+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Boycott BP & Esso in General; I blame Hitler. Now go and listen to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' by The Who....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I blame Hitler.
    Now go and listen to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' by The Who.
    Last edited by mattx; 2nd June 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Why will they? The only reason petrol at Tescos/etc can be cheaper is because they make a loss on it to attract customers into the store.

If everyone in the country boycotted all the big names then yeah it would probably save us a few pence in the short term, but if we want to make a real saving we need to boycott the govt. Plus if you made all the big names cut their prices than all the small garages willl have to shut as they wont be able to make a loss
    If we want to make a big saving, we need to lobby for more research into alternatives! No matter what happens, oil is a finite resource and as such, as supply falls and demand rises, the price will rise also. It is the only way to reduce demand.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    we need to lobby for more research into alternatives!
    Yep.

But we already have perfectly good alternatives, they need abit more developement mind but we're nearly there. Only prblem is our govt. wont put money into it.

What i am talking about is nuclear power stations, and hydrogen/electric cars.

Thank Post
    BP near me yesterday had no petrol left
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    We're all doomed!
    Indeed - I remember watching the Mad Max films on TV when I was young, now it looks like we get to live it for real. Way cool!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Oh yeah, nuclear power stations - I'm guessing they'll do wonders for our carbon footprint.

Thank Post
    Yawn. Been here before as others have said.

I have no/little choice but to use the car. Bus takes an hour to do the 20 min car journey, and the last one home is 45 mins before I finish work.

14 mile journey, so possible on a bicycle, but my knees wouldn't take it any more. Can't move closer due to house price insanity, so I'm stuffed.

I could sell my daughter into white slavery I suppose...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I give you two camel. Ok, three. No more!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Yep.

But we already have perfectly good alternatives, they need abit more developement mind but we're nearly there. Only prblem is our govt. wont put money into it.

What i am talking about is nuclear power stations, and hydrogen/electric cars.
    I like the look of the space power array system that is now being talked about again. They reckon for a $1bn they could develop an example system, including the equipment to auto-build it in space. Seems like a good investment to me!!

Thank Post
    isn't it now 19% on diesel and 17% on petrol? I'm sure I read it's higher on diesel. It's all bloody silly. I do agree with some "it's all profiteering and greed" viewpoints though..once the fuel is delivered, the prices should be fixed until the next delivery...not go up every day..that's profiteering IMO.

OPEC are ..well...money grabbing sods, is a good summary. The government also - but from a lot of what I've been hearing, they're in financial poo..which I could believe..useless bunch of pillocks.

I've discovered a local bus from by my house (apparently) to outside this building by 8am, leaving at night by 4.53pm to be back by 5.30..it'd mean me leaving early (5.15 finish officially), but if I got here at 8, instead of my official 8.30 start - stuff it.

Reckoned to be about £40 for a monthly ticket...but damned if I know where I can get one..might give it a try for a weekly and see how I get on.

If it goes OK, I'll use it for work, and the car for the "special" days like trips to Civic offices, weekend shopping and family visits, and so on. Bearing in mind that most of the grind for the car is work journeys, and even then I managed to wring a 3 week tank out of £49, I reckon I'll extend a tank of fuel over..at least a month and a half.

Electric cars - yes. Most people do short journeys that are well within the capabilities of them. Or so it seems. Electric scooters also. There are even electric mountain bike conversions now, FFS..and you can get trailers and god knows what to bolt on.

A decent public transport system would be good..not just in cities like london and brum..

What we also need is to go backwards a bit...reduce our sprawl..bring back local shops, butchers, and so on...cut out the need to travel to get essentials..again, it seems we're quite well supplied where I live...there are a lot of local trades like that still that are in walking distance, and we're trying them out.

As to power...wind/solar/wave..come on, we're an ISLAND...lets play to our strengths there...OK, not so much solar, but it's still useable.. I bought a solar panel at the weekend, and a load of electronics to build battery chargers and LED light units etc..all good so far.

Heating...stuff oil and gas. Go back to woodburners and solid fuel...recycle as we do now, burn some as well..cuts landfill down. Surely we have the technology to "scrub" the chimney output? I'm sure power stations do it...? Or geothermal...our new facility will be entirely geothermal heated..and we'll have wind turbines and possibly solar as well. I can't wait to see it.

Nuclear - I'm not a fan of. It may be "safe", but...it doesn't fill me with confidence...didn't someone on here discuss this not so long back, and someone replied with the uses and ease of waste reprocessing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Yawn. Been here before as others have said.

I have no/little choice but to use the car. Bus takes an hour to do the 20 min car journey, and the last one home is 45 mins before I finish work.

14 mile journey, so possible on a bicycle, but my knees wouldn't take it any more. Can't move closer due to house price insanity, so I'm stuffed.

I could sell my daughter into white slavery I suppose...
    that last line belongs in a bird and fortune sketch for sure .....

someone else mentioned opec, i think this time it's not opec castrating the supply of crude but the insatiable demand for the black stuff from all over the world....only the saudi's can pump oil any faster, and broons announcements about expanding north sea operations are quite simply laughable, what was it 70,000 barrels a day extra ?....that's a drop in the ocean. North sea oil extraction is a cottage industry compared to output and reserves in the middle east.

targeting the car drivers and the way cars and other transport are made and used is probably a red herring, as the biggest demand/biggest users are surely going to be in the gas utilities, oil refinment and manufacturing rather than car and air travel.

But looking at the motor car.. i think it's going to take a huge jolt from govts. to force the car makers to actually speed up time to market of zero emission, non oil burning/petrol guzlling motor vehicles...i read an article from an experienced former supremo of a car manufacturer (lotus i think it was) who said the way that new cars are sold does not put sufficient pressure on car makers to innovate for production....if cars were leased to drivers from the manufactuer instead of sold it would put more onus on the car makers to make them more reliable, less costly to run, more efficent.

as for air travel, i don't know what the latest technologies are for powering jet engines, and i'm not even sure whether air travel is the problem. You've got airbus going in one direction for long haul and boeing going in completely the opposite direction, which one if either is a more efficient way of transporting people ?

i think both consumer and industrial reliance on natural gas is going to make that a very hard fuel to replace with an environmentally sustainable alternative....and ofcourse the amount of stuff made from oil is mind boggling. check out this old bit of info on oil in manufacturing and the effects on price of crud oil.

Tracing the Economic Effects of Oil Prices

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boycott BP garages - they're the ones having all the problems with people getting their credit cards cloned when they buy petrol. Their card systems have been cracked and all the criminal gangs know how to exploit the machines.

A friend of mine who's a copper has investigated two cases in the Warwickshire / Leicestershire area and he advises everybody now to pay for petrol at BP garages using cash only.

Thank Post
    There are only seven years oil reserves left at the current rate of consumption, so you can't blame OPEC for trying to cash in now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    There are only seven years oil reserves left at the current rate of consumption, so you can't blame OPEC for trying to cash in now.
    it's not quite such an apocalyptic scenario, i think the figures vary but the saudi's alone have more like 80 years of reserves at current rate of consumption. But with the current rate of expansion of china, current rate of consumption isn't going to stay current for very long it's going to be exponential increases....

the US administration have questioned the saudi's capabiity to increase the rate of output using currently available methods, and with countries outside of opec hitting their peaks in terms of output, the world is reliant on opec nations as a whole to increase the number of barrels. New exploration is going to sought in the mid-term for countries like the US....and that brings up the question of antartica.

But certainly, something needs to be done to remove the developed worlds reliance on oil within the next 30 years. Middle eastern oil reserves would still be be able to supply oil as a propotion of the worlds energy needs, but we can't be as dependant as we are at the moment.

i think the issue of global warming and the finite oil reserves will combine to force action to be taken on sustainable sources of energy to drive manufacturing over the next couple of decades. oil companies setting up shop in antarctica and seeking out other areas with untapped resources is not going to be the answer.

it's a change that needs to happen within a generation or two, it doesn't help matters that the country that can do most to lead on cimate change technological development of renewables is such a heavy user of fossil fuels.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information