+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, UNISON vote for strike in General; @Sirbendy: Yeh the IT side of BSF will meerly hand over lots of taxpayers money to large IT companies (this ...
    Thank Post
    @Sirbendy: Yeh the IT side of BSF will meerly hand over lots of taxpayers money to large IT companies (this gov just loves that) to bring mediocrity to schools. Any that are ahead of the curve will be bought into line, sure some need bringing up as they're failing but the inovative schools should be left alone. Of course the people bidding for the contracts want it to be LA wide.

@skunk: yes some people are really going to feel the pinch this year but i don't think a round of bumper payrises this year will solve anything.

@bossman:
    I blame Margaret Thatcher and the tories for turning everyone into greedy, i am better than you cos i have a four wheel drive and a 5 bedroom house that i purchased through my mortgage by borrowing ridiculous amounts of money from the bank or building society leaving me with negative equity and now the greedy banks want to up the interest rate and i can't afford the repayments oh what am i to do?
    Nah that's just human nature always has been always will be. I think people have to deal with the fact that we're probably going to enjoy a drop in living standards for some time.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th June 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    We don't need them. P45 anyone?
    Can't do that, redundancy costs too much. Let's outsource them and let the private companies do it instead.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the strike.

Most of the support staff work bloody hard, and at the end of the year they are told that there efforts are worth less than last year...and the year before that. It stinks.

Its great to sit on here and pontificate about how people should just suck it up for the common good but I work in a particularly poor area where people are struggling and wondering how they are going to put food on the table and pay the bills. This is after being hit by the 10p tax fiasco. How about we go and tell them they have to suck it up huh?

Thank Post
    Hey ho, what can I say..... 2 years and I'll be living in Corfu, once and for all leaving this absolute disgrace of a country behind.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Hey ho, what can I say..... 2 years and I'll be living in Corfu, once and for all leaving this absolute disgrace of a country behind.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
    I am rapidly coming round to your way of thinking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post

Alt, my way would be to fight for stepped pay awards with the lowest earners awarded bigger pay rises than higher earners, any higher earners that moan I’d point out that it's that or higher taxes which do you prefer. Tough love
    Oh yeah- and how is that fair? My partner works very hard and has got where he is by sheer determination. How is it fair to give lower earners more of a pay rise than him thus eroding the pay differentials? Obviously some people are very badly paid and something needs to be done about that, but giving higher earners less of a pay rise is not really the answer. We already pay much more in higher rate taxes anyway, so we are contributing more as it is.

My partner has just been told that he gets absolutely no pay rise of any sort this year, not even an inflationary one, (he works for a very large telecomms company) and this is following 2 years of less than inflationary pay rises.

Hightower - are you going to become a Greek Citizen when you move to Corfu? If this country is so bad? FYI inflation is higher in Greece than in the UK
    Last edited by witch; 24th June 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I blame Margaret Thatcher and the tories for turning everyone into greedy, i am better than you cos i have a four wheel drive and a 5 bedroom house that i purchased through my mortgage by borrowing ridiculous amounts of money from the bank or building society leaving me with negative equity and now the greedy banks want to up the interest rate and i can't afford the repayments oh what am i to do?
    Amen to that !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Its great to sit on here and pontificate about how people should just suck it up for the common good but I work in a particularly poor area where people are struggling and wondering how they are going to put food on the table and pay the bills.
    Well this is it: Why are the poorest paid people having to take the cut so that the richer bunch can continue getting richer?

Why don't the rich people take cut after cut each year? Why are we suffering for their decent pay packet?

No, we need to be paid more fairly we shouldn't have to take the fall time and time again. Why do we put up and shut up? Teachers are screaming every five minutes about their pay, yet we're not? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thank Post
    @ witch: i didn't say it was fair we just need a new option rather than the same old. I work very hard as well but i'm not and i'm sure you partner as well aren't in danger of losing everything because they simply can't earn enough to pay their gas bill.

My partner has just been told that he gets absolutely no pay rise of any sort this year, not even an inflationary one, (he works for a very large telecomms company) and this is following 2 years of less than inflationary pay rises.
    I've worked in private industry and been told the same and it hurts but that's what happens it's better that the other 'we aren't paying you this month alternative'
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 24th June 2008 at 11:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We already pay much more in higher rate taxes anyway, so we are contributing more as it is.
    I'd much rather be in a higher tax bracket than the lower one!

Hightower - are you going to become a Greek Citizen when you move to Corfu? If this country is so bad? FYI inflation is higher in Greece than in the UK
    You think this country has got things right?! You partner may work very hard, but what about the hundreds of thousands of other workers who honestly work equally as hard but go unrecognised. In this country, the rich get richer, the poor get are forced into debt and the lazy b*astards who have never lifted a finger their entire life get a house and a nice fortnightly cheque!

Thank Post
    I know what could help this country if we weren't too soft, and I know there's a lot of you guys on here and I don't mean any offense to you (as you are all the hard working guys).

Cut the Scottish off. Out of 5 million residents in Scotland, 680,000 are working! that means more than 4 million are out of work. So how, being part of the UK have they managed to get free dental care, free uni fee's etc and we are left to foot the bill?

It costs the UK 64% more to keep the Scottish than what they can contribute? So why are we so soft.

Put the wall back up is what I say, let them fend for themselves!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Where the are you getting your figures from?
    Last edited by Irazmus; 24th June 2008 at 12:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did you mean:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Where the are you getting your figures from?

Thank Post
    Newspaper a little while ago (and no, it wasn't the Daily Star!).

Those were the facts Ryan. I don't mean any offense to anyone, but you have to look at the stats and see Scotland is costing the UK (inc England, Wales & N.I.) a lot of money!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I know what could help this country if we weren't too soft, and I know there's a lot of you guys on here and I don't mean any offense to you (as you are all the hard working guys).

Cut the Scottish off. Out of 5 million residents in Scotland, 680,000 are working! that means more than 4 million are out of work. So how, being part of the UK have they managed to get free dental care, free uni fee's etc and we are left to foot the bill?

It costs the UK 64% more to keep the Scottish than what they can contribute? So why are we so soft.

Put the wall back up is what I say, let them fend for themselves!
    Whilst I do agree that ""English"" money shouldn't pay for Scottish executive projects this is a very simplistic view of looking at things. I think your figures are complete rubbish tbh see http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati...04/17042/21542

One very good reason not to "Cut the Scottish off" is the fact that the majority of north sea oil comes ashore in Scotland. Another major issue is that removing Scottish seats would completely change the balance of power in parliament so this would have to be addressed which I'm pretty sure would cost money. IMO the UK is much stronger united than in it's constituent parts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast