+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Server Names in General; What do you guys call your servers? I know in my old school they based their server / admin machine ...

Thank Post

Server Names

What do you guys call your servers?

I know in my old school they based their server / admin machine names on the gerry anderson theme

e.g. Thunderbird (1,2,3,4,5), Stingray, Capt. Scarlet, Fireball etc..

wonder if anyone has Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa & Maggie yet?!?!

Thank Post

Re: Server Names

I was trying to think of a good naming scheme but couldnt think of one at the time. I just stuck with boring school initials plus role name eg FMDC1. I have been getting a little more adventurous lately though and called the Exchange server Postoffice maybe theres hope for me yet. The closest I did get though was a judge dredd theme but that would have just been Megacity1, Megacity2 etc. New servers are coming soon so maybe I will....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

At the primary schools there's usually just the one server so I have Wesham01, Newton01, Treales01 etc.

However at Carr Hill we name the machines after classical gods and mythological figures. For example, I'm currently working on the bridging firewall which is called Cerberus.

Thank Post

Mines pretty sad really (though not compared to Thunderbirds), it's school.network!! When I worked for ICL/Fujitsu, all the mainframes were "public" so we had A-PUB B-PUB etc, and I've set up a server for my home network, for the wife and called it EBAY, no prizes for guessing why!!!

Thank Post

The best naming convention I have seen was in the computing departing at St Andrews University. All the servers (Uni-wide) plus all the workstations in the department of computer science were named after Scottish whiskeys. Some of the names did get rather long and hard to spell! - most of us tested our software on Jura (simply because we couldn't be arsed typing anything longer!)

My server convention is rather boring. My windows servers are named SVR#, linux ones are named linux-## and terminal servers are named SVRTS##. I tend not to name them by role since my servers are mostly multi-role. I can always give them DNS aliases anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Powys used to have a Trekkian naming convention - the intranet server was voyager. My DC was named before I started at the school - it's new-ads - short for newtown active directory server .

Thank Post

Pretty standard stuff here really, but we tend to keep to descriptive names which make things easier to remember...

DC1 and DC2 reall speak for themselves... then we have appserver (for applications) storeserver (for pupil data) caterserver (for our cashless catering system) sims-sql and fms-sql for sims / fms and about another 7 or 8 but I thik you may get the gist of how we name our boxes.

Cheers
    karl

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I get bored too easily ...

We now use precious and semi-precious metals ...
    Platinum, Gold, Silver, Iridium

And then for admin boxes we use common metals
    Copper, Iron, Zinc ....

If we ever get serious about linux boxes I will go with noble gases.

Thank Post

surprised no one does this one - too obvious i know - but names of girls I use (dont flame me TOO much lol)

[year of creation (two digit)]SRV[Girlsname]

I named the curriculum DC after my girlfriend - oh how sweet (tho she didnt think so. Cant imagine why. A dependable machine ready to service you 24/7 lmao)

Hope that aint too rude for the forum - will delete if wanted lol

Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

think post should be ok but i am sure the women who wonder this forum will say so if they are offended

saying that part from linuxgirllie who wonders in from time to time have we any other females come on must be more females in ict out there

russ

Thank Post

Plea to all Network Managers...

Please don't call your servers/Desktops etc after Star Wars/Simpson or any other characters.

Apart from the embarrassment/geek factor (which I’m sure many of you relish in ) it is very painful for the person who replaces you when you eventually move on.

I tried to carry on the Star Trek convention at my school when I took over but due to my little knowledge it was a chore just to figure out a name let alone a system. It was also un-intuitive for users to find services/printers etc.

I now use a similar convention to others who have posted, i.e. mail for Exchange, firewall for the firewall, curriculum, admin, cache etc. The same goes for PCs and printer share names with \\[classroom#]-[increasing numeral] (e.g. T18-01) and for printers \\[Roomname]-[printer type] (e.g. T18-Laser or T18-Colour)

This approach simplifies things a lot and if you a lucky enough to take on an apprentice or assistant then it is easy for them to find their way around the system.

Sorry for waffling on but one last tip, when browsing the network I found it difficult to browse between different servers so I named them all with a 0 at the front (e.g. 0mail, 0admin) this means that they are always the first to appear in the browser!
    ---------------------------------------
    Thom McKiernan
    Network Manager
    Biddenham US & Sports College
    support@biddenham.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread