+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, XP Pro pulls a dissapearing act in General; Well, from looking at sites like Dell, Dabs, HP, EBM, Lenovo and Ramesys, it appears that XP Pro is well ...
    Thank Post

XP Pro pulls a dissapearing act

Well, from looking at sites like Dell, Dabs, HP, EBM, Lenovo and Ramesys, it appears that XP Pro is well and truely gone

No pre-install options for it, no downgrade options to it, no licenses being sold for it...

anyone seen it anywhere lately?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 5th June 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Stone computers still ship with XP

Thank Post
    Just seen a Vostro 200 ST on the website with an OS choice of...

"Genuine Windows® Vista™ Business with XP Professional installed and Vista Media - English [add £40.00]
    - For those requiring Windows ® XP Professional now and the option to install Windows Vista in the future"

and a Latitude D530 has...

"English - (Downgrade) Genuine Windows Vista ™ Business 32Bit SP1 to XP Pro - with Media add £0.00"

...but you are right, XP Pro is getting very scarce

mb

Thank Post
    HP 6720s's come with XP Upgrade disks (cannot really call it a downgrade can you )

Thank Post
    We still supply it

7. Thanks to Elky from:

Pete10141748 (6th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just out of interest, how does a VLK work. Im sure we have a XP Pro VLK even though we buy our workstations with OEM XP Pro.

Can we use our VLK to put XP on any future workstations?

Thank Post
    I've seen it on a handful of dells recently but does look like soon they will all be Vista... oh well will just have to wipe them and install XP instead.

Thank Post
    The news I heard from my fellow work mate is that M$ are (or have already - can't remember) pulling the plug on OEM installs of XP. I believe you can still buy a Vista machine with XP under downgrade rights (for the moment)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rreynolds24 View Post
    Just out of interest, how does a VLK work. Im sure we have a XP Pro VLK even though we buy our workstations with OEM XP Pro.

Can we use our VLK to put XP on any future workstations?
    If you buy 5 or more licences you can have a volume licence key and assuming you have the right media you can then install it freely on any PC up to the number of licences and over if your naughty! With a VLK you can buy 5x Vista and use the same key (well different but its backwards compatible) to install XP or 2k as you see fit instead.

That make sense?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think so.. I will need to check how many licenese our VLK allows for, because as far as Im aware it was just used to upgrade some older 98 machines to xp and everything else has been preinstalled.

so would 5 oem vista licenses with new machines allow for a VLK for XP be used?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    so would 5 oem vista licenses with new machines allow for a VLK for XP be used?
    Yes but you must still buy the VLK license

Thank Post
    If you buy machines with Vista business edition OEM licenses, then I believe you have a 'downgrade' right which allows you to use XP on them without purchasing any additional licences. This was taken from this document;

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rade_chart.doc

===============================

Q. Can I downgrade my OEM version of Microsoft Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Professional?
    A. Yes. OEM Downgrade Rights for desktop operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business & Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Vista Ultimate are limited to Microsoft Windows XP Professional (including Tablet PC Edition & x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), Retail (FPP), or System Builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium.

======================================

It doesn't matter what license key is actually used for the installation, as long as the case has the OEM license sticker on for Vista business or Ultimte then you'll be covered as I understand it.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 5th June 2008 at 06:28 PM.

Thank Post
    I've seen it on a handful of dells recently but does look like soon they will all be Vista... oh well will just have to wipe them and install XP instead.
    the problem I have with that is XP driver availability, how long / for what models, codecs for DVD drives, and the general uncertainty that the unit will still work 100% after Vista is wiped and XP is installed.

Oh well, at least a few places still have it for now if we're desperate

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information