+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Moorside Desktop Fan and A/C Appeal in General; at present we are in a temp office, which is a class room with a wooden partition down the middle, ...
    Thank Post
    at present we are in a temp office, which is a class room with a wooden partition down the middle, in here we have
    a rack cab (with 3 servers and a load of switches in)
    4 curric servers
    2 admin servers
    (all nessessary UPSs for these
    broardband gear
    5 computers
    3 of us
    2 teachers
    in the otehr side of the devide is being used as a temp class room (in absolute dire desperate timetable emergencies = 4 periods a day)
    the wall in front of me our NEW OFFICE + SERVER ROOM is being built + CURRIC OFFICE.
    which is great but.... by building i mean banging drilling breaking banging and more drilling ... did i meantion the drilling????

oh well will be great when finished apart from the fact that no cupboards were speced also they have ignored our spec at desk heights we are gonna have 600 deep desks and 750 high (we requested 800 deep and 800 high)

and and the air con due to the building work the power has been cut to the ac (located in the class ie the other side of the devide)

so to summise WE ARE COOKING

but are getitng things sorted

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    aaaaaaaah... 19*C

You should all put in for proper A/C. The stand alone ones aren't up to the job. We just put one in a cupboard and it's pretty useless. Waste of a few hundred quid really!

Thank Post
    Can anyone recommend some good ACs?

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if there's software available to view CPU/Case temps on HP ProLiants? All this talk of death and awfulness is making me worry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    @jcollings - im soo tempted..
    @Edu-IT - staff dc, pupil dc, staff sql, staff fs, sims, staff intranet, pupil intranet, exams server, pupil fs

9 left

ePO server just been shutdown

so we're at 5 now

its just the length of time it takes for the red-tape to be navigated... hopefully gonna get it sooner - think last year it was cos b&q ran out of them !!
    We did it on the basis that the previous year one of our discs just gave up the ghost and we ended up renewing it. When it got warm the following year I simply told the SLT that if we din't shutdown we risked some expensive damage. We shutdown, red tape disappeared, money was found an it was sorted.

I think you need to make the point to your SLT that this isn't over dramatising the issue - kit can fail, be expensive to replace and the down time at a critical time of year (revision, exams etc) could be catastrophic.

Thank Post
    I do have aircon but I also have a temperature addon to my APC UPS so if the temp does get too high the UPS sends them the shutdown signal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
    Does anyone know if there's software available to view CPU/Case temps on HP ProLiants? All this talk of death and awfulness is making me worry
    HP has the Systems Manager utility which launches and tells you all about Alfie (or Jonny or what ever you call your Proliant).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good ACs?
    Hitachi Inverters are great and are very energy efficient so good on saving power costs.

Thank Post
    I trick I use in emergencies is to take a few of the suspended ceiling tiles out
    ( if the room has them), this gives another body of air to draw from. Not a long term fix but can save a server from dying on you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyds View Post

I use HP Insight Diagnostics which will tell you almost everything there is to know about your Proliant covering hardware, software and sensors.

I have also had the overheating problem at one of my schools, There were only two servers and the switches but it got the room up to 50 degrees C in the room itself and the servers paniced and shutdown.

Unfourtunatly I still have not managed to get that particular schol to invest in a full AC system as they refuse to afford it (Some of the offices have it but they can't possibly spend money on the computers - this in not the favorite of my schools).

Anyhow I mostly got around it by developing a thermal solution for the room, ripped out the drop ceiling, added an extraction fan at the highest point on one side and 'made' a hole in the opposite wall which set up a feirce convection current that keeps the room at around 20-30 degrees C year round even when it is about 30 outside. Still not a perfect solution but at least the servers have not killed themselves lately.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 7th May 2008 at 04:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123