+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Friendly Advice! - Windows SBS2 2003 in General; IVe just noticed this thread. Our school is registered with charitable status, with a registered charity number. Would we qualify ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IVe just noticed this thread. Our school is registered with charitable status, with a registered charity number. Would we qualify for the charity costing of Licenses??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    IVe just noticed this thread. Our school is registered with charitable status, with a registered charity number. Would we qualify for the charity costing of Licenses??
    Afraid not, most eligibility criteria in organisations like Microsoft and Cisco etc. have a getout clause included for Educational premises.

E.g this is the blurb from microsoft.

* The following types of organisations are NOT eligible to receive Microsoft donations through this programme:

* Private Foundations
    * Governmental organisations or agencies including international governmental organisations and United Nations Entities
    * Educational Institutions – organisations eligible through Microsoft academic volume licensing programs are not eligible for software donations, including nonprofit private schools. . . . . . etc.
    Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah cheers, thought it would be to good to be true ;p

Thank Post
    HappyClown11 - Out of interest, have you received any kind of system recovery\re-installation disc with the new server?

It may be worth giving that a try if you’re keen to get it set up etc, especially as you have not yet set up/configured anything yet.

Keep us updated on progress!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    What make and model is the server? AS has been said I'd go for with RAID / Disk setup being an issue or lack of drivers / iffy drivers in the SBS 2003 Disk.

Thank Post
    Right...You guys must really hate me now but I promise this will be that last one....for now!!

I've finally got SBS 2003 installed and set up etc etc however I've now come to the stage of creating users. This is all easily done following the wizard etc. What I want to be able to do now is set the users up so that they do NOT have access to C:\ on the workstation and only have access to their own folders (which I was going to map to H and other folders I give them access to.

Apparently I need to do this in logon script? is this right? if so is it easy to do and if not...what DO i need to do it in?!

Thank you SO much everyone....you're just too darn good at it!

Thank Post
    I have never used SBS 2003, but if it is anything like Standard or Enterprise edition, then you can easily lock down the C: drive for a particular set of users using Active Directory. You will need to setup an organisational unit (OU) (or basically a 'special' folder in active directory with the restricted users within it). I would keep one adminstator user seperate from this organisational unit/folder. You can then add a group policy object (GPO) on this folder where you can setup (though special settings) to stop them gaining access to the C:\ Drive. You can also do loads of other things that lock down xp clients using just one GPO, including rolling out software, logon scripts, startup scripts etc etc etc, as well as mapping printers!!

I can find out what the GPO setting is if you like for the C: drive tommorow morning as I am at work (can't remember what it is off the top of my head). This by using GPO, you can affect hundreds of users at the click of a button. (usefull stuff in a school with 2000 users!).

HTH
    Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    This is more to help our regulars with SBS than direct help to you happyclown, Treat SBS as just like Server 2003 Standard. GPOs apply as normal, are made as normal etc. Only difference is that the GPO Manager Console is installed by default unlike on 2003.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12