General Chat Thread, Week of hell -> a nice ending in General; After a week with more FFS's than is possibly healthy for an individual I've finally seen it reach rock bottom ...
16th May 2008, 12:23 PM #1
Week of hell -> a nice ending
After a week with more FFS's than is possibly healthy for an individual I've finally seen it reach rock bottom and start to climb..
It was the week of:
- the oil sump being replaced after failing only to have the water pump die, be replaced and engine temps are still high after £400 of expense
- getting a numpty who didn't know the deal with schools at a well known internet computer supplies firm, thus blowing my carefully crafted purchasing schedule out of the water.
- trying to get Lego Digital Designer to repack for a school system (for a whole month!) only to discover something on the actual school network is causing the problem and not the repacked version
- finding a printer that's gone through 3 printheads isn't suffering because of the CIS kit but because the room is reaching 30 degrees+ and air con is drying the room and printheads out... But only finding this after printhead number 4 dies, less than 2 weeks after being fitted!
- having to deal with report assist for 3 very stressed, "SAT's are nearly here" headteachers (do I need to say more)
- ... and to cap it off spending 4 hours yesterday with Smoothwall 3 refusing to bridge via a modem that worked just fine with Smoothie 2.
So, I was braced for a really bad day today only to discover that a few things good have happened too:
- ebay sales for a few printer related things have been steadily climbing and I now have £180 of pocket money to pay some of the car stuff off
- getting a new contact at the same well known supplier and finding that my plans can still go ahead albeit a week delayed... *small victory dance*
- a K850 I bought for £21 (inc' postage) works just fine and just needed a new power supply *bargain!*
- my supplier has managed to get everything I need in and is sending stuff I've been waiting a month for... at last
- all but one component required for my new product line are in or due for delivery today
- my other half has two more interviews for head of department and she's actually feeing more confident for the first time in years...
It just makes me think that the whole pleasure/pain balance thing is there to make life more "interesting" but heck it's nice to be on the good side for a bit isn't it
16th May 2008, 09:17 PM #2
So your fault is this like mint advert and world balancing out my started good ended bad
16th May 2008, 10:31 PM #3
I feel your pain after our disastrous Exchange migration this week. That was more the fault of our local grid not changing things on their end though.
16th May 2008, 11:14 PM #4
How so? Was this a new Exchange and (presumably) you had umm.. hiccups with them doing the relaying in and out?
Originally Posted by bizzel
Guess this might have crossed your mind by now, but **wherever possible**, my strategy for seriously messing with school e-mail is to overlap i.e. the new system gets a new domain name (often a none sch.uk one they've already got) so they have both running in parallel for a while - admins can fully test and get up to speed with the new one, and switch when it's working perfectly and they're happy.
16th May 2008, 11:57 PM #5
with regards to the car - did you get the thermostat done and engine flushed? When I had the belt and head done I got the stat replaced as well for safety, and I blasted it all out with a hosepipe connected to the block, then did the forward and reverse flush of the heater...my god, did it shift some crud.
17th May 2008, 12:34 AM #6
That was the plan. Unfortunately, since our Grid is basically a team effort between NTL and RM, it was a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. RM did their part but NTL were 3 weeks late doing their bit, waiting for RM to do theirs!
Originally Posted by PiqueABoo
17th May 2008, 01:04 AM #7
When's my pleasure due then its alway seeming to be pain and negativeness for me
17th May 2008, 10:50 AM #8
17th May 2008, 11:29 AM #9
Must be your next door neighbour or someone you work with whose eating those low fat yoghurts for a laugh to see what happens to you and to test you lol.
Originally Posted by contink
17th May 2008, 09:24 PM #10
Last time I checked I wasn't ric or maybe I am has anyone seen us together...
18th May 2008, 01:12 AM #11
You see... your luck is just getting worse!!
Originally Posted by russdev
By Jimbo in forum Windows Vista
Last Post: 22nd April 2008, 11:15 PM
By flyinghaggis in forum Gaming
Last Post: 9th January 2008, 04:04 PM
By CyberNerd in forum IT News
Last Post: 9th October 2006, 07:10 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)