+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Network Access - who gets what? in General; Originally Posted by Hightower Is this guy new? If not, where did all this come from? Why is he shouting ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Is this guy new? If not, where did all this come from? Why is he shouting now?
    Nah, he's been here since the start.

At first, on the existing network, he had lots of access, i cut him off, argued with him, then the head took my side.
    Its been alright since.
    But over the summer we're building everything from scratch, so i think he's taking the opportunity to lay his mark down.
    If he just wants elevated access over other staff, then thats fine.
    But Domain Admin access, not a chance. I will quit if the decision goes against me.

Whats awkward though, is that im always asking for a second techie, so if i turn down training him in some routine stuff and whatnot, its weakening my position somewhat...

I do keep getting told by him that he doesnt want Domain Admin access, but then seconds later i'll get some spiele about how he used to manage fine when he did, so that to me paints a different picture long term.

What would you lot say i should train him to do?
    Ghosting a workstation?
    Resetting the server? (blade based).
    Last edited by boomam; 19th June 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    What would you lot say i should train him to do?
    Ghosting a workstation?
    Resetting the server? (blade based).
    No - it's not his job! If he has time to ghost workstations etc he'd be better served working on some inovative teaching and learning project.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    No - it's not his job! If he has time to ghost workstations etc he'd be better served working on some inovative teaching and learning project.
    True, but as said, there-in lies my problem.

The school has fallen back on him in the past due to lack of techies, and i think the head still sees him as such.
    + If i refuse to train him in doing such tasks, then it will severely weaken my position in asking for a second technician to help me out.
    It sounds like i hate the guy, i don't, he's actually a really nice bloke, helped me out no end, even contributed some of his capitation to pay for some help over summer for me. And i do think that he thinks a second technician would be good also, but, he always looks at worst case, never gonna happen, 10billion to 1 chance of happening, scenarios. And seems to have the heads 'ear' on that one. At the moment, if i leave, am off sick, on a course, ect; and something goes wrong, no-one can do nout. And that's the problem he's got.
    Even though the new network will have so much redundancy that it can survive a good week or two without repairs on its own...

Thank Post
    Just dug a letter i wrote on the matter to the head the first time this situation cropped up.
    I think i'll re-jig it a bit and add in some of the stuff you guys/gals have mentioned.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @Boomam:
    Have you considered that with him being a teacher the new teachers remit soon to be introduced states that a teacher will not do anything other than teach and in no way take on any admin duties.
    Obviously doing IT tasks fits this criteria so unfortunately he cannot undertake any of these duties due to his union restrictions which will be part of his contract. If he wants to break his legal contract then i feel other teachers may feel resentment towards him and lay him in to their union which could involve some pretty dire consequences for the Headteacher.
    The Head cannot allow this teacher to carry on like this, how would this teacher feel if you turned round and decided you wanted to teach his classes do you think that the Head would allow this i doubt it for the reasons you have put forward in that this teacher however well meaning he may seem does not have the necessary skills to perform the tasks he has asked for.

Thank Post
    Bossman, do you have a link for that information.
    Thats information is VERY useful...

Thank Post
    Can you not put the point forward that "he's paid to teach - most teachers are crying out for extra free PPA time, so if he thinks he's got time to do the techy stuff are you sure he's doing his teaching job right?"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Boomam:
    Have you considered that with him being a teacher the new teachers remit soon to be introduced states that a teacher will not do anything other than teach and in no way take on any admin duties.
    That's what I said earlier about workforce reform or workforce remodelling. It isn't something being brought in in the future - it's here, now. We have been remodelling our workforce for the last 4 years or so to take away non-teaching roles from teachers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    Bossman, do you have a link for that information.
    Thats information is VERY useful...
    The link I gave you in a previous post is relevant to that - it's all about tasks teachers should not be doing. A google for teachers workforce reform will bring up many useful links.

Thank Post
    Check your contract and see who is responsible for managing the network. If it is you, then you could allow him the access he wants AFTER you have fully trained him. You wouldn't allow a new tech full access to your network without training to ensure they didn't break it. Same rules apply(even taking out that contractually the teacher cant do these tasks- unless of course he is also employed as a part time techie) start by training him with the basics, and increase this as his competency groes.

Document everything, include the point that you cant be held responsible for anything that goes wrong if the head is giving authority to network wide settings to people who aren't capable of it. If you are not allowed to implement the things that need to be done, you cant be responsible when things break.

Is any county support available to you? If so, could you not point out that they are the backup in case anything happens to you?

Incedently, are you due to go through JE anytime soon? I'm just thinking that if this teacher gets the admin rights he wants, you will loose the sole responsibility of managing the network. If there are 2 of you doing the work it could be argued that the teacher is the NM and you are the techie implementing the things he wants done. I may be a little cynical here, but is something to watch out for.
    Last edited by pallen; 20th June 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pallen View Post
    Check your contract and see who is responsible for managing the network. If it is you, then you could allow him the access he wants AFTER you have fully trained him. You wouldn't allow a new tech full access to your network without training to ensure they didn't break it. Same rules apply(even taking out that contractually the teacher cant do these tasks- unless of course he is also employed as a part time techie) start by training him with the basics, and increase this as his competency groes.
    Unfortuntaelly, he's been givin the job title, as well as Head of ICT, of NM. Even though i do everything that a NM should do!

Is any county support available to you? If so, could you not point out that they are the backup in case anything happens to you?
    Yes, but its not onsite asap with our LEA. Its usually within 24-48 hours depending on the problem.

Incedently, are you due to go through JE anytime soon? I'm just thinking that if this teacher gets the admin rights he wants, you will loose the sole responsibility of managing the network. If there are 2 of you doing the work it could be argued that the teacher is the NM and you are the techie implementing the things he wants done. I may be a little cynical here, but is something to watch out for.
    JE?
    The head is aparentely promoting me to NM in the next financial year. Aparentely.

Ive begun taking notes down off this thread, gonna redo a doc i made a while ago for this purpose, for worst case scenario for me.
    Anyone interested in me posting it up?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Just allow him power user access which should allow him access to the things he wants.
    I would also have a quiet word with the headteacher and emphasise the fact that the head of ICT if given domain admin rights would be able to look at everything, including any secure documentation that the Headteacher or anyone else for that matter keeps on the servers.

Security is a must and you have to stress this to your Headteacher as he/she is legally responsible for the schools data.
    Head of ICT, who is more senior than NM and IT techs, has access to all this, and you alert the head about this, and she realises that the default £14k a year IT tech can read EVERYTHING.... How is she going to feel about none SMT members having such access.

Thank Post
    JE - Job Evaluation. Basically assess what task you do and what responsibilities you have and that you should be on the correct scale for your job (regardless of title)

Support from the LEA - that is what the schools pay for. If the service level agreement is for 24-48 response time, then maybe that contract should be looked at, not giving more people network access. If you are not using the LEA support what is the point of paying for it?

Sorry to say this, but if the IT Teacher is the NM then it is him who should be doing the tasks you carry out. If he wants full network access he should have it as the NM. Realistically it is you who does these tasks. If you do them all now, you should have a contract which states what you do, not wait until the next financial year.

I would request a copy of both your contracts so you can identify where your roles seperate and who is responsible what. It sounds, just like many schools, that they want you to do all the work, but not give you the pay. I would request that you get things in writing from the head about who should be doing what, otherwise it could get very messy.

Of course if the teacher is doing the tasks that you do, you could request that you should be paid the same for doing the same job

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12