+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, dating sites in General; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Ah ... but has she seen you face-to-face ... or merely your Night Elf hunter when ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Ah ... but has she seen you face-to-face ... or merely your Night Elf hunter when wearing your Epic Armour?!?
    It might shock you... but I am not one of the SmoothWall WoW players (they're mainly the soton office....) in fact, i barely play video games at all :'(

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    I had a friend once (female) who used a dating site. She had a number of "dates" and they all turned out to be psycho "Norman Bates" loosers who could only get dates by joining a dating site....

just sayin' thats all!
    You get those in real life as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    I had a friend once (female) who used a dating site. She had a number of "dates" and they all turned out to be psycho "Norman Bates" loosers who could only get dates by joining a dating site....

just sayin' thats all!
    oh aye thats a definite problem for females. Even the ones they only talk to are quite bad by all accocunts. However if you're a decent guy who doesnt a) ask them out after 2 seconds b)want to talk about sex all the time
    You're on to a winner!

Thank Post
    In this day and age, where people spend more time online than outside, I think it's a justified way of meeting someone.

Personally I've never, and would never, pay to join of these sites.
    But to those who do, fair play to ya.

Thank Post
    I paid for one once, total waste of time
    Plentyoffish is perfect, loads of people and totally free.

I havent found them to be all that great though. I thought Id do great on them since Im not really a stereotypical IT geek, but you have to work hard to keep someone you like interested, as theres so many more men than women there.
    I think my problem was that I didnt suggest meeting up soon enough...Id stay chatting to them for ages and they'd lose interest, which is fair enough, it is a dating site afterall.

Some of my friends have done well though. My flatmate met his girlfriend of 4 months on there.

Im lucky that in the last few weeks things have started to fall into place for me, so havent needed the site. 'Seeing' several different girls atm so its all good

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think my problem was that I didnt suggest meeting up soon enough...Id stay chatting to them for ages and they'd lose interest
    I had that problem too, except I'd loose interest, if they didnt.
    Other would seem more interesting at the time.

Seeing' several different girls atm
    woh you're like a superhero geek or something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a dating site as such; but I met my previous girlfriend through WhereAreYouNow.com. The distance (~40miles) was eventually an issue so didn't last too long. My present girlfriend is a friend of a friend, local, and is going well so far

I don't think dating sites is something I'd personally use in the future; perhaps a last resort if I was at a bit of a loose end. But I do agree that they are a modern, acceptable way to meet new people.

Thank Post

why use them ??

hi folks, although i have found dating sites to be rubbish i have found that the only thing that has really worked for me is :-

Alcohol and poor judgement

Thank Post
    The very thought of Internet dating quite frankly freaks me out.

I dunno, I guess I just like to know the person in real life before I make any kind of romantic advances or anything, the idea of picking a random person off the interweb and hoping for the best just seems surreal to me.

Met my girl at a bus stop when I was at uni and we've been together for over 6 years

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I dunno, I guess I just like to know the person in real life before I make any kind of romantic advances or anything
    well of course, sensible people treat a dating site simply as a way of finding/meeting people, if they seem interesting, meet them one or more times, then have a date or just be friends.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    The very thought of Internet dating quite frankly freaks me out.

I dunno, I guess I just like to know the person in real life before I make any kind of romantic advances or anything, the idea of picking a random person off the interweb and hoping for the best just seems surreal to me.
    But its exactly the same as meeting someone in a bar/at a bus stop/whatever - you're meeting a strange who you may or may not be compatible with, however with online dating you at least have a rough idea of whether you're likely to get on, which is an advantage in my eyes

Cant see whats so strange about it. Not as if only geeky girls are on there either!

Thank Post
    I used a dating site to meet my current girlfriend. We have been together 2 years now with no problems. Everything from the meet onwards has been going great.

I always found that the biggest problem with meeting women in bars/clubs/pubs or other public places is you just don't know who they are with, you could start chatting to some random woman and next minute you wake up in a&e. Its a harsh reality but I think dating someone you meet online is safer in many respects.

Thank Post

another bit

I'm glad things have worked out for some here, but to be honest joking aside i find that women :-

pretend to be looking for :-
    decent, honest, normal, loyal, funny etc

where they are actually looking for :-
    gorgeous, hunky, handsome etc.

the just dont want to appear to be as shallow as 'men', but are much worse in my opinion -lol

men on the other hand believe that by having one or more of the attributes that women PRETEND to be looking for, will actually result in then getting a relationship from someone gorgeous, sexy etc.

women dont get the fact that the guys that are 'gorgeous' etc, don't have any of the attributes they pretend to be looking for, and women will spend time looking 'for the one', only for a chain of disappointments, by 'players'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    I'm glad things have worked out for some here, but to be honest joking aside i find that women :-

pretend to be looking for :-
    decent, honest, normal, loyal, funny etc

where they are actually looking for :-
    gorgeous, hunky, handsome etc.

the just dont want to appear to be as shallow as 'men', but are much worse in my opinion -lol
    Whilst women have a tendency to say one thing and mean another doesnt mean they're doing it on purpose or are even aware of it.

Men have a habit of not knowing what they mean but saying stuff anyway. cos its "worse" to say nothing than the "wrong" thing.

people are attracted to (their idea of) gorgeous, hunky, handsome, intelligent etc. but it isnt a choice. It's chemicals and subconscious processes. Past partners tend not to convenienty fit into prescribed parameters. Give a person a profile and expect him to accurately define this attraction and its not gonna happen. Ontop of that people are much more certain over what they dont want as a result of past experiences. I suspect most people just say the opposite of what they dont want. It's lost on them, that stuff like honesty, actually we all want that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    women dont get the fact that the guys that are 'gorgeous' etc, don't have any of the attributes they pretend to be looking for, and women will spend time looking 'for the one', only for a chain of disappointments, by 'players'
    I think thats a bit of a broad statement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast