+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Staffing of site supervisors, etc in General; This may sound like a bizarre ne but I am on the look out for a few schools to chat ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Staffing of site supervisors, etc

This may sound like a bizarre ne but I am on the look out for a few schools to chat with that may be using their site staff slightly differently to the usual 'caretaker' sort of thing.

To start with I am on the look out for schools that do their own benching, room remodelling ... the sort of stuff you would normally pay a furniture company or builder for ...

So .. basically a carpenter / joiner / brick-layer sort of thing.

Many schools this sort of person to save a fortune on capital projects and a comparison of figures might help a few things.

Thank Post
    2 of our site managers do this kind of thing - they bench rooms, partition class rooms, build walls etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    Not quite along the same lines, but we get all of our IT furniture custom built by a local company, along with the custom PC case which bolts on top.
    You're welcome to pop in to look at it sometime

Thank Post
    Ours do all that build walls, put benching in, move doors, and the electrics as well ,change consumer units, new sockets. We do the network cabling.

Thank Post
    We have two fantastic site engineers here (Ind. school). They do virtually everything, from painting to building. They bench rooms out for IT use and also do all our cable runs so I only have to terminate...
    As an example, recently there was a quote from an outside contractor to paint the external windows in one or our quads (there are 3 in total). They wanted £40,000. I expect the guys will have it done in 2 or 3 weeks in the summer so a massive saving there...
    Another example - I wanted a new fibre cable run through existing ducting - I didn't get a quote, but would expect it to be between £1,000 & £2,000 going on past experience. Bought a pre-terminated fibre and our chap had it in the next day - whole job was no more than £500...
    They must pay for themselves at least 4 or 5 times over every year I reckon, maybe even more....
    Bit similar to good network managers really :P

Thank Post
    Our guys are pretty similar. They do most things apart from electrical work and glazing. They have also just passed the test to do onsite pat testing.

Thank Post
    Not really what you are asking, but may be of interest.

The Local Government pay review is causing lots of aggro in relation to extra duties some caretakers currently undertake. In essence, for the sake of simplicity the LA want to lump all individuals in very different schools in "job families" and pay the same to all.

Problems arise when you have one guy in one school who does all the gardening, joinery and so on, and is currently paid a bit extra in recognition. At the appeal stage he is told he shouldn't be doing it and should pick up a phone and get contractors in for that sort of work.

Result is his wage will drop when the changes come in April 09 he will leave or work to rule, and the school will pay much more to get those kind of jobs done.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The site staff and basically the handy men and the caretakers all in one here. As for Desks in classrooms the old network manager fitted and built all ours from scratch.

Thank Post
    When I started at my current school we had two chaps, John & Pete, who were self employed but worked solely for our school and a couple of others. John retired recently, but Pete carries on. I don't want to go down the managed services route too far, but they knew the school and you didn't have to waste time showing them around, and they did a good job, which Pete continues to provide.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John has left? we has a nice guy. They told me they where called Bill & Ben at first like a fool i believed them at first

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    the old network manager fitted and built all ours from scratch.
    Goodness me!

Our site guys/caretakers here are also quite handy - basically anything electrical/carpentry/metal, they do it. Not that they do a dencent job mind, the whole place is falling apart

Thank Post
    In terms of electrical work, i'm assuming the caretakers need to be qualified electricians to do any sort of work within the school. Don't know what qualified electrician means these days....but i would imagine it stipulates 16th edition, time served/apprenticeship, and most important
    Electrical inspection and safety. Don't believe there are many caretakers who fulfill that criteria...

tbh to be on the safe side from a liability standpoint, i think it would probably best to get NICEIC approved contractors in for any kind of electrical work. It's the headteachers lookout they are the ones liable.
    Last edited by torledo; 7th May 2008 at 10:56 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread