+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Buying cars from Ebay in General; Has anyone got any experience with cars on ebay? I know my GF and I have looked at a few ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Buying cars from Ebay

Has anyone got any experience with cars on ebay?
    I know my GF and I have looked at a few (physically gone to inspect) and the people seemed legit, we just didn't like the cars in the end.
    But the GF has found a car she loves, at a REALLY low price (as in about 5k under normal prices). She emailed the seller who said a family emergency means they have to sell it quick. Downside is that it can't be viewed, and is delivered once payment is made. She's emailed ebay and they confirmed the seller is legit, and signed up to insurance stuff with them.
    I've done a check on the plate number, and came back as clear, not written off, imported, changed plates, etc. All other details match up with his ebay info.

I'm just a little apprehensive about not being about to see it before you've actually bought it.
    The payment has to go thru MoneyGram too.

Wotcha all think?

Thank Post
    Its the second biggest purchase your gonna make in your life, if you have the slightest doubt don't bother. I personally would want to see the car before I handed over any money.

Thank Post
    I bought a motorbike on ebay and scored an absolute bargain. You can usually go and view a vehicle advertised on ebay before the auction ends, it just depends on how far you want to travel. You may or may not get ripped off; that is one of the "joys" of ebay.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally, i wouldn't buy shoes online without being able to see, hold and try 'em on first, so i certainly wouldn't buy a car without being able to kick the tires, fiddle with the buttons, etc.

As mentioned, you may indeed get yourself a bargain though. Have to weigh up the risk i suppose.

Thank Post
    It all sounds a bit scary - hand over money and its yours but you can't come to see beforehand because it doesn't exist..... I mean because we have a family emergency and aren't in this country at the minute haha! (some of that is made up I know).

I tend not to spend more than a couple of hundred quid on cars, and buy new ones when the old ones burn out.

Therefore, if it was me, I would maybe go for it (as a couple of hundred isn't that bad) if I thought it was a bargain. Saying that, when you're shedding grands on a car I would trust my instincts and go to a reliable dealer - I wouldn't even buy private!

Remember (and this has been said many times before), if it sounds too good to be true.... it probably is!

Thank Post
    My parents brought a car off ebay 1 year ago, everything was fine with it. Make sure you can view it though!!!!!!

One of the others that i had my eye on was rusted through underneath!

Thank Post
    Don't touch with a bargepole. It's a well known scam using a hacked account. E-bay wouldn't have a clue if it was hacked until someone reported it, so they can't say it's legitimate or not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post

Wotcha all think?
    Isn't moneygram similar to western union, as in no insurance?

Don't think eBay would cover you on that would they?

Can you post the link to the auction?
    Last edited by flashsnaps; 9th June 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Definitely avoid it. Any payment methods other than Paypal or cash on collection through e-bay are a definite no. I'd be willing to bet you'll send your money, and get no car in return and no come back through e-bay or other insurance because of the payment method you used.

I would never buy a car without seeing it, If I were spending several thousend on a car, I'd be wanting an independant mechanical inspection on it.

Don't be tempted just because it's cheap!!

Mike.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    If you can't see the car beforehand - walk away and look for another - the too good to miss bargins are usually the dodgy ones.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Has anyone got any experience with cars on ebay?
    I know my GF and I have looked at a few (physically gone to inspect) and the people seemed legit, we just didn't like the cars in the end.
    But the GF has found a car she loves, at a REALLY low price (as in about 5k under normal prices). She emailed the seller who said a family emergency means they have to sell it quick. Downside is that it can't be viewed, and is delivered once payment is made. She's emailed ebay and they confirmed the seller is legit, and signed up to insurance stuff with them.
    I've done a check on the plate number, and came back as clear, not written off, imported, changed plates, etc. All other details match up with his ebay info.

I'm just a little apprehensive about not being about to see it before you've actually bought it.

Wotcha all think?
    5k under market price, can't view and payment by money transfer? About as honest as a 9 pound note, would you send someone thousands of pounds cash after looking at an ad in the paper? I would avoid like BSF

Nowt wrong with buying a car off ebay though, as long as you remember the usual car buying things of test drive, inspection, service history etc. Just because it's ebay doesn't make it any different than looking at a car at an actual car auction (you'd be better off there actually, some amazing bargains if you know your stuff)

Thank Post
    Post the ebay listing please? I want to see it!

Thank Post
    Don't care what eBay have said... AVOID!

They will not cover you for the purchase unless it's made through Paypal and even then the net is replete with stories about how even that hasn't been true.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have pointed out, it's a scam. Keep your money and don't be tempted.

The other eBay car scams doing the rounds at the moment are the 'bankers draft for more than you're selling your car' scam and a 'wad of counterfiet £20s for you car' scam....

....someone I know via the Freecycle network got stung that way - auctioned her car on eBay and ended up with no car and some useless bits of paper with Her Majesty on them.

Good site here:

http://www.safefromscams.co.uk/EBayAutoScams.html
    Last edited by tech_guy; 9th June 2008 at 02:27 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast