+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Now we're getting somewhere... in General; Time to redress the FFS vs' "It works" balance again... Here's what's gone right... Resolved a secretaries problems with US ...
    Thank Post

Now we're getting somewhere...

Time to redress the FFS vs' "It works" balance again...

Here's what's gone right...

• Resolved a secretaries problems with US keyboard and profile just not seeming to work properly by logging in as admin, wiping her old profile (after creating a backup), and allowing a new one to be created again.. Now she can print, etc and the US keyboard has finally gone... Yay #1
    • Servers are now up, running with DFS, replication and the like.. Bit hinky in places but hey...
    • Default RIS image sorted for our new laptops
    • Software repackaging setup is ready and being put to good use although ironically I've found that most of the school software actually has MSI's.. We'll gloss over Office 2k7
    • Printers are working, most of the time with a few teething issues related to the powerline units but they're minor..
    • My login scripts have been tweaked some more and improved so that the staff have the proper access to kids stuff, kids have access only to what they should and people aren't pestering me for passwords
    • Staff are actually reading my updates and acting on them, although they studiously ignored the "Appropriate bribes" section.. Damn them.. :P

So, time to go home I think...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    [*]Staff are actually reading my updates and acting on them, although they studiously ignored the "Appropriate bribes" section.. Damn them.. :P[/list]

So, time to go home I think...

I'd take a look for flying pigs as you go home - enjoy the weekend

Thank Post
    I introduced Webman's online room booking system just before last year to replace the paper-based one which was kept in our office and caused quite a few problems for us. I created a walkthrough in Wink and a shortcut all in a folder availalbe to staff. A few weeks ago I ran an (anonymous) online survey about the system and it's introduction where one person found it too difficult to understand. The results of the survey went out to all staff this afternoon via the online bulletin. I got this message back within the hour,

"Whoever wrote those comments about the system being too difficult are just being.........!!!! Clearly, they have a bee in their bonnet. The system in great, so were the instructions, it's other people who obviously hadn't bother to read/watch the vid.

Have a nice weekend!"

I feel that Webman deserves a lot of credit for devising such an easy to use system, and one of the reasons I chose it is because it was so straightforward. For anyone who hasn't used it, I suggest you try. It's a great way to introduce staff to the idea of working from a central, online information store.

Thank Post
    I'm just trying it on my localhost setup here...Uniform WAMP server, PHP5, MySQL etc.

Looks good, but it's throwing errors trying to do certain things..and I'm seeing things in the error log that it thinks are missing..

WAMPserver that Webman recomends is throwing up empty pages for me..I'll have another poke at it. We use MRBS at the moment, and while it does the job, it looks...well..dull...

Thank Post
    Check nothing is already running on port 80, that's pretty much the most common problem with WAMP installations.

Mike.

Thank Post
    no, nothing running.

Here's a sample PHP sulk:

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Warning
    Filename: rooms/rooms_add.php
    Line Number: 203

It's PHP5.2.3

I get that error on the create room bit, in the last box. If I click proceed, I get these:

Filename: controllers/rooms.php
    Line Number: 290

Severity: Notice
    Filename: controllers/rooms.php
    Line Number: 299

Filename: models/rooms_model.php
    Line Number: 412

Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at W:\www\crbs\system\libraries\Exceptions.php:164)
    Filename: helpers/url_helper.php
    Line Number: 447

and so on..it's partly fine, partly not. Server logs point to missing PNGs all over the shop (and it's right..I can't find them..)

I downgraded PHP5.2.3 to 4.1x, and it threw the usual MySQL wobbly about usernames and clients..heh..I hate that..

Thank Post
    I was going to use the offering from Webman...except it doesnt support LDAP auth

That means the head of ICT doesn't want to go for it because it's more usernames + passwords for staff to try to remember.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information