+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Home - Bailiffs in General; Originally Posted by NickJones ....Strangely, wedging their foot in the door and pushing it open is deemed fair game, so ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    ....Strangely, wedging their foot in the door and pushing it open is deemed fair game, so long as they don't hurt you in the process. ....

According to the blurb on the Direct.Gov site above.. its not

They can't force their way in on their first visit, but they can enter through an open window, or an unlocked door. Forced entry includes pushing past you once you have opened the door to them or leaving their foot in the door to prevent you closing it. Such action would make the whole process illegal.

Thank Post
    Can somebody please respond to the links i've provided regarding the issue of previous occupiers affecting the new occupiers credit worthiness...

four people have now said they believe it has an adverse effect on credit rating....which sounds quite frankly like a load of balls to me.

Marc has even mentioned blacklisting by address which also sounds like total nonsense.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    @ICT_GUY, markcuk, localzuk.....

Will previous tenant hit my credit rating? | This is Money

and this....

For example, if the previous tenants at your student digs failed to keep up repayments on their loans - contrary to popular belief - this will not have any effect on your credit score. "For some years, previous activity at your address has been totally irrelevant to your score," says Jones. "It's only if you have a financial link with someone at that address that your credit rating may be affected."

from this online article

How can students protect their credit score | Money | guardian.co.uk
    Well... my credit rating was damaged by the prior tenants when i moved into this house (confirmed via credit checks). And my house was blacklisted by about 5 companies that I tried to deal with. So, it does affect you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It can and does happen. The onus is on you to prove you have no link to a previous resident with a poor credit rating. This is due to the ability to change names by deed poll making it easy to bypass certain credit searching techniques.

CAB have a lot of information about how to combat this.

It is also possible for people who move into property after you to affect your credit rating, so you are advised to make sure you redirect all your snail mail asap and inform all the relevant people that you have moved and the date on which you moved. From bitter experience I have found that 3 days is enough time to stuff things up ... and 3 months to fix once we realised.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    It shouldn't have done so. Do you share the same name as a previous tennant?
    Nope. Not even close. It is all well and good saying 'shouldn't' but it did and does happen. That is reality.

Thank Post
    When I bought my house there was already a pile of letters on the mat addressed to a previous occupant who had rented it. We got all sorts of bailiff letters and I just sent them back with "No longer at this address - please amend your records". on them.

The same person still uses our address to get loans and credit cards - even after 10 years - and I still get their mail. It's never affected my credit rating though.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Nope. Not even close. It is all well and good saying 'shouldn't' but it did and does happen. That is reality.
    Things have changed from my understanding in recent years, was it a recent move ? how many years are we talking about.

@tony - if indeed the previous tenants had a bad credit record and it impacted on the new tenants, then that surely applies to those living within family at the same property. Some of whom my have good credit, others bad.

chaging name by deed poll my get a person out of a jam when it comes to avoiding paying outstanding debt....but what are they're chances of getting any kind of credit with in effect no credit history as a result. Credit scoring by address and not individual is ludicrous...and i'm very sceptical when you say this 'can and does happen'. Although it's good advice about taking the proper steps and contacting CAB when you move into a new property.Better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by torledo; 7th May 2008 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Things have changed from my understanding in recent years, was it a recent move ? how many years are we talking about.
    I moved in 15 months ago.

Thank Post
    We got a chap round last week...knocked on the door, "I'm looking for x"..

"Ah..well, I'm afraid I can't help..we moved in a month or so back, and we're getting mail for all sorts still...did you say Mr X? Hang on..there's letters for someone with that first name but a different surname..hmm..come and have a look, see if it helps. No idea where he's gone though.."

"Oh. What a cheeky sod! He's bought a car and not kept up payment..sorry to bother you."

"No problem - come in and have a look at these letters, see if anything jumps out..I'm going to recycle them anyway.."

I'm expecting a few TBH..there's been a high turnaround of tenants here. Just keep a form of ID and tenancy change proof to hand, job done. My friend lives in a really iffy area, in one of 2 old tower block things that were full of undesirables..police cleared them out, and the local housing made everyone who moved in sign a contract etc.

He's had SO many bailiffs, debt collection and "break your leg" merchants at his door you wouldn't believe it. Big ex-navy biker chappie though..the last ones I saw were a bit hesitant when they threatened entry and were met with his wargaming broadsword and told "I think not."..heh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    ....Strangely, wedging their foot in the door and pushing it open is deemed fair game, so long as they don't hurt you in the process. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    According to the blurb on the Direct.Gov site above.. its not
    It depends how you define forceful entry. If they push the door and it opens, they are okay; if they break your arm in the process of pushing it, they are not...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    "No problem - come in and have a look at these letters, see if anything jumps out..I'm going to recycle them anyway.."
    Do not under any circumstances say "come in". Offer to go and get the letters (shutting the door while you do so) if you're feeling helpful, but do not invite them in. Ever.

Thank Post

Marc has even mentioned blacklisting by address which also sounds like total nonsense.
    hey if you dont wont advice dont ask for it!

but when my parents went bankrupt i had to build up my credit rating because they still took into account my old parents address...after about 3 years they only use your current one.

just check your credit file and see what score you get if its a good one no problem.

i have used these in the past checkmyfile - Credit reference, Credit file, Credit score, Rating

mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markcuk View Post
    hey if you dont wont advice dont ask for it!

but when my parents went bankrupt i had to build up my credit rating because they still took into account my old parents address...after about 3 years they only use your current one.

just check your credit file and see what score you get if its a good one no problem.

i have used these in the past checkmyfile - Credit reference, Credit file, Credit score, Rating

mark
    Mark, i'm sorry if i rubbed you up the wrong way with that comment...

But i was trying to get to the bottom of whether the idea of blacklisting by address was a popular misconception.

The lady from experian is hardly going to admit to the credit agencies cocking things up from that point of view....so it doesn't surprise me that people have had bad experiences.

You're right that i should just get a credit report or two to see if what my status is.

Thank Post
    @torledo :-)

ok mate get the credit check also helps to see if you have any redundant accounts you forgot about!!

mark

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had the same problem with the very first house I bought. Just retiring from 23 years in the RAF at the time. Waiting with my two teenage children to move in and the Estate Agent said there was a problem with the people selling clearing their mortgage - despite them moving to a bigger house nearby. After eventually moving in one evening I was out and my daughter had bailiffs turn up trying to gain entry!

Worth checking with the credit reference Agencies and I added something to the effect that any debt associated with the address was the responsibility of the previous householder - clearly stating when I moved in and became associated with the address.
    Last edited by speckytecky; 7th May 2008 at 03:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast