+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, VLE and Studywiz in General; ...

Thank Post

VLE and Studywiz

Hi Guys,

I was not sure where to put this post so here it is in the general chat. We are a small secondary school with approx 650 pupils on roll. I am NM and have been in post just a year. Prior to my starting we signed up for a free trial of Moodle hosted off site. This has been a disaster and has never taken off. We have come to the point where they are now asking for money. I thought we could bring Moodle in and host ourselves (cheap have no money). However we have a new Director of E learning starting in September and she is not keen on Moodle and she brings experience of a package called Studywiz. Again I was thinking of hosting in house and the costs for the first year will be approx £6000 with hardware and setup costs and then £2.75 per user after that.

Has anyone had any experience of Studywiz? I have looked at other very expensive VLE's and Sharepoint (also expensive and time intensive to setup). Has anyone got any suggestions? Staff here are slow to embrace technology as was demonstrated when we installed our mail server. We need something quick and easy for staff to use. I would appreciate your comments.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Haven't gone for it here (leadership balked at the price) but studywiz is a very good system.

Had extensive trials and use of it - and personally loved it. If we could have any VLE we'd put it in tomorrow (but are now going with county Uniservity.....grrrrr).

I'd say speak to Mike Damiano (sales manager) and get him to give you a demo and login for the demo site. Have a play.

The advantages of it being set up for you, and then remotely managed will be of great effect from the sound of your post.

However, as for staff using it - that will have to be driven. you can put in all the shiny toys you want, but without driving and guiding staff usage - it'll be ignored.

I'd suggest training up 3 or 4 'leaders' (people who you know are good with this kind of thing), and then let them start using it with classes.

When other teachers see or hear what's possible, they'll start asking, and wanting to be involved.

It'll be gradual, but it's better than trying to force them all into it

3. Thanks to Domino from:

laserblazer (15th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Our LEA has approved Studywiz, UniServity and MoodleDo. I'm going on a course next week where we will be told all about these. Presumably, they are nuch of a muchness pricewise?

Thank Post

Studywiz 9.3

We have been running Studywiz for about a year, to good effect.
    The staff have accepted that its here to stay and most are getting "into" it.

We're currently running Version 9.3, if your on an earlier version its worth going through to the "global community" and downloading some user manuals to find out what your missing or speak to your rep.

At the moment we are developing our plans for our studywiz portal, this would eventually provide a single sign on solution for email, vle(s), etc.
    Last edited by jfairbairn; 19th June 2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Vanity, just adding signature

Thank Post

WDS and PXE booting

Edit: This was supposed to be a new thread, sorry ops:

Thank Post
    Studywiz looks impressive! I think the interface of version 9.3 is very nice. I can't see any pricing on the website though, anyone got any figures?

Thank Post
    The lack of MIS integration seems a crucial omission in StudyWiz, they are not alone on this issue though.

StudyWiz seem keen to charge more for extra functionality (modules) we have been told that once MIS integration happens we'll have to buy the extra module.

If you're thinking of having them host your e-portfolios its worth speaking to them as the costs are high.

Choice of VLE isn't easy and convincing staff that they need to spend time learning/populating it will be an uphill task.

Thank Post

Studywiz 9.3

Studywiz prices will vary, between you, me and all the other forum users and without being too specific, we're around the £3,000 mark (we have approx 600 pupils on roll).

As was mentioned earlier they like to charge extra for each module. on the plus side they are quite flexible and you can do some deals,
    if you can develop good practice or create resources or enhance studywiz in such a way as to give them another marketable commodity,
    then you can barter for discounts/modules etc.

A word of caution though, there are always teething problems with each new deployment or module (as you may expect with anything really new),
    ensure that you have an emergency contact no. from them.
    on a more positive note their support is very good and problems are resolved quickly.

Thank Post
    We have studywiz, hosted internally here, since September.

It is a very impressive VLE and is different from the Sharepoint clones. MIS integration is lacking but is from most other VLE providers.

Support have been fantastic. Take-up by staff has been slow but as it is being written into their (pay dependant) targets it seems to be getting up a head of steam.

Thank Post
    I believe Oldham LEA have gone down the StudyWiz route.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    I believe Oldham LEA have gone down the StudyWiz route.
    Thats correct. There are some concerns about the cost to individual schools outside the LEA agreement.

Thank Post

Studywiz

Hi there
    Happy to give you a demo/intro to Studywiz. Person to contact is paul@etechgroup.com.au.
    Re the extra modules, Studywiz gives all the standard interactivity and modules, as part of the standard pricing, but Paul will be able to give you details.

There are a number of authorities using Studywiz who would give you references.

Stacks of info available on the website .. Studywiz - The World's Easiest Learning Platform, particularly the vids. Happy to share other case studies with you, just shout out.

Have fun

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information