+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Live Video Delay in General; Originally Posted by plexer What do you mean by delay the footage? Once you have recorded it to the harddrive ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What do you mean by delay the footage?

Once you have recorded it to the harddrive you could use any manner of video playing programs to step through it frame by frame or something more complicated to actually process the video such as the software that has been mentioned.

Ben
    Delay, as in to view the footage on a projecter screen after it has been recorded without the need to press a button or rewind the tape.

Thank Post
    Parental consent?

Ensure the SMT do need leave you carrying the can when word gets back to the parents.

Sounds dumb, but sadly itís the world in which we live folks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Polski: What are you talking about?

Quaium: I can't see how what you want to do is acheivable?

Ben

Thank Post
    Polski: What are you talking about?

Quaium: I can't see how what you want to do is acheivable?

Ben
    It is acheivable but with expensive software. I've seen the software Kandel (I think that's what it's called or it could be the company name) in action and it works very well but like I said it's way to expensive!

Thank Post
    The "Parental consent" bit refers to the fact the school may not have a policy in force to allow the children to be videoed.

Not 'small minded', just an observation.

Thank Post
    quaium: well from what you have said I think you may just have to conceed that you cannot acheive what you want to do and that reviewing the footage after it has been saved is an option.

Other than that would it be possible encode the video on the fly as web stream and then open a viewer a few seconds later?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys but I think I've found the solution with Windows Media Encoder (big thanks to limbo).

We're just going to setup the camcorder, get the kids to do their stuff, while their doing that we'll encode the footage to a file with Windows Media Encoder and then instantly play it back in Windows Media Player. No need to touch the camcorder or fiddle about with it, no need for stopping, rewinding and playing the tape and best of all only a few simple button presses required from the teacher.

Thank Post
    I still don't see the point in needing such instantaneous playback rather than pe teacher going through footage with student and analysing what they need to change.

Ben

Thank Post
    I still don't see the point in needing such instantaneous playback rather than pe teacher going through footage with student and analysing what they need to change.

Ben
    Becuase it's not in a classrooom... it's a sports hall packed with 30 excited kids. The PE teacher needs to have his full attention on the kids and as little interaction with PC/video equipment as possible. For them to film the kids on a camcorder and then view it back is going to be time consuming and "fiddly". We just wanted a simple method, which could be instantly played back on a projector to the entire class.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    There is not much point in playing it back later - you want them to see it there and then so they can improve instantly.

Think about a situation like vaulting - a queue of 30 kids having a go one after the other, and having many goes within the hour.

They have a go at the vault - walk over to the TV and watch what they have just done with the teacher there to comment. They then go to the back of the queue and implement the changes on their next go - in the meantime another student has had a go and is now stood at the TV ready to watch.

It is hard to get the timing right - but if you do then it can have instant results on student improvement. You do no need to fast forward or rewind - you just leave it running because if there is a 20 second delay, and it takes students 20 seconds to walk from a finished vault to the TV screen then it always works. But being able to pause it if the student does not get to the TV in time is handy.

I used to be a sports coach at a relatively high club standard - and with technical sports like Gymnastics, Trampolining etc. this can have a huge impact because a student knows how something should look - but has no idea what they look like. If they know there legs should be straight, and think they are - seeing on playback that there legs were not straight means they realise it and can take steps to fix it - and when it is right then they know it too.

Thank Post
    Limbo - Could you to tell me how I go about doing the 20 second delay thing on a standalone laptop not connected to any network? I am able to encode the live broadcast but can't seem to find a way of watching it via the http address provided at setup or any other way. Could you help me out?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quaium
    Could you to tell me how I go about doing the 20 second delay thing on a standalone laptop not connected to any network? I am able to encode the live broadcast but can't seem to find a way of watching it via the http address provided at setup or any other way. Could you help me out?
    Sorry - been on holiday for the last week so just catching up.

The easiest way I have found to do this is to not to try and manage it as a broadcast.

Instead you want to capture the video to a file - as long as you select a .wmv file then you can be watching the video while still recording it.

So start it encoding to a file location, minimize media encoder and open the .wmv file in media player.

You can play, fast forward and rewind the video as normal while it is being captured without any problems at all.

Just make sure you have got plenty of disc space to record the stream to (you can alter the quality of the video to suit the performance of the PC and the quality needed for the exercise)

Hope this helps.

13. 2 Thanks to limbo:

quaium (4th July 2008), SYNACK (21st June 2008)

Thank Post
    Can't thank you enough Limbo. What you suggested there works just the way we wanted it to work. It's a shame I'd forgotten all about asking you for help because the teacher who went to showcase this to other schools just came back from doing it yesterday and I just noticed this today.

Not to worry, the others schools were just as impressed with just capturing and playing back a file instantly.

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    There is a cheaper option than dartfish or motion coach for live video delay. I found this software called swimwatch which can perform live video delay and it cost only 75,00 Euro. However it, does not have video analysis like its more expensive counterpart.

The SwimWatch - software for swimmers, coaches and analists - Download page

We're currently trialing it for gymnastics coaching.

Thank Post
    Have you seen those Flip Ultra video cameras. It might just do the trick they have the simplist controls ie press the big button to record and press it again to stop recording then press left or right to go forward or back a clip etc and although I haven't tried it yet I think you can plug them straight into a projector as they come with a video lead. We've also got a waterproof cover that lets you record upto 30ft or so down. From RM there abouth £90 although I think you can get them from amazon and elsewhere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast