+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My CV's been circulated... in General; Originally Posted by wesleyw My question is do they believe that we ignore broken computers hoping they'll go away? I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: My CV's been circulated...

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    My question is do they believe that we ignore broken computers hoping they'll go away? I personally wouldn't want it hanging over my head for 3 years!
    I think that teachers feel we must have some psychic link with computers. I've lost time of the amount of times a teacher has walked up to me and said "PCs x, y and z in room j are down and have been for three weeks. When are you doing something about it?" and that being the first I've heard about it. It hasn't been so bad since the reception helpdesk got set up but it still happens.

Thank Post

My personal fave (for anyone doing onsite support) is the printer ran out of ink so I haven't been able to print anything for 2 weeks. You usually get told this as your on your way out of the building.

Depending on how I feel they usually get directions to where the ink is kept. Which is usually in a locked cupboard no one has the keys to after the admin staff have disapeared.

Another good one is the powerlead that has been out if the back of the base unit for 2 weeks that nobody thought to check.

Thank Post

Not wishing to derail the thread too much, but people moaning about stuff not working without telling me gets on my nerves. The best bit was when the staff moaned when I wanted to do maintenance on the servers in the HOLIDAYS. After this:
    Code:
    \\agamemnon has been up for: 198 day(s), 0 hour(s), 9 minute(s), 48 second(s)
    \\pegasus has been up for: 121 day(s), 2 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 47 second(s)
    \\hades has been up for: 121 day(s), 2 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 52 second(s)
    \\cerberus has been up for: 121 day(s), 2 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 15 second(s)
    \\Nemesis has been up for: 121 day(s), 2 hour(s), 2 minute(s), 1 second(s)
    \\ilibra has been up for: 50 day(s), 1 hour(s), 47 minute(s), 2 second(s)
    Agamemnon was the DC, DNS, DHCP, Fileserver and AntiVirus at the time. You can't please some people whatever you do!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@DMcCoy: Uptimes to be proud of! Our Windows 2000 curric servers never manage more than 2 months (NM sometimes reboots to "clear out the cobwebs") - and our second DC only manages a week as the event view contains this once a week (on average) "previous system shutdown at 05:02 was unexpected". But the (linux) email server has been up 166 days as I type

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    I have heard of one teacher in a school complaining that over the past three years their computers have never worked and the IT NM was at fault where upon the current NM said "I've only been here 1 year and they don't work because the servers are off at present" which they replied "I haven't seen anything about it!", the NM said "It has been on the notice board for 8 weeks!" "well I'll talk to the govenors about it!" , "go ahead" said the NM, "I already discussed it several times with them and told them I would be putting up notices about the down time"

He went to check a while later and strangely it was in the bin at the top? Suspicious! I know that the other NM before him had made sure the computers worked but the teacher had been off for about 7 - 8 months and they had actually broken they where fixed by the current NM pretty quickly!
    Wes
    Yeah and i'm proud of it too. You just get fed up, especially when her main problem was the fact that she deleted all of her work before the summer holidays and i couldn't restore it.. Yes it's my fault that you deleted it?

Although all my constant arguing with and swearing at SMT members is going down a treat .

What was this thread about again? lol

Thank Post

Not bad for windows boxes All 2003

But the sysadmin deep down inside screams that it just means I haven't patched them :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I thought I'd keep you anonymous Snuffkins oh well!

Teachers can read this too lol! Not that your worried!

Wes

Thank Post

No your right, wouldn't be good to be scared of teachers. It's not all teachers that annoy me, there's quite a few i have a lot of time for, but it's the ones that ask the improbable and expect the impossible. There the ones that i lack respect for and cause me to shout at them .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

I started at my last place on a little under 11k ... and rose to the princely sum of £18.5k before moving on ... I was on a reasonable wage for an NM and now I have become Manglement I am on more (but not the same as an Assistant Head ... being a qualified teacher means that they can get over £15k more than me and maybe more for all I know!)

I have been in the position where I was asked to do x, y & z and told them I needed training ... and was told to buy the books to teach myself ... which I did ... and never got the money back (in fact had a big arguement with one of the deputies about it a few yeasr later) ... things didn't go 100% to plan and during OFSTED we had issues with the file server ... which was a Unix box at the time. The problem could have been fixed if we have kept up the software maintenance contract but the Principal decided it was a waste of money ... and so the server kept crashing ...

Because it was mentioned in the OFSTED report that the logon was too complex and things needed changing (but still given a glowing report btw) a firm of conslutants came in ... and they priced up a new file server / DC (W2K based) and said that they would set up a new domain ... They claimed they could link our webserver and proxy/content filtering servers and mail servers into it too (these were all very reliable Sun boxes) ... they also claimed to do the same with our Macs ...

We did the swap during the Xmas hols ... I say we because they set up the domain ... sort of ... we moved the data (they forgot that they could not move directly from the Unix file server otherwise it would lose the Mac resource forks) ... we set up the shares ... we set the permissions ... we integrated the unix boxes ... we found the fix for when they could not create the number of Mac shares needed (this was in OS8/9 days) ... in fact they came in a few days after they finished they came back in to report to the Principal what a good job they had done ... and we asked why we had found it infected with Nimda because it was not fully patched ... they ummed and arghed ... and said it must have been infected by a variant from one of our infected servers ... and we laughed ... and told them that it was the only one that had been infected.

We then started to use the import script to add a few more users that they had left, only to find that if we made any change to the GPOs it broke ... big time ... to the point of which certain things could only become usable if we made *all* users either domain admins or local admins on each workstation. The conslutants said that we had buggered it up and it was our problem. We had to manage with this for nearly 3 years ...

Just before I left I was starting on a rebuild of the domain (and moving to exchange) and my then boss continued on this with no problems ...

We could have saved ourselves a heap of work and grief if I (and others in the team) had been given the training asked for at the right time ... and if the Manglement had listened to us instead of a conslutant recommended by a "friend" of the Principal (actually one of the trustees ... )

Thank Post

Tony, that sounds very familiar. I have the same issues and problems trying to get the school to move away with baby steps from CSE. To deaf ears. Sounds like you did a good job though with what you had.

:-)

Thank Post

We moved away from CSE over the summer, but our domain is still called CSE... because *someone* couldn't be bothered to change it...

Thankfully, it's only a name...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Getting my current school to move away from the dreaded RM wasn't too difficult I don't think any of them are big supporters and of course when it comes to IT they listen to me, afterall thats my job!

A shock for a school though don't you think? lol

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Bad things happen when you change a domain name.. just as worse as re-nameing a boat/ship

Thank Post

I renamed our domain a while back and it was pretty painless. I did lots of prep and looked into all the problems but in the end it was a breeze

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Fairly lucky then, ChrisH I've just heard of a few stories of things going AWOL and GPOs not being applied properly... maybe MS fixed it.............? Nah :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information