBAR, we can move back in with my mother..not ideal, but not the end of the world.

I'm choosing to see it as a challenge..."find the cheapest way of fulfilling the objective". Also looking at purchases and thinking "Do I NEED you?", and "What should I get NOW, that'll be useful and not become defunct in short order".

Also distraction works...I've got back into my electronics hobby...parts cost pennies, and it's very absorbing.

Thank Post
    Where the hell did cutting the Scottish of come from, can we not let this turn into a nationalistic debate and stay on topic if you want to discuss that then start a new thread.

IMO the UK is much stronger united than in it's constituent parts.
    I fully agree but that's all i'll say on the issue in this thread.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th June 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    My figures might be off - I do apologise if they are as it was from memory. I'll have a look for the paper when I get in tonight.

That said though, my point still stands! Scotland can do what the hell they like with UK money which is very unfair! **** the oil, it's worth a lot less than they get from the UK and cut them off! The Scot's fought for freedom! I say give it to them!

In fact, don't cut them off! I'm not gonna move to Corfu, I'm going to Scotland
    Last edited by witch; 24th June 2008 at 08:09 PM.

Thank Post
    ok reeling it back from the nationalist rantings.....

what's the point of a pay rise if it just pushes up inflation as then we'll just be in the same position as before?

Thank Post
    Brussels annoys me - we're paying the EU for membership, and they're killing us slowly. Get shot of those idiots, I say.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'll stay on topic..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last point from me - we don't get "free dental care" either. My girlfriend went for a checkup a few weeks ago and didn't get much change from 70. I don't even HAVE a dentist 'cos they're so rare and so expensive.

Feel free to rant, but check your facts first eh love?

Back on topic now. UNISON have voted for a strike...

Thank Post
    what's the point of a pay rise if it just pushes up inflation as then we'll just be in the same position as before?
    Exactly why controlling inflation is more of an issue. The problem at the moment is external influences (which could be short lived) but we don't want to fan the flames with domestic issues as well. A round of public sector pay rises means increased taxes, a round of private sector increases means an increase in the prices of products and services.

-----------------------------

Don't get me started on dentists, ouch
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th June 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Thank Post
    So back on topic - Inflation would still rise without pay rises. At the end of us here we are pretty much all skilled workers, but we are all pretty much (with the exception of a few "I'm alright Jack") getting paid an unskilled bottom of the rung wage.

Thank Post
    @Hightower - i feel rather offended by your remarks about the scottish

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Brussels annoys me - we're paying the EU for membership, and they're killing us slowly. Get shot of those idiots, I say.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'll stay on topic..
    Nonsense. The EU has helped our country no-end. Without such free travel between countries, and free trade, we'd have a major shortage of people for jobs in the UK.

Overall, the EU does a lot more good than bad.

The main issue that is sitting behind all our problems are as follows:

1. Reliance on foreign oil and gas.
    2. Useless muppets in power. They micromanage far too much, but don't provide any decent long term plans - look at transport. There are loads of short term schemes but no overall country-wide transport plan.
    3. The availability of cheap credit. Borrowing is simply out of control.
    4. Linked to #2 is the lack of a plan on what the UK will be doing to bring money in in the long term. We've lost most manufacturing jobs to overseas now, and many banks are now HQ'd offshore, IT jobs are being offshored etc... What will sustain the UK? What are we going to be exporting to the world?

Whilst a decent pay increase may make us feel appreciated/help us pay our bills better in the short term, it certainly won't help us for long. All it will do is compound the existing problems that we have already.

We need someone in the government who can actually manage things properly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    @Hightower - i feel rather offended by your remarks about the scottish
    How have I offended you? I have merely stated the 'facts' that I read in the paper. I have not been in any way (even according to the PC enthusiasts) been racist to any nation. I have stated my opinion, with details from the newspaper to try and back them up.

I'm trying to stick to the topic but how can I with soft remarks like this. It's ok for the English to be called isn't it?! We're the softest nation going!

Thank Post
    Inflation would still rise without pay rises.
    Not necessarily and that's the point why we should take the inflation target payrise and watch. Once speculators stop messing with oil prices they should drop a bit and inflation along with it.

'facts' that I read in the paper
    I'd rather you said what you 'read' in the paper not the 'facts' in the paper

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    So back on topic - Inflation would still rise without pay rises. At the end of us here we are pretty much all skilled workers, but we are all pretty much (with the exception of a few "I'm alright Jack") getting paid an unskilled bottom of the rung wage.
    Hmm.... Now inflation may well rise without a pay rise due to external factors (e.g. the economy is slowing down). However if the big unions force pay rises that's bound to increase tax / inflation which will be bad for everyone. There is no point having this "extra" money if in doing so you force up inflation.

It certainly is a problem and I don't see a quick fix I just think the unions need to have a wider view of the countries economic conditions.

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    How have I offended you? I have merely stated the 'facts' that I read in the paper. I have not been in any way (even according to the PC enthusiasts) been racist to any nation. I have stated my opinion, with details from the newspaper to try and back them up.

I'm trying to stick to the topic but how can I with soft remarks like this. It's ok for the English to be called isn't it?! We're the softest nation going!
    Ok if your going to quote a newspaper as fact/evidence we need a link to the story. As I've already provided you with a link that seems to clearly contradict your stated "facts".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Or a scan of your buttocks, as that seems to be where the 'facts' were pulled from

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast