+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, New Home - Bailiffs in General; Originally Posted by NickJones @ localzuk re. Harrassment Act. Does that also apply to people from AccuRead who turn up ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    @ localzuk re. Harrassment Act. Does that also apply to people from AccuRead who turn up trying to read an electricity meter which I have repeatedly told both them and the supplier no longer exists and doesn't relate to my property?

I have had 3 years of fun with that one - AccuRead say they can't discuss it because they are only there to read the meter, and the supplier won't talk to me because I'm not the account holder!
    Well... It depends if it is reasonable. The crime of Harassment is defined as:

Quote Originally Posted by OPSI
    1Prohibition of harassment
    (1)A person must not pursue a course of conduct—
    (a)which amounts to harassment of another, and
    (b)which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.
    (2)For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.
    (3)Subsection (1) does not apply to a course of conduct if the person who pursued it shows—
    (a)that it was pursued for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime,
    (b)that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or
    (c)that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.
    So, it is harassment unless, in this case, it can be described as reasonable. Your best bet is to send them a letter from a solicitor.

Thank Post
    Thanks Localzuk. Considering how many times I've tried to tell the supplier, I would no longer describe it as reasonable. Recently, I've taken to just saying something like "it isn't here, but there's no point discussing it since you don't work for Utility Company X" and refusing to let the meter reader in. This came after I invited them in once and spent 10 minutes discussing the situation with him before he told me that all he could feed back to Utility Company X was that I had refused to show him the meter!

Solicitor's letters here we come...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    So bailiffs are ok becuase you're dad was one for a while, and jcollings knows one or two.

As i said i'm sure they can do a good impression of being a normal person outside of they're 'job', but i would say the ones who use the 'softly softly we're here to help approach' are even worse. These people are trying to get money out of people, rightly or wrongly. They are cretins imo.

They're not there to help or to reassure the people who are being harrassed. There are plenty of jobs out there, some of it hard yakka, why not do one of a number of jobs rather than pester people for money.

I'll soften my stance and say that 99% of bailiffs and estate agents are scummers - the 1% are good enough people to realise they need to get out of the job/profession asap,

It's a very british attitude to say, 'oh but they're doing the job i'm sure there very nice people'. If i were on the receiving end of a telesales drone, or a team of bailifs playing good cop, bad cop or an estate agent who keeps ringing you up to try and get you interested in the properties that can't shift., i wouldn't give a monkeys about them doing they're job or if they're nice people...they are there to extort money out of people in most cases.

Gordon Brown is a loving father and husband i'm sure, and he's doing a difficuly job...but does that make him any less of a b$t5rd for taxing people to the hilt. I'm sure he and his economic advisers have public services to pay for, but that doesn't excuse the actions. Similarly there's no excuse for being a bailiff - a person not doing anyone any favours in becoming one. It's a job with a quite substantial stigma attached to it. And much deserved it is.

the reason people are scared is becuase some boneheads (more often than not built like a brick craphouse) are banging on they're door at an ungodly hour...you tell me who is responsible for the distress caused to these people who are not responsible for the debt ??
    But you are missing the point. You are completely generalising I'm not saying all baliffs are ok as I know 4 tht are nice people and jc knows some. I am saying that not all bailiffs are the same. Some do the job well and aren't pushy or over bearing.

You seem unable to make a distinction between a person and a job, much like the kids do here. But from the looks of you have had some bad experiences (rightly or wrongly) and there is no changing your mind. You seem to hate them for being over bearing and terrorising people (as they all must do) but think the ones that try and be nice about it and help the people are worse. Eh? How does that work. Or is it that you just don't like the exchange of money? Yes their job is to get money, that's because someone has gotten goods or services and not fully paid for them. Following your logic all cashiers are bast*rd cretins, lets go down Tescos and burn the lot of em.

Why people do the jobs they do is a complete different story. I don't see why you would need an excuse to be a baliff. It's a job. Get over it. You may as well say all cops are corrupt power seeking hitlers, there's no reason for them being in that job they shoudl do somethign else. Or the same reasoning for any other job that someone has a dislike for. Traffic wardens aren't exaclty loved and there are a fair proportion that are gets but they do a job.

& how are they extorting money out of people. The people owe the money so it isn't theirs. If everyone paid their debts then there wouldn't be a problem.

A really bizzare attitude

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I think that all bailiffs, whether they work for the courts or for a private business, must be certified in order to work.
    You may be right but that doesnt stop them bing scummy people. I watched a program a while ago about iirc security firms. They needed certifying but that didnt stop a good portion of them being "ex"-conmen and criminals. Even in my own village we had a security firm set up, but in reality it was no differant to a mafia protection racket with everything which went with it.

Anyway my point is being certified by the cretins we call our government and their agencies doesnt mean shat.

Thank Post
    I wasn't trying to say that being certified had anything to do with (not) being scummy - is was meant purely in response to Zoom7000's concerns that it might mean they were the kind of bailiffs who were allowed to break into houses.

Anyway - shall we move away from the 'are they or aren't they w**kers?' debate, before someone goes and says something (even more) libellous and gets DosBox and co (plus themselves) in some trouble??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    But you are missing the point. You are completely generalising I'm not saying all baliffs are ok as I know 4 tht are nice people and jc knows some. I am saying that not all bailiffs are the same. Some do the job well and aren't pushy or over bearing.

You seem unable to make a distinction between a person and a job, much like the kids do here. But from the looks of you have had some bad experiences (rightly or wrongly) and there is no changing your mind. You seem to hate them for being over bearing and terrorising people (as they all must do) but think the ones that try and be nice about it and help the people are worse. Eh? How does that work. Or is it that you just don't like the exchange of money? Yes their job is to get money, that's because someone has gotten goods or services and not fully paid for them. Following your logic all cashiers are bast*rd cretins, lets go down Tescos and burn the lot of em.

Why people do the jobs they do is a complete different story. I don't see why you would need an excuse to be a baliff. It's a job. Get over it. You may as well say all cops are corrupt power seeking hitlers, there's no reason for them being in that job they shoudl do somethign else. Or the same reasoning for any other job that someone has a dislike for. Traffic wardens aren't exaclty loved and there are a fair proportion that are gets but they do a job.

& how are they extorting money out of people. The people owe the money so it isn't theirs. If everyone paid their debts then there wouldn't be a problem.

A really bizzare attitude
    the 'nice' ones are worse becuase it's completely disingenous....it tends to be a good cop, bad cop routine whereby they'll try the 'you're confused..we'll help to sort out the confusion don't worry ' tack, and if that doesn't work the idle threats will come.

I can distinguish between a job and the individual...but it begs the question as to what kind of person would want to become a bailif - other than to throw they're weight around and get a kick out of the faux authority.

you cannot always seperate the man or woman and the job they do. I think it says a lot about them what they choose to do to earn a crust.

As i've said there are tons of jobs out there, i know if it were me i'd have trouble sleeping at night if that was what i did day in day out. Read my later post as to why it's not just about collecting money from wastrels who refuse to pay....how effective are these little hitlers in recovering money and assets from those who are liable, as i said those who don't pay they're bills as tenants know how to play the system - it is not them who are being punished.

When you're father did the job it was a very different era, different cirumstances i'd imagine.

Thank Post
    Got another Debt Collection letter today. I opened it up, final request for an 814 bill to T-Mobile before starting court proceedings. How do you rack up 814 on T-Mobile without getting cut off?

Anyway, a quick call telling them I have no idea who the addressed person is and that I have no forwarding contact or any other info, and I got a "Thank you and we will ensure you don't get any more letters."

He did say they will try to find him elsewhere. Either way, that should be one problem sorted. I'm opening them all from now on, seems to work better than "Return to Sender"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345