+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My CV's been circulated... in General; I've just had a call from GCap media, who are responsible for a fair few 'commercial' radio stations up and ...

Thank Post

My CV's been circulated...

I've just had a call from GCap media, who are responsible for a fair few 'commercial' radio stations up and down the country, and who have an IT Support position available here in MK (my CV was spotted online and then circulated to them).

The job involves travelling from Leicester to Watford, and Milton Keynes to Peterborough (that's, what, 40-50miles each way), providing IT Support to the radio stations.

That's the spiel, the inners doesn't make it sound so grand:

On call (no additional pay) one week in four, 1st, 2nd, 3rdline support, on the telephone and in person. Short timescales and deadlines and the additional strain of project work on top, as well as the need for learning bespoke applications on the job and through self-study,

The good bits:
    Company car, mobile, laptop. Erm...

Moving into a totally different environment worries me - whilst I'm used to providing desktop support (I've been in a Windows desktop style environment for 3 years), it's the new technologies that I'm a bit more fearful of. The 50-strong team has one woman (two if I'm there), and I was asked how I felt about working in a male-dominated team (my response was: "IT in general is male dominated, I worked in a team with a 30:1 ratio of men to women!")...

The salary? Well, I've asked £19k...(it was advertised 18-21), they drew their breath in at that!! (probs because I have no specific qualifications)

Maybe I'm too comfortable in my slightly relaxed atmosphere at school, but something's niggling me to not follow this up. I had a 30min telephone interview ("it's not an interview" said they, interview-like Qs were asked of me!) earlier tonight, to be followed with an assessment afternoon in a week or so.

I think that the short deadlines and media-related technologies that I have no knowledge of scare me somewhat... and although I am in a sticky situation with my NM at the moment and not receiving backup from the SMT, I do enjoy my job...

Any thoughts??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: My CV's been circulated...

Sounds great! Do they have VPNs or use remote access for quick fixes?

I know what you mean. You do get too comfortable. Means you can stick it out until something really good comes along. This does sound good but then you know what you feel about it. Make them grovel a bit i would. After all you do know your stuff. Give em grief and make them come to you. If you get it after that you can be syre you'll have a nice relationship from the off.

If they don't make a move - grovel anyway just to see if you get an offer - just to give your place a wake up call - I recon they need it.

Good luck.

Thank Post

Pretty much VPN, but there's the possibility that one would have to get up at 3am when on call and drive 50odd miles to Leicester.

If anyone else is interested for that salary and can get to MK (they want the job based out of Milton Keynes), I can put you in touch with the head of the team there for consideration. After much deliberation last night, I've decided that the money's not enough for the job, and I've been there and done the travelling around the UK enough, not particularly enamoured to do it again...!

Thank Post

I would agree that for that much its not worth it being on call and all that :?

Thank Post

Go for the interview and make sure your current line manager knows that you are

May be worth going just for the additional experience for something that really does take your fancy later on

Difficult desision to make. I would wait and see what the next month brings, during which you get to be 'BOSS MAN'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

my own thing like said go for itnerview and then if dont want to do it decline it...

it will put wind up the place you are at moment just keeps them ont here toes...

well if got job could of brought you drink when you down in sunny old leicester

out of interest which site did they see your cv on..

russ

Thank Post

I'm not sure, I'm registered with both Monster and Reed, through which my CV is searchable... I think it was Reed as I've since seen the job ad'd there...

Just been really nice and given the personnel bod here a heads-up on the situation. As I kinda hoped, they asked how much money would "fix it"!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Just been really nice and given the personnel bod here a heads-up on the situation. As I kinda hoped, they asked how much money would "fix it"!
    Looks as if they really care about you at your place

Thank Post

it's a hard one to call - they do in some ways and they don't (in that they seem to be oblivious to discipline where the NM is concerned)... but then again, they did co-erce me (ahem, headhunt) me from another school.... so you'd think it'd be in their interests to look after me!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well next time we're advertising we'll let you know!

At least I'm not a complete git (Close most of the time just ask Maladict on here!) Though I do like to surf though lol

We do have problems with desktops and daft software but judging from the stuff you have to put up with I'd go for it then if you get offered hold them to ransom something along the lines of readvertsing the NM post then you can turn the tables on him!

Wes

Thank Post

without wanting to be 'nosy', 19k is not a great deal of money. without mentioning figures, are you earning significantly more or less at the moment?

Thank Post

Not significantly less, but less (I have no qualms about disclosing my salary of 18k). The GCap Media lot see the car as a 'salary extra' (I asked about taking the money instead of the car but that isn't possible).

I've decided that I definitely don't want it - how many extra unpaid hours will I need to do if the M1's jammed (a frequent occurrence). I don't doubt that they'd be a fantastic company, but I would want to be on at least 23-25k doing that sort of job, personally...

Thank Post

given your honesty, it would be bad manners for me not to disclose mine: a smidge under £16K, managing four/five schools. essentially, being screwed in the proverbial...but hey, it's a good life (not). :>)

Thank Post

It really doesn't sound worth it really. I mean the company car will cost you an arm an a leg in tax, so they'd have to pay you a lot more than 19k as you say just to make it a worth while move for you.

I did like the idea of forcing them to re-advertise the NM post though i wonder what they'd think of that, go down like a house on fire i imagine...

Like everyone said though, doesn't hurt to go to an interview and worry some people where you work...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information