+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, blackberry recomendation in General; Now then Im after a blackberry... I see this dude on the train every morning doing his emails etc Basically ...
    PEO
    Thank Post

blackberry recomendation

Now then

Im after a blackberry... I see this dude on the train every morning doing his emails etc Basically im sick of my rubbish LG viewty and want a propper Geek phone.

Any recomendations? also will they work on '3' network?

cheers gang

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The pearl is quite nice as it is compact.

I have to ask though, why a blackberry. You can get perfectly good push email on on any number of Windows Mobile devices that integrate simply with exchange and do not require the lumbering mess of blackberry software clogging up your server to function.

If you are willing to suffer their software on your server then you also have other options such as nokia E series phones that can integrate with a blackberry server also.

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    they have a new model coming out soon i think its called a "Bold"?

looks fancy.

Thank Post
    I have a Blackberry Curve (8300) and it's great. Couldn't do without it. The SMT must like them too as recently we have set them up a BES and the are all running the same handsets.

My personal blackberry is with O2 on their unlimited Blackberry Data plan and works a treat. Could do with 3G but apart from that does the trick. I don't think 3 do any blackberry plans, which I would advise going otherwise it might end up costing you a fortune in data charges.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Now then

Im after a blackberry... I see this dude on the train every morning doing his emails etc Basically im sick of my rubbish LG viewty and want a propper Geek phone.

Any recomendations? also will they work on '3' network?

cheers gang
    Not sure if '3' do a BES tariff for connecting to a Blackerry Enteprise Server.

The blackberry internet service is available from the other mobos, but that's not really 'enteprise' it's just basically a mobo hosted service that allows mail to be received from POP3 accounts such as the one you isp gives you or webmail accounts such as yahoo and googlemail on a blackberry handset. You could start off with that and then move onto a hosted blackberry server or setup your own server, but that comes with both licensing costs and the tariff add-on costs. Essentially Blackberrys are one trick ponys outisde of voice, it's not a true mobile internet device and you can't use it as hsdpa modem either 'cos only the new bold supports 3g.

Blackberry connect, the software available for Nokia-E and Windows Mobile smartphones does allow non-blackberrys to participate in a blackberry infrastructure, but it's a fairly pointless excercise as it is not as fully featured an experience as using RIM devices. As synack has said, with Exchange doing push email out-of-the-box and the option of blackberry connect client if you really really need it on non-RIM devices, there's little advantage in choosing a RIM handset and tariff add-on unless your running a domino or groupwise mail server. If you're running exchange get a Tytn II if you want a windows device or wait for the 3g iphone. with the iphone, you can browse the web without tearing your hair out once you've gotten bored of reading emails.

Thank Post
    I have a blackberry pearl and I bought the head and school manager one also. I haven't heard of the "Bold" model but I think i'll check it out.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

side tracking a little

Just wondering what the pro's and con's are between a blackberry phone ( regardless of model - if there is more then one model ) versus the iphone version 2 ( the one they just brought out ) which now does push email and a bunch of other stuff. Yes before you say it I know its only going to be released on the 11th of july.

Heard a lot of good things about black berrys but just wanted a bit of feedback.

Anyway back to the thread.

PEO
    Thank Post
    the blackberry bold looks the mutts nuts. Is it possible to buy one and just stick your own sim card in? I can get unlimited internet/email on my contract if i want so wouldn't be a problem.

Thank Post
    I've got a really old model Blackberry, it's quite simplistic compared to the more recent ones but I think it's absolutely great. I've had my fair share of Windows mobile devices in the past but didn't get along with them. I found the blackberry easy to setup initially and I like the ergonomics of it, the proper qwerty keyboard with no poxy stylus (I know more smart phones have these these days) is an absolute must, I couldn't go back to a device without one now.

One downside of the Blackberry (it might just be my setup though) is that I can't seem to reconcile my sent items properly - ie if I send something off the blackberry then come back into the office my sent items has no notion of it ever existing.

I think BB are great.

PEO
    Thank Post
    anyone got a guide on setting own BES ?

PEO
    Thank Post
    *bump*

Thank Post
    Both our Head and Head of Junior School have Blackberry's. We downloaded the Blackberry Professional Software, which is a free version of the Enterprise Server (it only allows 30 users) and comes with 1 user licence. We had to buy another user licence which was around £40.
    All working OK and was really simple to install. All the intructions are online on the blackberry website.

Thank Post
    Personally I've tried a couple of Blackberry models and thought both of them were pretty poor. Especially loathed that stupid trackball thing which is no match for a proper touch screen. The interface is hideously unintiutive and all the ones I've seen have brick-like form factors. They look and feel like smartphones from 5 years ago IMO. The full qwerty keyboard is handy for email but you lose so much screen space as a result of having it (which ruins web browsing and video playback) that it would be better to have an onscreen keyboard or a slide-out one like on the HTC Tytn models/etc.

Personally I'd go with an iphone or windows mobile device.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 26th May 2009 at 02:53 PM.

Thank Post
    I had the pearl as mentioned above and now have the bold - loved both phones.

TNE
    Thank Post
    I use a Sony Ericsson Xperia and although its had a few minor bugs overall its pretty good. The advantage i saw over the Blackberry was its slide out keyboard so no reduction in screen size. The email I use is pull but it can be used for Push if you have the right set up.

The HTC Touch Pro also gets good reviews

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast