+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Home - Bailiffs in General; Originally Posted by Zoom7000 I just don't want any "HMRC bailiffs" breaking in when I'm not! HMRC recover debts using ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    I just don't want any "HMRC bailiffs" breaking in when I'm not!
    HMRC recover debts using court-appointed bailiffs; if you're getting contacted by debt recovery companies, then they aren't the ones who can break in. They're probably acting on behalf of a utility company, as I think that TV Licensing people turn up with the Police.

Thank Post
    Not all estate agents are arses..Nock Deighton is IMO, but Harwoods staff are nothing but friendly.

I also pay our council tax...water is up to date (PT had a watercard, I'm going to try and talk landlord into a meter), power and gas are smartcard. Phone was cut off, but that's all sorted now.

About the only debts I can see that would be an issue now would be cars or any other junk..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    HMRC recover debts using court-appointed bailiffs; if you're getting contacted by debt recovery companies, then they aren't the ones who can break in. They're probably acting on behalf of a utility company, as I think that TV Licensing people turn up with the Police.
    The letter I opened was definately a Debt Collection agency appointed by Thames Water. The other 2 identical letters that I didn't open said "Certified Bailiffs" in the Envelope Window.

Thank Post
    The letter I opened was definately a Debt Collection agency appointed by Thames Water.
    In which case all they can do is ask nicely to take your TV and laptop, if you would be so kind as to let them in. Please.

You could try speaking to Thames Water, although you might not get very far - it depends on the company. One utility company who sent bailiffs round to our house (for the previous occupants I should add!) wouldn't talk to me because they had passed the matter to the debt recovery agency and would do nothing further until the agency went back to them saying "the guy in the house says it isn't him".

Another utility company that keeps sending red bills to "the occupier" won't talk to me when I phone them up because I'm not the named account holder. Well, durrr!!

Thank Post
    In which case all they can do is ask nicely to take your TV and laptop, if you would be so kind as to let them in. Please.
    Oh no they can't, cause it ain't my debt! Besides, I don't have a TV, just a LCD Monitor with TV Tuner which is my main monitor for my PC that I use to connect to the school servers at evenings, hence it becomes use for employment and so therefore cannot be taken by bailiffs anyway! And for the record, the laptop belongs to the school and it has school stamps plastered all over it! Don't you just love how the law can play in to your hands sometimes?

I was just a bit worried about the "Certified Bailiffs" letter. I wish I'd opened it now, but oh well.

I don't think the RTS system is working. I have written all over the letters, "Return to Sender - Person does not live at this address, please do not send any further correspondance" and they still keep sending letters. So, from now on, I'll deal with these myself.

Like I said, just don't want the hassle of possible HMRC/Magistrate/Court Bailiffs trying to break in for a debt that isn't even in my name!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    i don't have a problem with the creditors....it's the trained chimps who are sent to collect the money i have a problem with.

They pray on the confusion surrounding what the law says they can and can't do....and they tend to go round wearing uniform that makes them look very official, when infact they have about as much power as a PCSO.

You may have friends who are bailiffs, but they are scumbags in they're day job. I'm sure estate agents are very nice people when they're down the pub...doesn't make they're day job any less odious.

Yes, equally people who have scarpered leaving upaid debt are scumbags, but creditors should be more wary of who they're lending to. The whole credit system allows for ridiculously easy access to credit cards, phone contracts, car finance for people who can't or won't pay....

so spare me the poor hard up creditors, they've created this rod for they're back by not being careful enough. The whole bailiff are just doing they're job line i don't agree with either, they have a choice as to what they're occupation is and if they had an ounce of decency they wouldn't feel so smug. Not everyones door they bang at 6:00am in the morning is a scarpering scumbag as you put it.
    What a strange and sad outlook you have.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But i was trying to get to the bottom of whether the idea of blacklisting by address was a popular misconception.

You're right that i should just get a credit report or two to see if what my status is.
    I thought I'd pick up this thread on blacklisting as everyone seems to have covered the basics on debt collectors

As far as I can remember, there is not such thing as an actual blacklist. Neither you or our property are ever put on a 'blacklist'. What actually happens is each credit application is taken on it own merits. Each credit provider has their own method of deciding the validity of a credit application. Most use credit scoring based on answers on the application form, some don't. Most use credit reports from the likes of Experian and Equafax, some don't.

When credit scoring is used the scoring method is wildly different between, not only competing credit suppliers, but also between products offered by a single supplier. This is why a lot of people experience the phenomenon of being turned down for Credit Card X, but being accepted by Credit Card Y - or walking out of one shop being refused and into the shop opposite and being accepted.

The credit decision should be based around your name only. No other persons credit history whether past/present residents or family members can effect the decision. if you have reason to believe that is the sole reason for refusal of credit then you have the right to appeal the decision.

If you obtain your credit report from Experian/Equafax and it contains adverse information about other individuals you can contact Experian/Equafax directly and get this data removed. If you have an incorrect adverse entry in your name you need to contact the creditor direct and ask them to contact the reference agency to get it removed.

Thank Post
    You may have friends who are bailiffs, but they are scumbags in they're day job. I'm sure estate agents are very nice people when they're down the pub...doesn't make they're day job any less odious.
    This is a bit like saying all IT techs are lazy gets, who sit around playing games all day. There are bad uns and there are people who do the job to the best of their abilities and try and help out. Now not wanting to make this too personal but my dad did a stint when he was between jobs (although this would be about 30+ years ago). He would talk to the people and try and expalin what they should do, as often they were just confused or scared of what will happen and once explained it made it easier to comprehend. But there were the utter scum bags who had no intention of paying and those are the people that things had to go further with. I also think unfortunately running into too many of these people jade them and they forget that some people have ade a mistake and are trying their best. Much like we often do with pesky kids and silly teachers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    This is a bit like saying all IT techs are lazy gets, who sit around playing games all day. There are bad uns and there are people who do the job to the best of their abilities and try and help out. Now not wanting to make this too personal but my dad did a stint when he was between jobs (although this would be about 30+ years ago). He would talk to the people and try and expalin what they should do, as often they were just confused or scared of what will happen and once explained it made it easier to comprehend. But there were the utter scum bags who had no intention of paying and those are the people that things had to go further with. I also think unfortunately running into too many of these people jade them and they forget that some people have ade a mistake and are trying their best. Much like we often do with pesky kids and silly teachers.
    So bailiffs are ok becuase you're dad was one for a while, and jcollings knows one or two.

As i said i'm sure they can do a good impression of being a normal person outside of they're 'job', but i would say the ones who use the 'softly softly we're here to help approach' are even worse. These people are trying to get money out of people, rightly or wrongly. They are cretins imo.

They're not there to help or to reassure the people who are being harrassed. There are plenty of jobs out there, some of it hard yakka, why not do one of a number of jobs rather than pester people for money.

I'll soften my stance and say that 99% of bailiffs and estate agents are scummers - the 1% are good enough people to realise they need to get out of the job/profession asap,

It's a very british attitude to say, 'oh but they're doing the job i'm sure there very nice people'. If i were on the receiving end of a telesales drone, or a team of bailifs playing good cop, bad cop or an estate agent who keeps ringing you up to try and get you interested in the properties that can't shift., i wouldn't give a monkeys about them doing they're job or if they're nice people...they are there to extort money out of people in most cases.

Gordon Brown is a loving father and husband i'm sure, and he's doing a difficuly job...but does that make him any less of a bŁ$t5rd for taxing people to the hilt. I'm sure he and his economic advisers have public services to pay for, but that doesn't excuse the actions. Similarly there's no excuse for being a bailiff - a person not doing anyone any favours in becoming one. It's a job with a quite substantial stigma attached to it. And much deserved it is.

the reason people are scared is becuase some boneheads (more often than not built like a brick craphouse) are banging on they're door at an ungodly hour...you tell me who is responsible for the distress caused to these people who are not responsible for the debt ??
    Last edited by torledo; 8th May 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    This is a bit like saying all IT techs are lazy gets, who sit around playing games all day.
    Or, All IT techs are lazy good for nothings who spend there days surfing the net and posting to the EduGeek Forums

Thank Post
    they are there to extort money out of people in most cases.
    Huh? Bailiffs are not extorting money out of anyone; they are trying to get money which someone owes, for example, on the electricity they have used for the last year, and not paid for. They cease goods to the value of the debt, and no more. Are you perhaps confusing bailiffs with loan sharks?

Thank Post
    I was just a bit worried about the "Certified Bailiffs" letter. I wish I'd opened it now, but oh well.
    I think that all bailiffs, whether they work for the courts or for a private business, must be certified in order to work. Kind of like gas engineers or electricians. Don't hold me to that though.

As for return-to-sender not working, you could try sending the letters back to the return address in a new envelope, possibly marking it 'returned mail' or something.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to note here is the harassment act. If a company contacts you twice about a matter after you have told them not to do so the first time then they are in breach of the Harassment Act. This doesn't apply if they are just letters being sent with someone else's name, but does apply if they phone you or turn up on your door step. And it applies to registered companies and their agents (so a debt collection agency would be the agent of a utility company, for example). So, if you receive any phone calls or people at your door then telling them once is all you need to do. Any more contact after that is illegal.

Thank Post
    Huh? Bailiffs are not extorting money out of anyone; they are trying to get money which someone owes, for example, on the electricity they have used for the last year, and not paid for. They cease goods to the value of the debt, and no more. Are you perhaps confusing bailiffs with loan sharks?
    The people who do tend to rack up these kind of debts are canny enough to know how to play the system...and how to avoid the bailiffs.

It's left to those unrelated to the debt to explain themselves to the chimps...
    please don't try and make out they're all round good eggs who are chasing the bad guys...because the bad guys have already upped and left with no forwarding address, leaving the bailiffs to chase they're own tails.

As i said before, the debt collection agencies are working on behalf of companies and orgs who have only themselves to blame for not being more thorough in who they lend to. Let's not kid ourselves in thinking the bailiffs are doing a worthwhile and necessary service. How many CCJ's, unpaid bills have people racked up and still been able to carry on buying things on tick.
    As i said it comes back to bite the irresponsible actions of the companies.

I know the difference between loan sharks and bailiffs and perhaps extort was a poor choice of words in that case.

Thank Post
    @ localzuk re. Harrassment Act. Does that also apply to people from AccuRead who turn up trying to read an electricity meter which I have repeatedly told both them and the supplier no longer exists and doesn't relate to my property?

I have had 3 years of fun with that one - AccuRead say they can't discuss it because they are only there to read the meter, and the supplier won't talk to me because I'm not the account holder!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast