+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, David Davis 'is to resign as MP' in General; He passed on a very healthy economy to Brown Shame he didn't pass on a very healthy health system, edcuation ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    He passed on a very healthy economy to Brown
    Shame he didn't pass on a very healthy health system, edcuation system and overall healthy country then......
    What I remember of when the Tories were in office:

Unemployment
    Family and pensioner poverty
    A failing health service
    10% inflation - [ Labour catching up quick !! ]
    15 per cent interest rates
    1.5 million in negative equity - [ again, Labour catching up quick ]
    250,000 mortgage repossessions
    Selling off of the family silver
    Poll tax

Hang on, Labour will soon have that list too !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Shame he didn't pass on a very healthy health system, edcuation system and overall healthy country then......
    What I remember of when the Tories were in office:

Unemployment
    Family and pensioner poverty
    A failing health service
    10% inflation - [ Labour catching up quick !! ]
    15 per cent interest rates
    1.5 million in negative equity - [ again, Labour catching up quick ]
    250,000 mortgage repossessions
    Selling off of the family silver
    Poll tax

Hang on, Labour will soon have that list too !!
    as you point out, labour is hardly doing very well on those things you mentioned - especially when it comes to selling off the family silver, in gordon browns case the gold....

...but i would like to point out that Ken Clarke did not leave 15% and 10% interest rates and inflation.....interest rates were something like 6.5% in 1996 and inflation was 2.5%....seeing as interest rates and inflation have been there or thereabouts with 1996 figures over the last 12 months (taking into account rates peaking at 5.75%) then tell me what's different about today than it was in 1996....oh yeah, civil liberties being eroded and the creation of thousands of paper millionaires through skyrocketing housing values...neither of which has stopped the gap between rich and poor form actually widening.

I think it's about people remembering 15% interest rates and the ERM fiasco rather than understanding where the economy was really heading 1994 onwards. selective amnesia.

our public services have been a bottomless pit of waste and mismanagement, so labours minor successes are very hollow victories. Shame the wealth wasn't better utilised by aiding social mobility...but there you have it, people who voted for labour in 2003 knew full well they were voting for even more billions to be flushed down the toilet.

Thank Post
    oh yeah, civil liberties being eroded and the creation of thousands of paper millionaires through skyrocketing housing values...neither of which has stopped the gap between rich and poor form actually widening.
    All govs over the last 30 years or so have been slowing eating away at civil liberties. And of course top of the list is the nation ID card which the Tories also want. [ I can't remember the lib dems stance on this, if they have one !! ]
    During the Tory boom and bust years paper millionaires were made - there will always be people out to make a quick buck when they can.
    As for public services - again when will govs realise you cannot run some of these to try and make a profit - other countries have leant and yes money does get flushed down the toilet - but at least they actually run !!
    I sometimes think we have it bad, but then I think at least I can go into a voting booth and stick a cross on a bit of paper without a gun to my head.....

Thank Post
    The move by David Davis is more than a mere publicity stunt, it's a pretty devious political move.

By doing what he has instantly everyone is going 'What is Labours move going to be?'.
    Will they stand against him? Or will they not even bother standing? Whatever their move, they will be wide open to criticism.

Whatever his motives, this is a powerful political statement and I agree with his sentiments about the 42 day thing. Roll on year-long detentions, no wait, infinite detentions without needing to give ANY reason whatsoever.

To any moron who thinks this will protect you. It won't. It's a big illusion, to make you feel nice and secure. I just hope that later today they see you, think you're mightily suspicious and arrest you for no reason whatsoever. Anyone who thinks that you have any human rights: you don't.

Maybe we can spice this up a little? Re-introduce torture as a viable interogation technique, and bring back the death penalty. Hell, why even bother with courts at all too? Lets go wild!
    Last edited by Friez; 13th June 2008 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    The whole 42 day thing is political suicide for Brown and his Gov, just like the poll tax was for the Tories.
    Anyone with me for nailing a copy of the Magna Carta on number 10 ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    The whole 42 day thing is political suicide for Brown and his Gov, just like the poll tax was for the Tories.
    Can we nail it to Gordon Brown instead?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Sorry but you are completely wrong. He is standing as a Tory candidate.

Read the last question here

But he already is the Tory MP!

Sorry I took it that as the Conservative party will not pay for his campaign that he will not represent them? It seems very strange to select a candidate but have them pay all their own costs? Why don't the Conservative party pay his expenses if they agree with him taking a stand on principle? Does Cameron think the campaign is a waste of money?

Last edited by somabc; 13th June 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    as you point out, labour is hardly doing very well on those things you mentioned - especially when it comes to selling off the family silver, in gordon browns case the gold....
    The important thing to remember is that it doesn't really matter who you vote in, it really doesn't change anything. If voting in someone else really did make a massive difference or could bring about a swinging change we wouldn't be allowed to do it

Where we meeting?

Can I ask, and I'm not thinking of anyone in particular here, "How many of the above posters actually remember what life was like under the Tories?"
    I was 20 when labour came to power, i did have an interest in politics but possibly can't appreciate fully what it was like, however i do know intelligent people who supported the tories and still do they argue that the economy was going through a tough cycle and just as labour are about to learn there really isn't much you can do. Well not spending every last penny the country has just before a recession might help.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politi...-200806121019/
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 13th June 2008 at 02:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    But he already is the Tory MP!

Sorry I took it that as the Conservative party will not pay for his campaign that he will not represent them? It seems very strange to select a candidate but have them pay all their own costs? Why don't the Conservative party pay his expenses if they agree with him taking a stand on principle? Does Cameron think the campaign is a waste of money?
    Yes that is a good question. But then its a safe seat so perhaps they think there isn't much to worry about? If no-one stands against him then the whole thing is academic anyway.

Thank Post
    It looks like all round sleazeball Kelvin McKenzie of the Sun (backed by Murdoch) will run against Davis.

The Sun columnist said he was approached by the paper's proprietor Rupert Murdoch and current editor Rebekah Wade who suggested he could step up to the challenge.

Ex-Sun man to challenge Davis | The Sun |HomePage|News

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_MacKenzie

MacKenzie was educated at Alleyn's School but little else is known about his background or early journalistic career. MacKenzie himself has said that he discovered early on in his career that he had little writing ability and that his talents lay in making up headlines and laying out pages.

He has been described by Piers Morgan as a man possessing a "particular form of dangerous genius".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7453035.stm
    Last edited by somabc; 13th June 2008 at 03:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information