+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fuel crisis over in General; Originally Posted by cookie_monster Yeh they were untouchable, was it the Times that ended up with hundreds working for them ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Yeh they were untouchable, was it the Times that ended up with hundreds working for them as it was easier to just hire a new one than it was to get rid of a useless one. Then Murdock (maggot) took over and went berserk when he discovered the situation
    Indeed. Bill Bryson writes about them in one of his books. They got paid different rates dependant on what typeface they laid and in what quantities. Often the rates were huge and disproportionate to the actual job being done. The real trouble started when modern photo-type printing presses were introduced and they didn't need these type of skills anymore. As the printing unions ruled Fleet Street papers simply opened new plants up elsewhere employing the new technologies.

Thank Post
    eh Hello - Shell make 1.3 billion every month so it is certainly affordable to pay them whatever they like, they could be on 100k and Shell would still be have enough money to wallpaper their HQ in €500 notes
    I don't think they're employed by Shell they spun them of ages ago so they could bath in pure profit.

@ DOS_BOX: ahh that might be where i remember it from, 'Notes from a small island' wasn't it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Dangerous? When was the last time someone in their industry was injured (and by injured, I mean serious enough to count as an injury, not a scuffed knee or something) due to the job?
    faling asleep at the wheel and having a crash?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Nothing that I would call dangerous. Certainly not more dangerous than working in a petrol station, where people ignore the signs and smoke, use their mobiles
    Urban myths. Neither a lit fag or a mobile phone can cause an explosion at a petrol station.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Urban myths. Neither a lit fag or a mobile phone can cause an explosion at a petrol station.
    ive never understood the thing about mobiles maybe its the electrical surge through the mobile signals

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inbir316 View Post
    ive never understood the thing about mobiles maybe its the electrical surge through the mobile signals
    Sparking of the contacts between the battery and the phone so I've heard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    No its nothing because it can't happen

The voltage in a mobile is massively under what would be needed to ignite petrol.

Seriously, Google it and see how many experts have rubbished it.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 19th June 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'd get more of a spark from a dodgy earth on the car itself when you touch the door.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    faling asleep at the wheel and having a crash?
    That's a risk all HGV drivers have, as do coach drivers and others... Nothing special about tanker drivers.

Actually, either can be a source of ignition. The latter is a very low possibility (the the extent that it isn't worth banning, as someone dropping a quartz rock on another quartz rock in a puddle of petrol is more likely), the lit fag is much more likely. The temperature range of a lit cigarette is between 400 and 700 degrees centigrade. (depending on whether the person is drawing in at the time or not). The ignition point of liquid petrol is around 260 - 480 degrees C (depending on conditions). True, if the amount of petrol is large, a cigarette would most likely be put out if dropped into a tank of it but if it is dropped onto a light covering of it on the floor, then ignition is likely. Factor in petrol vapour and ignition is even more likely...

Thank Post
    @ sparkeh: yeh i remember not long ago reading about a test where they had a caravan full of phones and then varied the amount of fuel vapor in there while ringing them. It is of course better safe than sorry

As for the explosion at a petrol station i think you'll find that petrol will go up very easily but you could chuck a cigarette into a bucket of diesel with no probs (at room temp). It's all to do with vaporisation at average temperatures.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's the thought, but it is very unlikely. The fact that they use Lithium Ion batteries is one possible problem though, as they can burst into flames if pierced. But that's only as risky as any other random device bursting into flames, and wouldn't matter if it was in use or not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No its nothing because it can't happen

The voltage in a mobile is massively under what would be needed to ignite petrol.

Seriously, Google it and see how many experts have rubbished it.
    Oh don't worry I know that it is complete BS . That is just the excuse that they give the attendants around here as to why it is bad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Plus, if mobiles are so dangerous in petrol stations, why do lots of them have mobile masts in their forecourt price signs? Death wish?

Thank Post
    @ DOS_BOX: ahh that might be where i remember it from, 'Notes from a small island' wasn't it?
    Exactly right - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Notes-Small-...3886994&sr=8-3

To say that Fleet Street in the early 1980s was out of control barely hints at the scale of matters. The National Graphical Association, the printers’ union, decided how many people were needed on each paper (hundreds and hundreds) and how many were to be laid off during a recession (none), and billed the management accordingly. Managements didn’t have the power to hire and fire their own print workers, indeed generally didn’t know how many print workers they employed. I have before me a headline from December 1985 saying “Auditors find 300 extra printing staff at Telegraph.” That is to say, the Telegraph was paying salaries to 300 people who didn’t actually work there. On top of plump salaries, printers received special bonus payments for handling type of irregular sizes, for dealing with heavily edited copy, for setting words in a language other than English, for the white space at the end of lines. If work was done out of house – for instance, advertising copy that was set outside the building – they were compensated for not doing it. In consequence, many senior printers, with skills no more advanced than you would expect to find in any back-street print shop, enjoyed incomes in the top 2 per cent of British earnings. It was crazy.
    Last edited by somabc; 19th June 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As for the explosion at a petrol station i think you'll find that petrol will go up very easily but you could chuck a cigarette into a bucket of diesel with no probs (at room temp). It's all to do with vaporisation at average temperatures.
    Yep, diesel has to be at least 62 degrees before it will ignite. So a cigarette in a bucket of it at normal outdoor temperatures would just go out. Compared with petrol, which will burn at temperatures higher than minus 40 degrees.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast