+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, *All change* in General; Originally Posted by Friez LOL for Irony? I don't know about Grommit, but THAT line from you *IS* trolling. If ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    LOL for Irony?

I don't know about Grommit, but THAT line from you *IS* trolling. If theres anything on here that can cause a really nasty reaction among the people on here it's about BSF and how its going to screw everyone over.
    lol

Moi!?

Trolling? I wouldn't know where to start ... I am just a young, naive lad trying to make his way in the world and occasionally making a comment that is taken out of context. Honest ;-) I still reckon that every forum / usenet user should have a read of the Anti-Trolling FAQ ... We used to have a pet troll over on uk.education.schools-it ... he was quite tame and extremely knowledgable and we all knew when he was trying to push buttons.

Thank Post
    I agree, this ain't about BSF, so let's not get into a debate. This is about Tony, new direction for him and congratulations!

With people like Tony having input at the higher levels in Northants, I'm sure it'll be a great LA to work in.

Just don't totally desert us! But once again, well done!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Congrats Tony! It sounds like a very good move to me, both for you and for your LA and LA Schools. I wish my LA had people like you involved at high levels!

Here - have a cool smilie on me!

I think maybe it's about time you left educational ICT Grommit - frankly your dissilousionment with the whole system and the way things are going is sad to see. Either embrace change and make the most of it (a'la Tony) or spend the rest of your life struggling to swim in a sea of bitterness and dissapointment - with no arm bands....

Butuz
    you're not wrong, tony really is making the most of it, presumably he's being 'released' for 12 months to undertake this better paid work, so how does that work then ? he get's disillusioned with working for the other side and returns to his similarly well paid SMT role at the school after 12 months ?

This really isn't a troll job, and i don't begrudge people making money and 'moving on' but it doesn't sound like moving on if you are being released for 12 months rather than taking on a permanent position with no opportunity of return to the school except through application for a new post ?

As i said, i don't begrudge the money or status, it's the fact too many people in LA/education want to hold on rather than make a clean break.

i'll not rain on your parade any longer tony, i've said what i think, and fwiw your a very bright individual who's impressed enough and shown to be competenet enough to do these dual roles, so good luck to you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Torledo
    Actually ... it is fair comment.

Yes, there is a wage increase, but it means that coming back to the school I would be more in line with the other members of senior managlement. It is rare for schools to have associate staff on SMT but we have 2. We are not on the same scale as those who are teachers and this puts us a step closer ... so we could say that it is actually trying to make the salaries fair.

Yes, it is for 12 months, but for those who know Northants at all, we are still in the middle of restructuring the departments,etc. The review started about 3 years ago working from ground up ... lots of council staff at risk. Finally someone saw sense as realised that they should start buggering about with the people on the ground, but sort it out at the top and get the vision, etc right first. Don't dump people to save money but start at the top to make sure the whole structure is right.

That is still going on so there is not a permanent post there (nor would I want one in these troubled times). They want me to set the job up ... I am happy to do this and understand that if I don't go in there and do it then it will not happen for some time. As someone in a school that scares the hell out of me and I don't have it in me to walk away from the stuff I have done so far.

I am not sure yet how successful the IT Managers' meetings are going to be long term as I am still struggling for stuff to get out to people. I am hoping that sharing good practice is going to be the best thing and helping communication.

Will I come back to the school? I want to ... there is lots of stuff here that I still want to do. I am realistic that I may come back for a short time and then move on, but that will be my choice. If I decide to come back to the school early then the pay rise goes and I will have to pick up projects here there and everywhere. After My head and my LA boss had their meeting (without me there) I did equate it to having my soul sold.

I am beginning to realise what I am getting into ... will learn to deal with it. I also have contact with a number of other members who have strong 'unofficial' ties into their LAs to get advice from. For me the important bit is keeping the strong relationships with schools going.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    Tony:
    congrats and don't listen to those who, in your position would like to be ( with envy).
    Good luck and have a happy life.

regards
    Bossman

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Good Luck to you Grumbledook! It sounds like an inteesting move you're making. Enjoy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post

I think maybe it's about time you left educational ICT Grommit - frankly your dissilousionment with the whole system and the way things are going is sad to see. Either embrace change and make the most of it (a'la Tony) or spend the rest of your life struggling to swim in a sea of bitterness and dissapointment - with no arm bands....

Butuz
    Dear Butuz....

I happen to respect Grumbledook and take on board his ideas and view points.... I have mine.... Just because I decide to poke him with a sharp stick doesn't mean I respect his opinions any less...

Yes I am dissilousioned with the whole BSF ICT policy ... I find it soul distroying.... the BSF will never understand on how we feel about our Networks and our sense of community within our schools...

Me I'm outta here in a few years and buying a pub in a warm place to sit at the end of the bar and chat the breeze with patrons :-)

Again... Congratulations Tony you smug bastard :-)
    Last edited by Grommit; 6th June 2008 at 01:03 PM.

Thank Post
    All the best with it Tony...

Taking a wider view it's nice to know there may be scope in the future for NM's to move into LA posts - lack of career progression is a major problem in educational ICT IMO. The more of us who have actually worked with ICT in schools who can get into postions where decisions are made the better. That way we might actually have some influence over issues like staffing, pay and BSF.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    I'll have you know I used to carry around my birth certificate so when some gobby oik of a recruit would call me a bar steward I had proof that it wasn't all natural. I have to work hard to be this much of a bar steward!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    All the best with it Tony...

Taking a wider view it's nice to know there may be scope in the future for NM's to move into LA posts - lack of career progression is a major problem in educational ICT IMO. The more of us who have actually worked with ICT in schools who can get into postions where decisions are made the better. That way we might actually have some influence over issues like staffing, pay and BSF.
    That's a very good point! I, like a lot of others here, have a good moan about our LA and ICT policies, if us on the ground can get into the LA and have an input or even influence, on the way things are done then that has to be a good thing! Especially for you guys going through BSF

Congrats Tony

Thank Post
    Grumble who?

Seriously - congratulations Tony

Thank Post
    Congrats on the move Tony, sounds like a real oppotunity to do some good, so all the best

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Dear Butuz....

I happen to respect Grumbledook and take on board his ideas and view points.... I have mine.... Just because I decide to poke him with a sharp stick doesn't mean I respect his opinions any less...

Yes I am dissilousioned with the whole BSF ICT policy ... I find it soul distroying.... the BSF will never understand on how we feel about our Networks and our sense of community within our schools...

Me I'm outta here in a few years and buying a pub in a warm place to sit at the end of the bar and chat the breeze with patrons :-)

Fair enough

Oh and mines a pint of Abbot/Spitfire/Pedigree please landlord

Butuz

Thank Post
    Congrats Tony, enjoy it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Congrats Tony, have fun with the LEA

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12