+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Harry Redknapp FA cup in General; I mentioned in a previous thread about how the FA cup has been devalued in recent years by the comments ...
    Thank Post

Harry Redknapp FA cup

I mentioned in a previous thread about how the FA cup has been devalued in recent years by the comments and attitudes of luminaries such as wenger and fergie....

well harry redknapp has come out and said pompey surviving in the premiershit a couple of seasons ago was a bigger achievement than winning the FA cup....now i know what harry means i think. That the money from competing in the premiership was vital to a club like pompey and the prospect of regular top league football for it's fans.

But this is still such a tired, cliched comment from redknapp. Bryan Robson talked about the importance of boro escaping relegation over winning the cup when they were in the final a few years ago, i believe in graeme souness said it on several occasions a few years back as a pundit and when he was manager at blackburn. It's already been said what is the point of him saying it again other than to make himself out to be a serious manager who worships sky and the premiership

Just shows that money talks and that managers and clubs have been blinded by the lure of sky's pieces silver....it's alright to say that financially the premier league is more important, but in footballing terms an FA cup is (or rathr used to be) by a mile the greatest achievement for an also-ran club like portsmouth....the idea that years of mediocrity in the most overrated league in the world versus real silverware is a greater footballing achivement is total garbage...

But is it any wonder that managers think like that when they see birmingham city fans shouting obsenities at the owners for not avoiding relegation - the fans are going loco so premiership survival must be more important than anything....and when the difference in tv money between the bottom premiership club and the winners of the team below must be around 20 million. Premieriship is this dull league of fat cats whose supporters turn into morons on football phone-ins and who are likely to earn even more as a collective from the next tv deal all because four teams are light years ahead of the rest in 'footbaling terms'. So give your FA cup medal back harry as you've got what you really want....years of being an average team avoiding relegation just like the other 15 average clubs in the league.

Also, now that you've won one devalued compettion in the FA cup you've got another even more devaued one in the UEFA cup to look forward to....welcome to matches on channel five agaisnt teams nobodys ever heard of harry. And look forward to an early exit, as UEFA cup will actually have some decent 5th placed teams and champions league rejects. Better than teams who were marginally better than Cardiff !!!!. Whoever wins the FA cup next year, expect the same champions league/staying up is more important blah blah blah from the manager.

One thing that hasn't helped the FA cup imo is the stadium....on the tv wembley could look like any of a dozen identikit stadiums acrosss europe, and the pitch and promixity of the stands are uncannily similar to millenium stadium in cardiff...it feels as if the FA cup is still at an interim venue and we're waiting for them to rebuild the old wembley to have a proper setting for the FA cup final....FA cup at the new wembley is so underwhelming they might as well play it at old trafford, emirates or cardiff as it makes no difference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Whats the FA Cup ?

Thank Post
    shouldnt you be ranting in the ffs lol or better...bbc 606?

Thank Post
    I kind of see what you're saying. Obviously survival in financial terms was much more vital than winning the cup. But considering Pompey havent exactly been in a relegation battle this season, Im not sure why he felt the need to say that, just enjoy the moment ffs.
    He should be delighted with winning it, since they obviously arnt going to win the league in the forseeable future, its the only silverware they're going to get

The premiership is a bit depressing for about 12 of the teams. OK it is a good league to watch and there genuinely are some surprise results at times, but overall you can predict fairly accurately who is going to finish where. Just fighting to stay up each season isnt really success is it?
    Like before the Prem, there were obviously teams like Liverpool who won the league more often than not, but you would still get the odd unexpected team winning it, and even since the Prem, in the first few years the top 4 was always different but as more money has come in, the 'big 4' have cemented their places. Its a bit boring.

Im a Reading fan, and obviously I was gutted we were relegated. But looking on the bright side, at least next season we can aim for more than just surviving, and have a chance of winning far more games and perhaps even challanging for the title. At least the Championship is pretty open...I mean who would have expected Stoke to go up this season.
    But then again, if you do well and go up, its just back to surviving again...

Oh and Wembley, I sort of agree. Its a quality stadium but it just doesnt seem right with the FA Cup. There was something iconic about seeing players lift the trophy at the old one, it is pretty much like the Millenium Stadium now. Although at least they still have to walk to the royal box I suppose

Thank Post
    it was the walk up those stairs to greet the royals etc when recieving the trophy. i gues its just showing how time is flying by and things change.

Thank Post
    I think Harry said that Pompy gaining promotion to the Premiership was a better feeling than winning the FA cup.

None the less - well done Harry and Portsmouth

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I kind of see what you're saying. Obviously survival in financial terms was much more vital than winning the cup. But considering Pompey havent exactly been in a relegation battle this season, Im not sure why he felt the need to say that, just enjoy the moment ffs.
    He should be delighted with winning it, since they obviously arnt going to win the league in the forseeable future, its the only silverware they're going to get

The premiership is a bit depressing for about 12 of the teams. OK it is a good league to watch and there genuinely are some surprise results at times, but overall you can predict fairly accurately who is going to finish where. Just fighting to stay up each season isnt really success is it?
    Like before the Prem, there were obviously teams like Liverpool who won the league more often than not, but you would still get the odd unexpected team winning it, and even since the Prem, in the first few years the top 4 was always different but as more money has come in, the 'big 4' have cemented their places. Its a bit boring.

Im a Reading fan, and obviously I was gutted we were relegated. But looking on the bright side, at least next season we can aim for more than just surviving, and have a chance of winning far more games and perhaps even challanging for the title. At least the Championship is pretty open...I mean who would have expected Stoke to go up this season.
    But then again, if you do well and go up, its just back to surviving again...

Oh and Wembley, I sort of agree. Its a quality stadium but it just doesnt seem right with the FA Cup. There was something iconic about seeing players lift the trophy at the old one, it is pretty much like the Millenium Stadium now. Although at least they still have to walk to the royal box I suppose
    agree with everything you've said, would just like to add that when liverpool were dominating and in the absence of european competition the FA cup and the league cup were huge competitions. I can still remember the stein brothers and little luton town getting to the league cup final, palace losing 9-0 to liverpool in the league and going on to beat them in the FA cup, and we had memorable FA cup semis and finals like coventry-spurs, forrest-spurs, wimbledon-liverpool. tbh other than the man-liverpool final where cantona scored the only goal about a dozen years ago i couldn't tell you who the finalists and winners were for the last 10 years...it's a total blur. All i can remember is di matteo scoring in the first minute for chelsea and owen scoring for liverpool at the millenium, other than that nothing stands out.

The di matteo goal i had forgotten about until recently.

Thank Post
    the 2 owen goals in the last few mins against arsenal..wow! i still remember when cantona scored against us in 96! i was only about 12!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread