+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Friendly Advice! - Windows SBS2 2003 in General; Hi guys! I'm sorry if this isn't really the place to ask! I spoke to one of the IT guys ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Friendly Advice! - Windows SBS2 2003

Hi guys!

I'm sorry if this isn't really the place to ask! I spoke to one of the IT guys at school who suggested posting on here!

Basically I'm after some advice, in my spare time (when I finally get some!) I volunteer at a community radio station, we currently have 11 computers (all running XP pro without users i.e. you switch the computer on and off you go!) on a peer to peer network. There have been a few problems recently with people moving files and different settings been changed and somebody has suggested purchasing a dedicated server and running Small Business Server 2003. I just wondered a) how easy it was to set up and manage and b) I don't quite understand about CALs?!

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    Depends on your budget as to what you can do, if Microsoft is the way you want to go forward. You may want to have a look at "Karoshi" server which will give you XP client facilities if money is questionable?

Karoshi Linux - Home

have fun and please don't hesitate to ask any questions however small you think they may be on this forum as members will be only too pleased to help.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, money is a slight issue, we're a registered charity and so obviously don't have unlimited funds!! The trustees are likely only going to go for a maximum of £1,500. For this they want to provide a "secure network" (this is coming from a group of trustees who still think floppy disks are the best thing since sliced bread!)

I'm looking for something that will provide each member a username and password and allows them to have a unique home area which only them and administrators can access.....

....I hope this all makes sense! I'm an English teacher who seems to have a bit of IT knowledge and the station have snapped me up!! Thanks again guys

Thank Post
    run.............
    hide.............

there's a teacher in our midst!

Thank Post
    HaHa yeah I'm afraid so! But a friendly one who understands how annoying we are normally! Sorry!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happyclown11 View Post
    Hi guys!

I'm sorry if this isn't really the place to ask! I spoke to one of the IT guys at school who suggested posting on here!

Basically I'm after some advice, in my spare time (when I finally get some!) I volunteer at a community radio station, we currently have 11 computers (all running XP pro without users i.e. you switch the computer on and off you go!) on a peer to peer network. There have been a few problems recently with people moving files and different settings been changed and somebody has suggested purchasing a dedicated server and running Small Business Server 2003. I just wondered a) how easy it was to set up and manage and b) I don't quite understand about CALs?!

Any advice would be gratefully received!
    IIRC you're looking at around £500 for SBS 2003 which comes with 5 CALs and then another 5 CALs would be around £250. If you could drop from 11 to 10 that would probably be best as I think you can only get them in bundles of 5. That would leave you £750 for the hardware, which should be okay... just shout if you want more info...

As for setup and use - should be pretty straight forward - buy a decent book on it and read up first is best...
    Last edited by Netman; 12th May 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Woha, first step, hate to say it but ignore the prices above, Education can get good pricing but I didn't realise myself but Charities can get amazing prices!

Ycan get SBS 2003 can be got at OEM with a new Server for £299 (plus server cost) or as your a registered charity register with Home | Charity Technology Exchange (CTX) and meet there requirements and that will give you it for peanuts if you qualify! (they have alsorts of good stuff including high end Cisco stuff and Cisco Managed Wifi ). I've registered a few local charitys, churches and I know my local community radio station has been accepted as I've used the software they have got via it for them. Windows XP is £4 a go and SBS 2003 Premium with 5 Cals and Software Assurance is £34, Office 2007 Pro is £10. Additional User or Device Cals (in 5 packs) are £10 per pack, and again include software assurance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,676 Posts
    Where are you? Perhaps one of us is near enough, and kind enough, to give you a hand!

Thank Post
    wow thanks John...will have a look into that! We're based in Wiltshire, halfway between Bath and Salisbury

Thank Post
    Microsoft have a free download called steady state that can be used to restrict access to control panel etc.

Thank Post
    I can't believe how much less charity licences are compared to education, but yeh i'd look into that if i was you.

Thank Post
    Small Business Server is really easy to set up - loads of wizards to set you up on the internet, create users (with email) and create shares for you. I can't remember if you get Outlook for free as well in Release 2 - you did in Release 1.

Charity's do get a lot of money off and you should do some research with suppliers.

SBS was the easist thing I ever installed and supported!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Yes you get Outlook licences as part of your SBS CALs and I'd agree with the simple setup, a child could do it.

Obviously those prices i showed are only avalable via that scheme and IF you meet the requirements on the program and they approve your order. Its rather limited as you can only place 2 orders in 2 years and only up to a max of 50 seats at a time etc (its a complex web designed to confuse I think!!!) but if your accepted I'd just do a big order all at once and the worse they do is reject it or say split it. I'd also at those prices maybe add a couple of spares on if you have the possibility of expanding with the limitation on gaining new licences.

Thank Post
    Ok Ladies & Gents, I'm back again I'm afraid!

Thank-you all for your wonderful advice! I have managed to purchase a copy of SBS 2003 along with apropriate CALs etc through the charity scheme (loads of money off!!)

We were also donated a brand new server with a 160GB hard drive and now has come the time to start the installation!

I'm having problems with this where by I get so (just past the first screen really) and then receive:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown etc etc!

Tech details:

STOP: 0x00000007b (0xF789EA94, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Am I doing something really wrong?!?!

Many Many Thanks!

Thank Post
    Sounds like a problem with your disk setup or RAID/SATA drivers on the server to me, the 0xF789EA94 error is quite often related to the disk system.

As it's a brand new server, the manufacturer should be able to provide some support over the phone, most will happily help you get supported operating systems functioning on their hardware, particularly as it's occured right out the box. I'd suggest giving them a call, they will be able to provide more specific advice relating to the model of server you have.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast