+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cleaners... in General; I have to say - you can stick up for the cleaners if you wish "Bossman", but if they do ...
    Thank Post
    I have to say - you can stick up for the cleaners if you wish "Bossman", but if they do a crap job (and she does), why should we tolerate it? She's paid to do it - end of. Sorry, but that's life.

I'm paid a crap wage too..does that mean I should just silence alarms and leave faults, and leave keyboards and PCs half torn apart? I think not. As has been said - if you're paid to do a job, you do the damn job to the best of your ability.

We had an ace cleaner, who's now retired..and we're lumped with this utter excuse..it's frankly embarrasing, and bloody annoying. I think it might be time to set up the IP cam and see if she does anything in here.

As I say - she was sacked from her last area (music) for being shite...and we were warned to keep an eye on her. Well, I can see why..

2. 3 Thanks to Sirbendy:

Oops_my_bad (12th June 2008), OutToLunch (12th June 2008), tech_guy (12th June 2008)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've got a cleaner who just sweeps all the crud from one end of the room to another and can't seem to see all the fluff and kid crap collecting in the corners. When there's a draught it blows across the rooms like tumbleweed.

Thank Post
    Got to agree with Bossman, they've got a crappy job and generally don't get any thanks for it. I've got to say ours are pretty good, some will even shut down rooms full of PC's for me or retrieve bits and pieces of damaged computers etc. Maybe because I take the time to chat with them and always get them a tin of choccys at Christmas.
    What annoys me is the teachers who allow the kids to trash rooms and think it's ok to leave at the end of the day with the rooms full of litter, windows open, computers all left switched on etc because it's 'not their job'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Caveman View Post
    What annoys me is the teachers who allow the kids to trash rooms and think it's ok to leave at the end of the day with the rooms full of litter, windows open, computers all left switched on etc because it's 'not their job'
    Teachers can be worse than the kids. It used to frustrate me to see piles of dirty mugs, plates and bowls just left because 'its the cleaners job'. In the end the PO told them to stop clearing them, the next day the teachers came in to all this crap and told that the only way it was going to get cleaned up was if they did it themselves. Been a bit more respectful since then.

Thank Post
    I think its only fair you gripe, after all its the FFS section

Regardless of how much/little you get paid there is no excuse for doing a poor job.

there are useless gits in all professions including IT, and if they arent doing the job they should be told

If you comfronted me with CCTV of me working i would not be happy plus it wouldnt take long to watch

Thank Post
    We had cleaners start to steal things from our office. Started with the odd mars bar and biscuit from our fridge and ended up with a laptop. The cleaners do not have a key to our room anymore.

Thank Post
    Pretty good here, I can think of at least two who do take a pride in their work. If I'm still here when they're cleaning this area they ask to come in to clean, or depending on who it is I may get told to clear off (in a nice way!) for 5 minutes while they vacuum the floor! You can't see any worktops so there's no point in them doing them

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @Sirbendy:
    I don't think you follow my drift young man, I am not condoning what they do but it is the fact that we as professionals are actually stooping so low as to taking CCTV footage of cleaners supposedly not doing their work properly according to some of us.
    Does this mean we are experts in the field of cleaners and their work if so then we are in the wrong job.

I feel that if it were me who had the grievance of their environment not being as clean as they wished it to be, then I would take it up with their line manager or supervisor.

Thank Post
    Oh we have, believe me...we've had the head of BCS in here today.

The CCTV isn't set up for HER as such - it's been in 3 years, running 24/7 for the suites/teacher/equipment protection - it was part of our initial design... Since it runs 24/7, it gets her. Doing very little.

We've set up more little tests today..and the one in our office is due to things being a little moved about/knocked over/disturbed yesterday morning..which is a tad alarming. As to being experts in their field..no, but I know that cleaning involves wiping desks, picking up litter, and actually making use of the vacuum..otherwise the missus would have killed me by now..

Thank Post
    We have a great bunch of cleaners across the school, who all have a laugh and know everybody. They hoover all the floors, wipe the benches and keyboards. We tell them not to touch the TFT screens.

In the past they have been known to switch off computers / turn off projectors - they have been shown how to do it and don't mind doing it.

At the end of the term when all the staff go for a couple of drinks they can guarantee they get a drink off me for the work they do.

Thank Post
    Some of you are beginning to sound like bisley98. I suggest you follow the link to the TES forums and look through her posts before casting stones at others.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Sirbendy:
    I don't think you follow my drift young man, I am not condoning what they do but it is the fact that we as professionals are actually stooping so low as to taking CCTV footage of cleaners supposedly not doing their work properly according to some of us.
    Does this mean we are experts in the field of cleaners and their work if so then we are in the wrong job.

I feel that if it were me who had the grievance of their environment not being as clean as they wished it to be, then I would take it up with their line manager or supervisor.
    I wouldn't say he's stooping low. If you don't do what you're paid to do then I'm sure somebody would check to see what it is that you actually do or don't do as the case may be. With the cleaner being in so early in the morning it may not be possible to see her working and therefore CCTV is the only way to see what it is that she does or doesn't do. Nothing wrong with that I don't think. If she is paid to do a job and isn't doing it then somebody needs to talk to her and explain the concerns. Obviously that isn't Sirbendy's job though but before going to complain about somebody I think you need to have some sort of proof. He's not in at 5am in the morning I guess so CCTV is his proof and with that he can go and explain his concerns to the person responsible for managing the cleaners. I think cleaners have their duties explained to them when they start the job so they should know what it is that they have to do.

With regards to being experts, I think most people know how to hoover and dust as a lot of us do it at home and it isn't much different in school. Obviously just on a larger scale.

Got to agree with Bossman, they've got a crappy job and generally don't get any thanks for it.
    I always talk to the cleaners and have respect for them. Yes they may only be cleaners, as some people see it, but their job is not as easy as it looks and they have to do some horrible things.

Thank Post
    cleaner, what the hell is one of them! lol

we get one once a week to empty bins but we hoover ourselves!

Thank Post
    The cleaners here were OK before it got outsourced.. then all the foreigners came in who do the bare minimum (just enough to get away with)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    The cleaners here were OK before it got outsourced.. then all the foreigners came in who do the bare minimum (just enough to get away with)
    British workers lack skills and drive of east Europe's migrants, says study | UK news | The Guardian

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast