+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Just when I thought EMBC/ Synetrix couldnít get worse. Change in way you report probl in General; Just when I thought EMBC/ Synetrix couldn’t get worse. Change in way you report problems and get help “With effect ...
    Thank Post

Just when I thought EMBC/ Synetrix couldnít get worse. Change in way you report probl

Just when I thought EMBC/ Synetrix couldn’t get worse. Change in way you report problems and get help

“With effect from Monday 2nd June (i.e. immediately after the half-term break), the ICT Services Schools’ Service Desk will provide a single point of contact. This means that all issues will be reported to ICT Services and not to Synetrix directly.

One of the benefits of this new approach is that schools will no longer be asked to contact Synetrix if the Schools’ Service Desk is unable to resolve a request or problem. Instead, under the new arrangements, the Schools’ Service Desk will report the issue to Synetrix and will retain ownership until it has been resolved to the satisfaction of the school.

Synetrix support staff will still contact schools directly if necessary, however schools that contact the Synetrix Customer Service Centre after the half-term break will be asked to contact the ICT Services Schools’ Service Desk first on {REMOVED - ZH}.

This new approach represents a significant improvement as schools will have a single point of contact for all embc-related issues (including internet connections, e-mail and access to the Nottinghamshire Learning Network portal). “

I don’t see this as a significant improvement knowing how poor the ICT Services Schools/EDITare based on how they treated us over the years. Although I had a lot of problems with Synetrix at least they fix the problems and respond in a timely manner. We try and keep away from ICT Services as much as possible but are now forced to use them. Anyone else not looking forward to this change?
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 4th June 2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Please dont publish numbers

Thank Post
    The above is normal for us...always has been. It's not too bad - we're that autonomous anyway we rarely use the helpdesk.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we were told from the first day of synetrix that we were to call our normal contact and not synetrix directly. so yeah nothings changed there.
    maybe with less calls going to them they wont be pulling the plug on the internet every 5 minutes!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The idea is this ... some LAs have purchased 1st line support from EMBC / Synetrix. Some are providing it themselves and then escalating to EMBC where needed. These LAs have had some stuff being passed onto the Synetrix first line when it should go to 2nd line ... that seems to be resolved now and to stop tying up the synetrix helpdesk you shoudl use your own.

This gives those of us in LAs with the 1st line from Synetrix a better chance of being dealt with that bit quicker (calls updated on T2S sooner, proper escalation, etc).

Thank Post
    Chance would be a fine thing

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I donít see this as a significant improvement knowing how poor the ICT Services Schools/EDIT are. Although I had a lot of problems with Synetrix at least they fix the problems and respond in a timely manner. We try and keep away from ICT Services as much as possible but are now forced to use them. Anyone else not looking forward to this change?
    That's bordering on slander, Mods could this be removed?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well if thats the way your LA had decided to go then thats what you have to do.

Hopefully people will stick to this now, I understand that there has been a problem with people calling the helpdesk directly instead of their LA. I understand if people are frustrated with their LA but racking up calls with the 1st line helpdesk will cause problems for those of us who should be calling directly.

Thank Post
    It didnít mean it as slander it was personal opinion from how they have treated us and schools around us. Anyway I edited my post to make it clearer and sound less like possbile slander.

They have treated us very poorly and even without that, adding in an extra line of support is not an improvement. Instead of going to straight to Synetrix itís now to EDIT then to Synetrix which just adds more delay. I donít see how this is an improvement.

My concerns have been met so far. I rang up EDIT about Internet filtering times have stopped working and having different filtering during different parts of the day with Netsweeper. There response I donít know what youíre talking about, didnít know you can do that e.c.t So I have to spend time explaining how Netsweeper works. Then I have to explain the problem and then wait for them to speak to Synetrix. A process which took days now takes much longer. To make makers worse from experience I find EDIT doesnít even get back to you 50% of the time.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 4th June 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Thank Post
    I think its perfectly reasonable to vent ones frustrations. - Had names been used I'd have been more concerned.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just out of interest, do you have a SLA with EDIT and/or Synetrix?

Thank Post
    We have the platinum plus support contract with EDIT I believe. No idea how it stands with Synetrix or if we have any agreements. Originally I went to EDIT and they told me to go directly to Synetrix.

Thank Post
    I think to say EDIT (we're no longer called that) have given you a bad service is unfair Pottsey. I believe you thought you had a bad service from one person in particular so to label us all under the same umbrella is not really cricket – even then that was to go onto our AD infrastructure at a cost to US!, to which might I add that the school had agreed and only part way through the install did you raise any concerns. We dutifully rolled what we had done back and awaited the outcome. Now I could understand that you had concerns about going on the AD as you wanted to remain as autonomous as possible – fair enough – but even when you were offered alternatives none of them were taken up. As a consequence you now have a decent server box sat switched off doing bugger all!

Your network sucks – mini hubs hanging off everywhere, a hub in the main cab, you’re running 2003 server on an old hp pc connected to one of those hubs. Money and finances are not an excuse, just speak to the head at John Davies. Which brings me to another of your points.

I take exception to you speaking for other schools, and none of the schools I visit feel the same way you do Pottsey. If you want a list of schools I visit I will be more than happy to oblige when I see you in 2 weeks.

You are not forced to use all of our services, yet you still buy back at the second highest level year after year - why is that? Surely if we offered such a poor service you would only opt for the most basic options?

I really feel disappointed you have slagged us off like this, and didn’t even mention it yesterday when I was there.

Thank Post
    It appears that this thread has opened up a can of worms here in notts.

Pottsey, perhaps we need to have a chat about your specific concerns and grievances.

For the record, I have no issues with public debate, in fact it can be healthy for all concerned. But, your post is very one sided and doesn't present a fair and reasoned argument.

pvtBanner comes and works with you every 2 weeks - did you not think to mention this to him?

I know we have issues regarding embc but all concerned are working damned hard to rectify this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok folks ... a PM is going to Pottsey, fatnhairy and pvtbanner.

If people have an issue with their LA support or contracted support then fine, canvas opinions from other members (especially those local to you) and give it as *constructive* feedback. Pottsey has not gone over the top here but things could be explained a bit better.

fatnhairy / pvtbanner ... it is fairly obvious that you are part of the LA team that Pottsey has issue with. Whilst we are more than happy to have LA members here when you are responding to one of your schools then please make it obvious who you are and why you are responding. Otherwise it looks like a slanging match.

If people are not happy with their LA then use your SLAs to hold them accountable. Remember that you are paying for a service. If the LA team are not up to speed with what they need to support you on then yes, take it up the chain. It may be that only a small proportion of staff need additional training to support you, it may be a larger issue ... that is what SLAs are for.

And for a final notice ... if you are in an LA that has first line support with your LA then the LA will deal with it and go to the relevant section of second or third line when needed. Going straight to first line yourself ties it up for those LAs that need it themselves! This has been an issue but LAs and Synetrix / EMBC have spoken about this and are resolving it.

Thank Post
    No it’s not just one event. Just getting fed up sending emails, ringing up and getting no response amoung other problems like the one before the holiday. A lot of my calls and emails seemed to drop off the radar and I have to ring up to see what’s going on.

“Your network sucks – mini hubs hanging off everywhere, a hub in the main cab, you’re running 2003 server on an old hp pc connected to one of those hubs. Money and finances are not an excuse, just speak to the head at John Davies. Which brings me to another of your points.”
    I know it’s not ideal but it works, the system is fast and works so I don’t think it’s fair to say it sucks. Still there are more switches then what’s ideal. We have 6 small switches’ all of which will be gone soon if everything goes to plan.

As you know £20,000+ is way out the price range of a small 70 pupil school like us. Luckily it’s all being fixed for a much more reasonable price.

“I take exception to you speaking for other schools, and none of the schools I visit feel the same way you do Pottsey. If you want a list of schools I visit I will be more than happy to oblige when I see you in 2 weeks.”
    No need, I know your good and it wouldn’t surprise me if your other schools you go to are ok. I apologise for sounding like all edit are bad. It was a bad few weeks when I made the first post (please check the date) and I shouldn’t have posted in the way I did. I have no complaints about you or your work. Though I still have problems with other areas not to do with you directly.

“I really feel disappointed you have slagged us off like this, and didn’t even mention it yesterday when I was there.”
    I didn’t mention it yesterday as I forgot I made that post as it was made weeks back, during a stressful week. I don’t think it was you who came in for the problems was it during the last 2 weeks of team? If not it will make sense next time I see you and explain it.

I don’t have a problem with your area of EDIT your helpful. But still my first post was more negative then it should have been.

“You are not forced to use all of our services, yet you still buy back at the second highest level year after year - why is that? Surely if we offered such a poor service you would only opt for the most basic options?”
    The guys in the workshop are great and so are most of you who come down to schools and you offer a Virus checker package that’s a good price. My post wasn’t very fair is coming across as all of EDIT is bad. Sorry again.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 4th June 2008 at 01:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast