+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, views on printing past exam papers in General; ...
    Thank Post

views on printing past exam papers

Does your educational establishment allow pupils to print off exam PDF's
    I feel that it should be the department that teaches the subject that should make them available. (just as in the olden days where the department would get them photocopied and be charged)
    Now it seams to be a case where they place them on a public drive and get the pupils to print them off in ict suites etc!
    When i first started here we used to spend around £800 p/a on toners/drums, now you can double that figure! ( ict maintenance budget has not reflected that change!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We spend around £1000 a month on printer stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by projector1 View Post
    When i first started here we used to spend around £800 p/a on toners/drums, now you can double that figure! ( ict maintenance budget has not reflected that change!)
    I won't even tell you what we spend then, but it's a lot more than that! Luckily out SLT are reasonable about the money they give us, they put the brakes on any sort of print quota system, so we said you'll have to give us more money for consumables then, which they did.

And in answer to your question, staff can print off whatever they need to/want to in our school, same for students. Any sort of restrictions on this is seen by our SLT as distrupting the students education. I can sort of understand where they're coming from, but it does mean we end up changeing a hell of a lot of toner cartridges in the average week!

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 10th June 2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling!

Thank Post
    Glad your SLT gets involved in ICT based issues. I think i will ride the storm and let printing continue the way it does. We do use Pcounter for print management. However as much as i want the pupils to get the best possible grades, costs for running the IT side of the school have to maintained, school are own running infastructures that rival many commerce setups.

Thank Post
    The past papers my other half has been printing off lately are fine to a point but instead of being straight papers they have all the crop indicators and extraneous border rubbish around them which just wastes paper. She messed about for a bit and got what she needed without the clutter but that certainly doesn't help.

Thank Post
    We charge departments for toner changes and consumables so it doesnt bother us too much

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a complete nightmare at our school, i'm constantly telling them about it. According to one head of department it's cheaper then photocopying!?

We use print credits so i've been giving the kids the 3rd degree before topping them up.

Thank Post
    We spent approx. £25k on consumables for printers last year! Departments print off class sets of material on a regular basis.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Flipping . Woha! Thats a lot of money! I know we fairly go through some but I don't think its anywhere that bad.

Time to rein them in with that cost I'd say. Ours are getting scared with the threat of you will pay for black copying if you dont reduce the 8+ tonnes of paper we use a year!

Thank Post
    My teachers used to give me hundreds of these 'past exam papers', they went straight in my bag and never saw the light of day again until I binned them after the exams (This is going back a few years now!!)

Where I work at the moment it isn't so much of a problem as it is mainly non exam based courses, but when I was a student I always just used to go to the respective websites and view the exam papers, answer papers and examiner comments on screen.

Still passed everything

(Now should I print out the electronic copy of that MCSE book I've been reading )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread