+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, IT Workers Are Getting Fatter in General; Tell me something I didn't know. From /. "While technologies such as virtualization, multi-threading, and blade servers have made the ...
    Thank Post

IT Workers Are Getting Fatter

Tell me something I didn't know.

From /.

"While technologies such as virtualization, multi-threading, and blade servers have made the data center leaner, those who work there are getting... well... not leaner. According to a new study by CareerBuilder.com, 34 percent of IT workers say they have gained more than ten pounds in their current jobs. And 16 percent say they've gained at least twice that. The culprits seem to be the stressful-yet-sedentary nature of tech work coupled with our famously poor eating habits. According to the survey, some 41 percent of IT workers eat out for lunch twice or more per week, making portion and calorie control difficult. Eleven percent buy their lunch out of a vending machine at least once a week."

Channel Insider Blog - Channel Chatter - IT Workers Weigh In on Health Habits

Slashdot | IT Workers Are Getting Fatter

Thank Post
    I've been in this job 8 years, and I've put on..maybe 1 stone. If that. Cynicism weighs nothing.

Thank Post
    Well, this IT Worker has just joined the gym, so with luck he should be getting leaner. Just got to crack the Coca-Cola and crisps habit now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    You need to work in my school - the server's on the second floor and the ICT suite on the ground floor.

We have 4 buildings arranged on a steep hill... what you need is always in a different building. It's an absolute s*d if you get down to the Prep-school building and realise you've left something by the server! A long up-hill hike and up two flights of stairs! I definitely find it harder after the long summer holiday!

Thank Post
    When I first started this job 7 or 8 years ago I was lean, then I got a bit bigger
    I am now on a diet & have lost about 1.5 stone, so heading for leaner again.

Thank Post
    Yep I've put on weight......... First school I worked in I was the only tech and spent most of the day walking around. In the present school with two of us, and remote tools, I spend most of the day sat down.

Time to dust of the rowing machine and lose a few pounds.........

Thank Post
    I'm now so fat, i'm expecting a call from lucien freud any minute....

"fat IT worker hunched over his desk eating a packet of ready salted from the vending machine"....

20 million ONO

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I'm now so fat, i'm expecting a call from lucien freud any minute....
    If you'll just step behind this screen and remove your clothes sir...

"fat IT worker hunched over his desk eating a packet of ready salted from the vending machine"....

20 million ONO
    There's your problem. A vending machine holds a heck of a lot of crisps compared to a packet.

Thank Post
    Had an active support role then i moved into schools, i move around quite a bit but still put on weight due to keeping the same diet. Cut down on the snacks a year ago and am now back down to 11 stone.
    So many IT roles just involve sitting all day so it's so hard to keep a steady weight, you need to spend allot of time in the gym to get the kind of exercise you need after sitting down all day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

20 million ONO
    Classic

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I've lost weight since doing IT full time and thats with bring in remote management tools! I walk around 3 miles a day on an average wandering around day. The fizzy drink machine was removed a while ago under the be healthy motion Wasn't best pleased at that myself so its now coffee, tea and water rather than fizzy pop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I've lost weight since doing IT full time and thats with bring in remote management tools! I walk around 3 miles a day on an average wandering around day. The fizzy drink machine was removed a while ago under the be healthy motion Wasn't best pleased at that myself so its now coffee, tea and water rather than fizzy pop.
    That reminded me of my first day working in a school. At dinner I went to get myself a drink of Coke from the cafeteria. I was looked at like I'd got three heads!

Thank Post
    I blame LCD monitors

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    I blame LCD monitors
    I blame them for destroying my finances, I had (and still have) a very good quality Sony 19" CRT Screen was designed for Graphics Desingers, CAD etc so very high definition but my eyes spent all day at work on LCD and then coming home to the CRT was painful so it had to be retired I won't get rid of it as its still a great screen, never know my next job may be such a poor place I need a decent big screen to work on When I got rid of the Sony CRT I had to then get a pair of Sony LCD Screens, and they were very expensive got a pair of Sony X-Black TFTs and at the time the 1000:1 contrast ratio was the dogs danglies, fine now its not as good but hey they were amazing a few years ago

Thank Post
    been a gym user 5 years im a lean mean 13 stone machine

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information