+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My CV's been circulated... in General; If it was a competition as to who got paid the least, I'd probably win hands-down at £11k. Most technician ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: My CV's been circulated...

If it was a competition as to who got paid the least, I'd probably win hands-down at £11k. Most technician jobs seem to be advertised between £13k and £17k and I'd tend to agree with free4440273 in that £19k isn't much for that particular job (considering the travelling..) but by technican pay standards at the moment, £19k would be a good 37hpw, single-school job for a technician.

Thank Post

oh, so you are being screwed in the proverbial also??? fun it ain't...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by free4440273
    oh, so you are being screwed in the proverbial also??? fun it ain't...
    Oh absolutely... my starting salary in 2003 was even worse (by £2.5k). It's great when you hear the excuse "Your pay review application wasn't received in time for the committee meeting, but we are looking into it" and it's only a year later when you hear anything else about it

Thank Post

I agree that £19k isn't enough for that job (esp. tax considerations on the c/car), but would be a good techie salary - as a backup to the NM (and doing more than the monkey keyboard/mouse change). However, I pretty much do the NM stuff, my stuff and the monkey stuff, which is why I think I'm worth at least 20k to this school... question is, do they think that of me??

We shall see...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I agree that £19k isn't enough for that job (esp. tax considerations on the c/car), but would be a good techie salary - as a backup to the NM (and doing more than the monkey keyboard/mouse change). However, I pretty much do the NM stuff, my stuff and the monkey stuff, which is why I think I'm worth at least 20k to this school... question is, do they think that of me??
    You're looking at "Assistant Network Manager" for sure

All you can do is submit a pay review letter (just an A4 page) detailing the extra responsibilities you have already taken on-board or any big projects you have overseen (such as built/implemented a new server), how they've improved ICT and/or saved the school money. Your line manager may be able to help with this if he/she is on your side

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    If it was a competition as to who got paid the least, I'd probably win hands-down at £11k. Most technician jobs seem to be advertised between £13k and £17k and I'd tend to agree with free4440273 in that £19k isn't much for that particular job (considering the travelling..) but by technican pay standards at the moment, £19k would be a good 37hpw, single-school job for a technician.
    Soon to be beaten - we are advertising for a trainee technician and all they are paying the successful applicant is just over 10k - pro rata!

I'm surprised we even got any replies :?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    Soon to be beaten - we are advertising for a trainee technician and all they are paying the successful applicant is just over 10k - pro rata!

I'm surprised we even got any replies :?
    Hmmm... that's not much even thought it is trainee position :cry: I suppose that's how they got away with the £8k for me when I started but there's a lot of us getting a raw deal as regards to pay. Just like there's a standard NQT starting salary, there should be a similar one for support staff.

Thank Post

>webman> plus it is 'term-time only' employment - so they can pay you even less, unlike teachers who have 14 weeks hols at full pay! fair?? don't even get me started...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by free4440273
    >webman> plus it is 'term-time only' employment - so they can pay you even less, unlike teachers who have 14 weeks hols at full pay! fair?? don't even get me started...
    Oh I know.. I'm as fustrated as you are. (Remember reading some of your TES forum posts... )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I won't say what I'm being paid then lol. I was on 12k when I worked for a local college as my first full time techie role so anywhere between 16k-18K isn't too bad at all depending on what pay scale you started on and how far you are along it now!

Most council when wanting to either A). Fire Someone, B). Demote them or C). Change job descriptions just readvertise the jobs and tell the current staff that to keep their job they'll have to re-interview.

In your position I'd have to either move job or tell them that the current NM is a complete t**t and needs to be removed and of course if he's gone to India now is the perfect time to show them what you do and what he doesn't!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@wesleyw: I didn't know they could legally re-advertise someone's job if it they're still in that role. 8O

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've got a colleague at another council whose job was re-advertised under a different job description you the the sort of thing this amount of time on the helpdesk per week etc whereas before it was more of an onsite engineer role. Not sure how they can get away with it! I know of a place that advertised for a new manager of IT which within the job description mentioned several things that the Sys Man already had in his which was sort of demoting him without actually being really blunt about it!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Unions should have something to say about it at least... wouldn't do that with a teacher though would they

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'd have thought the unions would have something to say as well. Your right though wouldn't do it to teachers!

But we are a throw-away commodity remember lol!

No one thinks about what you do while everything is running well but when the s**t hits the fan its always your fault! The fact that you might have told them this was going to happen if they didn't do Plan A and Plan B has nothing to do with it! Also when you say the servers will be offline during the first 3 weeks of summer while you relocate or rebuild them etc.. they still complain about coming in in the first few days and say why doesn't this work! (This hasn't happened at my current place because these guys know how to treat the associate staff!)

I have heard of one teacher in a school complaining that over the past three years their computers have never worked and the IT NM was at fault where upon the current NM said "I've only been here 1 year and they don't work because the servers are off at present" which they replied "I haven't seen anything about it!", the NM said "It has been on the notice board for 8 weeks!" "well I'll talk to the govenors about it!" , "go ahead" said the NM, "I already discussed it several times with them and told them I would be putting up notices about the down time"

He went to check a while later and strangely it was in the bin at the top? Suspicious! I know that the other NM before him had made sure the computers worked but the teacher had been off for about 7 - 8 months and they had actually broken they where fixed by the current NM pretty quickly!

(Wesleyw: I wish I'd had been there to see it!)

My question is do they believe that we ignore broken computers hoping they'll go away? I personally wouldn't want it hanging over my head for 3 years!

Bloody stupid some people can be and downright rude in a lot of cases, I love to see someone like that brought down a peg.

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hehe, I agree with everything you say wesleyw, quite true. Everything we do is transparent until something's broken - and they think that's all we're there for. They don't consider all the updates and preventative maintenance that we do behind the closed, office door (or open door to cool the server room down if like a lot of us, don't have any air conditioning). They think we sit drinking coffee and playing games waiting for the phone to ring. Grrrrr. Some schools don't know how good their network and the associated IT support personnel actually are until the network goes down or the support people find a better job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information