+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fuel crisis over in General; But there is the difference between doing a cruddy job, such as driving long distances, shift work, long hours monotony ...

Thank Post
    But there is the difference between doing a cruddy job, such as driving long distances, shift work, long hours monotony and by doing something silly you might die and having a dangerous job. Zoo keepers coudl get mauled if thye poke a tiger in the eye not sure that they get 14% rise for it though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    But there is the difference between doing a cruddy job, such as driving long distances, shift work, long hours monotony and by doing something silly you might die and having a dangerous job. Zoo keepers coudl get mauled if thye poke a tiger in the eye not sure that they get 14% rise for it though!
    Many many people do monotonous jobs, shift work etc... They certainly don't get 42k or 14% pay rises.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I worked in a petrol station and the risk is very low. Precautions are common sense - make sure there are no ignition points, make sure all seals are in place and let it pump.

Nothing that I would call dangerous. Certainly not more dangerous than working in a petrol station, where people ignore the signs and smoke, use their mobiles, leave engines running etc...

The most dangerous aspect of petrol is when there is vapour, which is a lot more flammable. During pumping from a tanker to a forecourt, there is minimal contact with the air, so the amount of vapour is low.

During filling a car, there is a constant stream of vapour and as such, there is considerably more risk.

Yet a forecourt cleaner or a station attendant will earn near minimum wage.

Add in the risk of being robbed and it makes it seem even more unreasonable.
    Oh yeah! been there - car pulls up, unleaded, pump running and then you spot it - the Cig...

"PUMP 3...ARE YOU TRYING TO FG KILL ALL OF US!!!"

then they have the uter audacity to stick the finger up at you and THROW IT ON THE FLOOR!!

its liek that seen from Lethal Weapon (3?) - "Grab The Cat"...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Oh yeah! been there - car pulls up, unleaded, pump running and then you spot it - the Cig...

"PUMP 3...ARE YOU TRYING TO FG KILL ALL OF US!!!"

then they have the uter audacity to stick the finger up at you and THROW IT ON THE FLOOR!!

its liek that seen from Lethal Weapon (3?) - "Grab The Cat"...
    Its impossible to set petrol alight with a cigarette. Do you not watch Mythbusters? Matches and lighters are a different matter though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    And the driver walked away without a scratch. Hmm he really earned his pay cheque that day

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    And the driver walked away without a scratch. Hmm he really earned his pay cheque that day
    Given the mysterious source of the blaze, maybe it happened to re-claim the public's sympathy in a show of how "dangerous" the job is.

Thank Post
    29,000 litres of diesel that's 37,700 at 1.30 a litre. Perhaps their salary is due to the value of their cargo?

Thank Post

They work a 50+ hour week

They work a 50+ hour week driving a bomb - extremely dangerous - extremely exhausting and boring as hell - and think of all the aresole on the motorways! - I think they deserve every penny - with out hem we have no fuel and whilst that might mean I cant get to work - it also means that the hospitals cant have fuel for vital things, the emergency services could not reach us etc etc.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to drive tankers in the army (on a Bosnia tour), and am still fully qualified to do so (amongst other things). The danger is negligible, in fact, I feel in more danger in a server room than driving\operating a tanker. Do I think they are worth 41k? No. Most Tanker work is not like normal haulage as they usually do set 'rounds' and as such they don't do overnighters (not allowed to sleep in the cabs or park up in a public area for long periods). The Shell drivers simply began to hit the profits of their employers when fuel prices are sky high (even though the cost of production has not changed) and their rivals got their customers.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    hancock

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    They work a 50+ hour week driving a bomb - extremely dangerous - extremely exhausting and boring as hell - and think of all the aresole on the motorways! - I think they deserve every penny - with out hem we have no fuel and whilst that might mean I cant get to work - it also means that the hospitals cant have fuel for vital things, the emergency services could not reach us etc etc.....
    50+ hour week? They aren't required to do that. The legal limit is 50. And driving an HGV, they have limits on how long they can drive anyway.

I still don't think they deserve 42k. Maybe 35k. No way, no how.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Many many people do monotonous jobs, shift work etc... They certainly don't get 42k or 14% pay rises.
    Sorry, that was my point but really badly put.

Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post

As it happens, it looks like they've got a strong union (unlike public sector unions)
    thats the first thing my boss and I said. Stuff UNISON lets go join their union.

But you are right if it was anyother commodity then no one would have really cared. But that then highlights the failing in government that they have no contingency plan or are unwilling/hessitant to put it into action in the event of a problem.

This with a number of other factors make it look like there could be interesting times ahead.

Thank Post
    Remember the print unions of fleet street in the '80s?
    Yeh they were untouchable, was it the Times that ended up with hundreds working for them as it was easier to just hire a new one than it was to get rid of a useless one. Then Murdock (maggot) took over and went berserk when he discovered the situation

Thank Post
    eh Hello - Shell make 1.3 billion every month so it is certainly affordable to pay them whatever they like, they could be on 100k and Shell would still be have enough money to wallpaper their HQ in €500 notes
    http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_...ages/burns.gif
    Last edited by somabc; 19th June 2008 at 02:51 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast