+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Boycott BP & Esso in General; Well if anybody is interested here is the address Boycott BP & Esso Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ] ...

Thank Post

Boycott BP & Esso

Well if anybody is interested here is the address
    Boycott BP & Esso Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Just set that up - it may be no good at all but if you want to take part then get your name on and pass the address to family and friends.

It's just like all the past emails everyone has received before - the only difference being we can all see how many are actively taking part giving more motivation for others to follow suit rather than thinking they are the only ones doing it.

I know what some of you are saying but I live near no-one I work with so cannot car share. I need my transport so this seems the only way I can do my bit. It might not work at all, but what if it does? Surely it's worth planning where you next fill up to see if we can make a difference.

I live half a mile from a BP and there's an Esso on my way to work also - but that said it won't be too hard. What do BP offer anyway.... nectar points - whoop deee dooo!

Thank Post
    But BP and Esso only make a few pence on every litre. Its the govt. we need to be boycotting.

Thank Post
    Rather excellent chain email by a Shell employee there then...

Thank Post
    We are paying a lot of tax on petrol, but who are putting the prices up at the minute? Not the government, no tax rise on fuel till September.

It's the petrol stations we need to show.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    But BP and Esso only make a few pence on every litre. Its the govt. we need to be boycotting.
    The gov don't set oil prices though......
    If you are going to boycott something - how about opec ? They just sit on their arses all day counting their money.....

Thank Post
    Because if you could keep 5-10p off by September it will have been a worthwhile cause? That email has been doing the rounds for years.

Petrol forecourt price rises reflect rises in the costs of crude for whatever scaremongering has happened in the last few days. Doesn't change the fact that more than half of what you pay is fuel duty...

snopes.com: Gas Out

Thank Post
    From Wikipedia:

From 2007-10-01 the main road fuel (petrol and diesel) duty rate in the UK is GBP£0.5035 per litre. Value Added Tax (VAT), currently at 17.5%, is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty. At a pump price of 128.8p/litre (typical for diesel as at May 2008), this would put the combined tax at 69.53p/litre, or approximately USD$5.20 per US gallon. Thus without tax, the retail price would be 59.26p per litre, making a combined tax rate of 117%.

Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT.

What's the point just picking on BP and Esso?
    Many people already boycott Shell and others for ethical reasons...

Thank Post
    BP near me yesterday had no petrol left, all the pumps were out of action, I had to go to a cheaper petrol station..... what a shame

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    BP near me yesterday had no petrol left,
    We're all doomed!

Thank Post
    I have already taken action to save money...I have bought a bicycle.

With the amount of traffic on the roads in the morning and by using routes that cars can't my journey takes about 5-10 minutes longer by bike than by car.

At around £40 per week for petrol my bike will pay for itself in about 6 weeks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yer, i doubt boycotting those two will do much. Where do Tesco, Morrison's, Asda and Sainsbury get their petrol and diesel from?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    What's the point just picking on BP and Esso?
    My village used to have a local bus service and a county wide one that both ran the same routes.

The local bus charged £1.10 for a certain journey while the county wide one charged £2.00. The county wide service eventually had to drop it's prices to match the local service as people didn't mind waiting 20 minutes to catch the local bus.

My point is this - Boycott BP & Esso and they will have to lower prices to get customers back.

Rather excellent chain email by a Shell employee there then... ;-)
    Actually Shell and Esso are part of the same firm so Boycotting Esso is basically boycotting Shell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    My point is this - Boycott BP & Esso and they will have to lower prices to get customers back.
    No, BP and Esso will sell their excess petrol to other suppliers, so at the end of the day you're still buying the same petrol. Do you not think if this has been doing the rounds since 2001 and not made a jot of difference that it might be totally ineffective?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Why will they? The only reason petrol at Tescos/etc can be cheaper is because they make a loss on it to attract customers into the store.

If everyone in the country boycotted all the big names then yeah it would probably save us a few pence in the short term, but if we want to make a real saving we need to boycott the govt. Plus if you made all the big names cut their prices than all the small garages willl have to shut as they wont be able to make a loss

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    No, BP and Esso will sell their excess petrol to other suppliers, so at the end of the day you're still buying the same petrol. Do you not think if this has been doing the rounds since 2001 and not made a jot of difference that it might be totally ineffective?
    Hey man,

Don't start shouting your mouth off. I'm trying something here. Am I forcing you to sign up for this? Am I forcing you to try and help?

I think you'll find that my first post says "it may be no good at all BUT if you want..."

All I said was if you think it might help then go for it - I'm not preaching to anybody.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information